Is anyone sad that the Chinese Democracy era is over?

You know, from watching RIR 2001 in college, catching the pinnacle of the '02 "tour" at MSG, the 2004 cancellations, Bucket's departure, Piazza-Trunk, leaks, waiting breathlessly with anticipation for the Hammerstein run and the reveal of the new guitarist, going to all four nights, hearing TWAT live for the first time (and having Axl publicly acknowledge and joke about said leaks), having Robin jump over the barrier and dive onto my wife and I in our wheelchairs, seeing Izzy onstage for night four, more leaks, MSL, Skwerl, the CD reveal and leaks from the Best Buy executive conference, the CD release buildup and disappointment at Axl's shocking unwillingness to promote it, Robin's departure, and this forum...Yes...it does all leave me feeling slightly wistful; and I grew up with wearing the hell out of Appetite on cassette, Ritz '88, Tokyo on VHS, and Paris LIVE (WOW!! you can watch FROM HOME?!?) on PPV.

Looking back, Axl had that star aura in '06...He ditched the Predator, had the pullback, the leather, the jeans, the presence, and..the VOICE....

There were wildly rampant rumours around the Hammerstein run about a CD release in the subsequent weeks. Had that materialized, we may be having a different conversation...

None of this is to say that I'm somehow not excited for this reu...uh..."re-grouping." I am! I'm just not convinced that this thing is any less tenuous than anything else I've seen over the past 25 years...Will they even make it to Coachella? Who knows? Were I still twenty, that unpredictability and combustibility might still feel exciting....It doesn't. Get it together and make it work...this is the last chance saloon...

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 3

I think it's run its course. I personally liked Chinese as an album, especially as a musician. It was versatile, layered and definitely unique. With that being said, I don't think Axl should have ever referred to it as GNR. An Axl solo project would've been more palatable to GNR fans. And as good as it is, it still had some problems: Firstly, it was poorly mixed sound-wise. It was also rerecorded so much that it sounds too synthetic at times. Secondly, they waited way too long to release it. But I think CD is enjoyable especially if you refrain from comparing it to Appetite.

It will be interesting if CD II is released with Slash and Duff on board.

I think chances of that happening are very small. Either entirely new material with Slash and Duff, another "best of" or a live recording.

I'd love a set like the AC/DC backtracks compilation with all of the nuGuns material as well as older recordings.

It will be interesting if CD II is released with Slash and Duff on board.

I think chances of that happening are very small. Either entirely new material with Slash and Duff, another "best of" or a live recording.

I'd love a set like the AC/DC backtracks compilation with all of the nuGuns material as well as older recordings.

you never know.. Duff did say playing tommys parts weren't too much of a stretch. He could re record some of tommys parts and have slash rewrite a couple of solos.. Even if it's just for a couple of songs, and repackage it to release the next record. I'm sure a lot of labels are just as hesitant as axl to release new music because guns n roses is the name and it's just axl with no name musicians. With slash and duff on he record, anything could be released but who knows..

And it does sound like Izzy has actually been writing new material so. Just a thought though since it seems like duff and slash are just rejoining and the bands continuing not disbanding for a full reunion so..

I think Axl will want to put out a true GNR album. There's 3-4 unreleased Beltrami tracks.

Also there's 3 tracks Axl has wanted Slash on. Plus whatever rumored tracks. Slash and Duff finishing up doesn't seem impossible. But it might not come out as CD II or even sound like that.

Also I think the label might fund new Slash, Duff, Izzy recording sessions.

So a half CD material, half returning Guns for a self titled record could happen.

The way I figure Axl will want his material on a GNR record and nobody wants him to start over. So Slash helps him out and maybe him, Duff and Izzy knock up a few GNR rockers, with Izzy's song writing as another vital element.

Is Axl really going to write a whole bunch of new lyrics and record new vocals when he has an album of material already done?

Unless the songs are all about fuck the reunion I can't see why they wouldn't just use them. Slash could add parts and solos like Ron did.

Then if Slash, Duff, Izzy write new stuff maybe include 1-2 of them. Slash and Izzy already have credits on two known tracks.

I almost see them doing a straight reunion record. Back from the Desert. Mostly Izzy tunes with Slash and Duff also writing. Then 1-2 Axl songs.

All the ground work could be laid by Frank, Fortus, Dizzy, Pitman. All Slash has to do is add leads. Duff can re-record Tommy basslines or just leave them.

Oh also Ron is sad. Talk about going from zero to hero to zero!

It's quite comical how huge the hype has been since he and dj and stusson left while Slash and Duff came back.

You know it's gotta sting Ron, esp since he was going on all those weird Phillipines TV shows playing SCOM by himself on acoustic guitar.

Serious question, are you autistic? If so, please ignore

Edited by ZoSoRose

I hate Bumblefoot. Acted like gnr was just a big distraction from his mega solo career, which was bollocks cause now he's just ripping them off in pubs in Tanzania or somewhere. I hate buckethead. He wears a kfc bucket on his head, with a Michael myers mask, enough said. I hate DJ ashba. He has far too many tattoos, and he was just trying to be Slash. No thank you. I do not like robin finck, he was in NIN who are probably the worst band I've ever heard, only second to Radiohead. I hate Paul Tobias. He was a big reason gnr broke up. I do not mind Frank, Fortus or Tommy, at least they realised that they were just a cover band, so they kept their mouths shut, played well, got paid. I also hate pitman, he called gnr 'his other band', yeah, right. So no, even though I like a couple of CD songs, I am not one bit sad nuGuns are over, and I look forward to seeing the real Guns N'Roses again very soon.

I hate Bumblefoot. Acted like gnr was just a big distraction from his mega solo career, which was bollocks cause now he's just ripping them off in pubs in Tanzania or somewhere. I hate buckethead. He wears a kfc bucket on his head, with a Michael myers mask, enough said. I hate DJ ashba. He has far too many tattoos, and he was just trying to be Slash. No thank you. I do not like robin finck, he was in NIN who are probably the worst band I've ever heard, only second to Radiohead. I hate Paul Tobias. He was a big reason gnr broke up. I do not mind Frank, Fortus or Tommy, at least they realised that they were just a cover band, so they kept their mouths shut, played well, got paid. I also hate pitman, he called gnr 'his other band', yeah, right. So no, even though I like a couple of CD songs, I am not one bit sad nuGuns are over, and I look forward to seeing the real Guns N'Roses again very soon.

Only a Sith speaks in absolutes....

• Like 3

Did ANYBODY like Dj Ashba? I can see a point of Axl hiring all these other musicians (well, maybe not Pitman), but Ashba is a sloppy guitar player, poor songwriter and his whole appearence just "screamed" poseur. Really, what quality did he possess? Is he a really nice guy? Did Axl hire him because he wanted Ashba as a friend? Any theories?

Did ANYBODY like Dj Ashba? I can see a point of Axl hiring all these other musicians (well, maybe not Pitman), but Ashba is a sloppy guitar player, poor songwriter and his whole appearence just "screamed" poseur. Really, what quality did he possess? Is he a really nice guy? Did Axl hire him because he wanted Ashba as a friend? Any theories?

But is he really a poor songwriter? Personally I loved Saints Of Los Angeles. It's probably my favorite Mötley Crue song ever. Never been much of a Mötley Crue fan, but that song rocked. How much of that is DJ Ashba's merit? I don't know.

I hate Sixx A.M, but that's mostly cause of James Michael. Hated Ballad Of Death also, so there's a chance that DJ would have sucked as a ballad writer. But because of Saints Of Los Angeles I always thought that he might be able to pull of some nice into your face rock songs. I always wanted to pass my final judgement on DJ Ashba until I hear some GNR songs written by him. but guess I'll never know if he was any good or not.

Also, I think one reason why Axl wanted him is because he has a great stage presence. Even if you hate his presence and his poses, you can't deny that he put a lot of energy into his performance.

• Like 1

If Frank, Richard and Pitman are still there and they play a few CD era songs, that era hasn't been erased and isn't over. Axl can have his cake and eat it too. There are three core members in the band, Slash and Duff are back, and Frank, Richard, etc. give the nu-gnr era continuity.

If Frank, Richard and Pitman are still there and they play a few CD era songs, that era hasn't been erased and isn't over. Axl can have his cake and eat it too. There are three core members in the band, Slash and Duff are back, and Frank, Richard, etc. give the nu-gnr era continuity.

Unfortunate choice of words!

• Like 2

The remix of 'Better' featuring him was pretty good.

Edited to make more sense.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide

No not really, I mean to each their own, but IMO no. The original, CD Better is the better ? version (pardon my pun). The Ashba and BBF versions were fun for a minute because they were "new music", but I never listen to them anymore. I never really liked Finck, tbh, but his version IS the best version. Edited by Iron MikeyJ

No not really, I mean to each their own, but IMO no. The original, CD Better is the better version (pardon my pun). The Ashba and BBF versions were fun for a minute because they were "new music", but I never listen to them anymore. I never really liked Finck, tbh, but his version IS the best version.

To be fair, i never said that Ashba's version was better. Just that it was 'pretty good'.

Like you said though, it's all personal opinion. I like them all for different reasons.

Oh also Ron is sad. Talk about going from zero to hero to zero!

It's quite comical how huge the hype has been since he and dj and stusson left while Slash and Duff came back.

You know it's gotta sting Ron, esp since he was going on all those weird Phillipines TV shows playing SCOM by himself on acoustic guitar.

Serious question, are you autistic? If so, please ignore

I suggest you do some reading and learn more about autism.

• Like 1

I think one reason why Axl wanted him is because he has a great stage presence. Even if you hate his presence and his poses, you can't deny that he put a lot of energy into his performance.

But that energy was used for negative shit:

- Hulk hogan

- Side duck walk

- Blowing kisses

- Playingthe snare drum in Madagascar

- Angel/birdy/butterfly hands

- Ridiculous halloween and new year's attire

- All-around cliché posing

- 10000 custom guitars that looked like shit

- Monster and Jagermeister advertisement onstage

• Like 1