Is anyone sad that the Chinese Democracy era is over?

I love the ChiDem -era, but for me it already stopped in 2011. That's when everything became a cash grab. If you're gonna do a cash grab, do it right with the original members. Which is happening, yay!

So no, I'm not sad.

Edited by jekylhyde

On a completely selfish note, I am sad that it is going to be mega hard and expensive to get concert tickets for them now. The shows I attended from 06 to 12 were sold out or close to it, but the only one that was a "get on Ticketmaster at the exact SECOND or the tickets will be gone" show was the 2006 Hammerstein one. With this coming tour I am pretty much expecting that I won't be able to afford or obtain tickets.

They aren't selling 70,000 seats out right away anywhere (other than maybe NYC or other big markets for GNR like Toronto) unless Taylor Swift is added to the bill. There will be tickets as low as $50. Now you may be up high but if the stadium is half full,maybe you can move down.

I am in a big market, I am afraid. And $50 is a lot for some folks. Especially when Ticketmaster adds 20 bucks of fees to it (not an exaggeration...I tried to buy a $30 to a show last week and Ticketmaster tacked $20 in fees to it) and it is then $70; and when that $70 ticket is so far back that you see nothing.

And I doubt there will be tix that low priced anyway. The scalpers will get them all and they will be jacked to double the cost on StubHub.

There are some small unanswered questions that will keep bothering me forever:

1) What did Axl mean at RIR 2001 when he shouted "OKAY NEVERMIND" during Street Of Dreams?

2) The leaked "Checkmate" chorus is so catchy! What does the rest sound like?

3) Why exactly is Bumblefoot still not talking about it? (maybe this will be cleared up in the next few years)

4) Did Buckethead really request a chicken coop in the studio?

5) "To aviod any"

I really liked CD, and was super excited with anticipation for years. However, it went on for too long and because of that it lost its excitement and meaning. Honestly, it should of came out in 2001, and been over since 2003. After that we should of had 2 or 3 more albums of new material. I really wanted to see Axl move on and be successful with the new band. That obviously never happenned, so that makes the current situation the best possible scenario we can ask for. I've never been a reunionist but I am excited about this and very hopeful we get new music. For me, new music matters the most.

The only reason that I'm sad the CD-era is over is that it looks like we won't get to hear the mythical songs locked in Axl's vault. This has been discussed to death, but if he could just release these songs and different versions (e.g 2002 mix of the blues, Shackler's with Buckethead solo) etc, I would be happy to see the back of the CD era.

For me back when I started lurking back in '04, this was more enticing than a reunion, but now seeing how the CD-era panned out...

I can't be sad when I know I'm getting Axl, Slash, and Duff together again in Guns and Stradlin is attaching himself to it, helping writing tunes, no less. That makes me very happy. Never thought there was even a chance for that.

Chinese is an album I'll probably always listen to. I love it, Axl said it was a miracle that even happened, and I believe him. The 2006 and 2010 tours were incredible imo. Axl performed all the tunes live with very powerful vocal performances and I got to see him live on a good night in 2012. Can't really complain.

The only thing that sucks is he also said CD ll is completed and was completed for a while. Probably more than 10 years. Now, I think it's likely we won't be hearing at least that version of the album.

But it may be worth it, cause I think Axl has a knack for assembling great albums that consist of many different styles and approaches. Slash, Izzy, and Duff are easier to incorporate in a Guns album surely? Axl can just use the best songs from CD ll and the best fresh and old ideas from the classic members like Down By The Ocean, the Slash song, and whatever tunes Axl likes that Izzy came up with in 2016 and they have Fortus as well. He can cook something up with Slash and Duff.

It's exciting, and I'm just happy it's going down. It can all turn to shit at anytime, which is scary, but I'm crossing my fingers Axl will keep his child-like behavior in check for the last round.

Edited by Rovim

not really. Axl's input was brilliant, but the rest of the "members" (or revolving flowing community, however you wanna call it), from Tobias to Ashba were just not of the same caliber or a good match.

I do hope to hear augmented versions of some songs. Just like what they did with inherited LA Guns/Hollywood Rose material. Also I hope to hear Steven plays Illusions and post Illusions material. No drummer successfully emulated his playing style, from actual sound of the drums, to push-pull style to cow bells.

I remember being excited about new music in 01' and thinking that the band was fairly good. They were not comparable in any way musically to original GNR, but Axl was still there and Buckethead/Finck/Stinson were doing a good job with the writing/music. Then we heard news regarding a trilogy of albums and this created more suspense. The CD release came too late and the album was not one of the greatest rock albums of all time as it was claimed to be. It was a good album with one or two great songs...also a very personal album that most people wouldn't be able to relate to. I had so much hope for the band and thought that they would take over the music scene like original GNR did. Once Finck/Buckethead left, it was over for me. The replacements were nowhere near as good/creative.

Axl was passionate about the new music/band in 01' and 15 years later, we have one album and zero impact. The reunion/regrouping has started and it seems like the past 15 years will be lost in time. All we have is a dark, esoteric album, with good songs like TWAT and Better...but they never caught on with the masses. I wonder how Axl, Bucket, Finck, Stinson, Reed etc. feel about the journey.

Incredibly relieved of anything. I mean, it was a trainwreck. I loved it live in 2006, but it was a vision that pretty much died after Bucket and especially Robin were gone. In hindsight it was doomed when CD didn't come out before 2004 to be honest. From 2008 to now it went from bad to worse and I'm glad it's finally died out. CD came out WAY too late, when it did Robin and Bucket were gone and a follow-up never happened, then Axl's voice got worse and worse, and if all of that wasn't bad enough Ashba happened.
  • Like 2

No, cause chinese democrazy destroyed GnR. In retrospective it could have been an interesting project, if Axl called NuGnR totally different than 'Guns n' Roses'. Weirdest move in Rock n' Roll history, imo. it would have been perfect if Axl released CD under a different band name with a triple CD album. That would have been a cool statement and axls vision would have been finished. The fight between axls band and velvet revolver could have been better.

The fact that Axl did not released CD 2 + 3 could mean than he always waited\hoped for a potential release with slash and Duff.

Oh also Ron is sad. Talk about going from zero to hero to zero!

It's quite comical how huge the hype has been since he and dj and stusson left while Slash and Duff came back.

You know it's gotta sting Ron, esp since he was going on all those weird Phillipines TV shows playing SCOM by himself on acoustic guitar.

Come on, the last years weren't sign enough that the CD era was over?

When Ashba joined, NuGNR became a joke but at least they were playing lots of CD material every night, that's at least respectable.

In Rio 2011, the CD era was over. From that point it was clear Axl would not care to release its lol sequel, that he had given up. From 2011 to 2014 what we saw was a ridiculous sequence of cash grab tours and residencies, no art or integrity involved. Axl wanted to milk AFD with his hired friends.

I'm sad because the 2002 lineup never had a chance. I'm sad because CD wasn't released in 2006. I'm sad because CD is miles behind the album it was supposed to be. Those were missed opportunities and I was a fan back then.

Currently I'm fucking happy, even though I don't like GNR that much anymore. Axl and Slash!! Holy fuck! Although I always sad a reunion was more likely than a new album, of course I'm surprised.

Don't be sad that the CD era is over. Trust me, nothing else would emerge from that, Axl is completely disappointed with his solo project and probably will never touch it again. Be happy to see part of real GNR sharing a stage together again. For nostalgia purposes? Yep, but how is this approach different from the last 5 years?

• Like 2