Other bands influence on GNR

sonofnazareth

Hi Marc,

Do you know if any the bands below influenced GNR or if the members ever spoke about their love for these bands. I can hear the influence of these bands in GNR's music.

UFO, Nazareth, Uriah Heep, Grand Funk Railroad.

Thanks.

Axl said Nazareths Love Hurts was the song that got him singing in his higher register. And he was also a fan of Grand Funk. Sang Bad Time before SCO'M at alot of the shows on the UYI tour. And i think GNR covered them in '85 or '86 also. Pretty sure Slash was a fan of UFOs Strangers album too.

• Like 1

GNR covered Grand Funk back in their early days

And here is a quote from Slash citing UFO:

“I remember playing ‘If You Want Blood You’ve Got It’ by AC/DC day and night. ‘Cheap Trick at Budokan’ was another huge record for me. Led Zeppelin‘s ‘The Song Remains the Same’ was a pretty good one. The Who’s ‘Live at Leeds’ is a classic. UFO‘s ‘Strangers in the Night’ was a record that I played the hell out of when I was younger. Oh, I can’t forget ‘Double Live Gonzo!’
Edited by WhazUp

I know that UFO, Zepplin, Aerosmith, Sabbath were big influences on Slash but they were not the only ones. As far as the other guys there were many bands that influenced them to become interested in playing music. I know that Izzy had different kinds of influences some for the way the band looked and some for the way the band sounded. I guess you can say that the NY Dolls and Hanoi Rocks had something to do with the way Izzy used to look but in the end it was a mix or Rock Hard Rock Punk and blues that rubbed off on the guys and they each put in something that ended up being park of the puzzle that made GNR work the way they did.

Edited by recklessroad

GNR covered Grand Funk back in their early days

And here is a quote from Slash citing UFO:

“I remember playing ‘If You Want Blood You’ve Got It’ by AC/DC day and night. ‘Cheap Trick at Budokan’ was another huge record for me. Led Zeppelin‘s ‘The Song Remains the Same’ was a pretty good one. The Who’s ‘Live at Leeds’ is a classic. UFO‘s ‘Strangers in the Night’ was a record that I played the hell out of when I was younger. Oh, I can’t forget ‘Double Live Gonzo!’

i cant believe how good this cover is

its like 18 times better than the original

f**k, these five guys are good