can anyone tell me what went down at Reading 2010?

I watched a 4 minute clip of Axl and the band playing a piece of paradise city and that was it.

Did the venue pull the plug and cut the power so that it was impossible for them to continue playing???

I understand Axl was a hour late so he didn't have time to finish the set and he looked like he wanted to keep playing...

So I am just wondering how'd the venue stop Axl? Cut the power?

Axl showed up late, the people with Reading were in contact with Axl's management the whole night telling them to adjust their set to meet the time restraints of the curfew. They thought they could just pay some fees and be good, but after the curfew time hit they pulled the plug on the band. I think Axl was mad he had to shorten his set then going into the encore he had the power pulled so he wasn't happy.

I think Axl felt he did what he could and Reading officials were fed up with him and management.

But idk if someone has a first hand account that would be cool that's just what I remember it being like.

Axl being childish and ridiculous as usual. Get there on time and play the show like the contract states. He would never be able to hold a real job..he honestly lucked out becoming a rock star..lol.

Haha that Axl Rose carton welcome to McDonalds on you tube comes to my mind

https://youtu.be/tC3XtLH1Kvo

Edited by romeorose

I'm still confused...

I see this

https://youtu.be/fd2xVtDdY8k

But then I see this

https://youtu.be/PdczsZesLI4

They played the full song Paradise City starting at 11:58 pm going over the curfew, they completed that song, and it seems like that is usually the song GNR always closes with, and they had huge fireworks at the end of the song...

So did Axl actually just shorten his setlist as he was told to do?

Or, did they had some point pull the electricity midsong somewhere?

Because if they didn't get one of their songs interrupted and they played paradise city,

and these

01 - Chinese Democracy
02 - Welcome To The Jungle
03 - It's So Easy
04 - Mr Brownstone
05 - Sorry
06 - Richard Fortus - Guitar Solo
07 - Live And Let Die
08 - This I Love
09 - Rocket Queen
10 - Dizzy Reed - Solo
11 - Street Of Dreams
12 - You Could Be Mine
13 - Dj Ashba - Guitar Solo
14 - Sweet Child O' Mine
15 - Axl Piano Solo/Another Brick In The Wall
16 - November Rain
17 - Nightrain

I mean it seems like they got to play many of their best hits.

I don't see why Axl was so mad about it.

But then again, it was a field in the middle of nowhere 45 minutes from the city, so I don't understand why a curfew is so important and why couldn't they just let Axl play over the time slotted and pay the fees for doing so like he's done in the past.

Edited by romeorose

Ok, as I was there I will try to help you.

This story begins years before the Reading show in 2010. In 2002, GNR headlined the Reading festival and ran way over time. Probably to avoid a riot the promoter and the council yielded on this occasion so that they could finish their set. For doing this, the festival was fined heavily and many complaints were made by residents in the area. Despite the festival being in a park, there are a number of houses surprisingly close to the area where music is played.

So 2010 rolls around and in the days before the festival, the promoter warns Axl that he won't tolerate him running over time again and will cut the power off if he does. Subsequently, that's exactly what happened. Axl and GNR protested by remaining on the stage and played some of Paradise City. The video you have with the fireworks above is at Leeds, not Reading.

So yeah, it was an interesting night to say the least. Some moments were great like when it rained during November Rain and some of the performances were very good. However, I do remember that there were a lot of upset GNR fans walking home after this episode, plus a lot of 'neutrals' were dead set against the band before they even hit the stage and were yelling abuse relentlessly. I vowed never to go back to Reading after this and it's one of the reasons I won't go to see GNR at a festival ever again.

This story begins years before the Reading show in 2010. In 2002, GNR headlined the Reading festival and ran way over time. Probably to avoid a riot the promoter and the council yielded on this occasion so that they could finish their set. For doing this, the festival was fined heavily and many complaints were made by residents in the area. Despite the festival being in a park, there are a number of houses surprisingly close to the area where music is played.

So 2010 rolls around and in the days before the festival, the promoter warns Axl that he won't tolerate him running over time again and will cut the power off if he does. Subsequently, that's exactly what happened. Axl and GNR protested by remaining on the stage and played some of Paradise City. The video you have with the fireworks above is at Leeds, not Reading.

So yeah, it was an interesting night to say the least. Some moments were great like when it rained during November Rain and some of the performances were very good. However, I do remember that there were a lot of upset GNR fans walking home after this episode, plus a lot of 'neutrals' were dead set against the band before they even hit the stage and were yelling abuse relentlessly. I vowed never to go back to Reading after this and it's one of the reasons I won't go to see GNR at a festival ever again.

Why is it Reading's fault and not this overgrown toddler we call Axl?

A/ The Reading festival has been running since 1961 and is consequentially considered one of the United Kingdom's more successful festivals; most bands manage to play there and meet the curfew. Since GN'R's 2010 disaster there have been five more Reading festivals which have seen bands - Foo Fighters (2012), Queens of the Stone Age (2014), Metallica (2015) - play successfully.

B/ The curfew and proximity of residents was extent, widely known about and something which could not be ignored.

C/ The band were warned in advance by the festival that they would be pulled from the bill if they failed to comply with the time regulations.

From every aspect you care to analyse it, it is surely toddler Axl who is to blame and not the festival.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

A/ The Reading festival has been running since 1961 and is consequentially considered one of the United Kingdom's more successful festivals; most bands manage to play their and meet the curfew. Since GN'R's 2010 disaster there have been five more festivals which have seen bands - Foo Fighters (2012), Queens of the Stone Age (2014), Metallica (2015) - play successfully.

B/ The curfew and proximity of residents was extent, widely known about and something which could not be ignored.

C/ The band were warned in advance by the festival that they would be pulled from the bill if they failed to comply with the time regulations.

From every aspect you care to analyse it, it is surely toddler Axl who is to blame and not the festival.

Ummm, buddy, why are you so sensitive? I didn't apportion sole 'blame' to anybody.

The "I vowed never to go back to Reading after this.." is in relation to the aforementioned people yelling abuse at the festival and generally displaying an anti GNR/Axl hostility. I also mention after that, that I don't want to see GNR at festival after this evening. I'm more than happy to see them at their own shows. Did you fail to see that part?

By the way, if you can get past the 'toddler' name calling, would you care to offer me a refund on behalf of this 'great' festival for the portion of the show I paid money to see and didn't?

• Like 1

Re the lateness (which btw has been a complete non-issue for around 5 years), is it that hard to imagine that you don't wanna go on until you feel you can really "bring it"? Makes some sense to me at least.

Also, pretty redundant to compare this to a real job - he wouldn't have to put on a show and give himself to a big audience if he did :)

A/ The Reading festival has been running since 1961 and is consequentially considered one of the United Kingdom's more successful festivals; most bands manage to play their and meet the curfew. Since GN'R's 2010 disaster there have been five more festivals which have seen bands - Foo Fighters (2012), Queens of the Stone Age (2014), Metallica (2015) - play successfully.

Ummm, buddy, why are you so sensitive? I didn't apportion sole 'blame' to anybody.

The "I vowed never to go back to Reading after this.." is in relation to the aforementioned people yelling abuse at the festival and generally displaying an anti GNR/Axl hostility. I also mention after that, that I don't want to see GNR at festival after this evening. I'm more than happy to see them at their own shows. Did you fail to see that part?

By the way, if you can get past the 'toddler' name calling, would you care to offer me a refund on behalf of this 'great' festival for the portion of the show I paid money to see and didn't?

But then the ''aforementioned people'' were ''yelling abuse...and generally displaying an anti GNR/Axl hostility'' for good reason? I repeat, Reading occurs every year without similar scenes. GNR/Axl should feel morally obliged to refund your money. They knew of the curfew and warning (they probably knew of this when they signed the original contract to play) yet did not meet their obligations; why should Reading pay for Axl's playground temper tantrums and laziness?

Edited by DieselDaisy

GnR didn't play Reading in 2002.

But then the ''aforementioned people'' were ''yelling abuse...and generally displaying an anti GNR/Axl hostility'' for good reason? I repeat, Reading occurs every year without similar scenes. GNR/Axl should feel morally obliged to refund your money. They knew of the curfew and warning (they probably knew of this when they signed the original contract to play) yet did not meet their obligations; why should Reading pay for Axl's playground temper tantrums and laziness?

LOL. "For good reason." Not in my opinion, and I was actually there. Were you? So far all you do in your responses is bend my words to suit your argument.

You state things very definitively regarding GNR's contract with the festival which is concerning. How do you know? Do you have a vested interest in the Reading festival or something? Besides, who cites a 'warning' issued days before the gig as a contractual term? Ridiculous.

"Why should Reading pay for Axl's temper tantrums and laziness?" Ummm, what temper tantrum exactly. They show didn't cease due to a 'tantrum' it ceased because the power was cut. I think you just have an axe to grind so to speak.

Either way, personally, I won't miss attending the Reading festival.

GnR didn't play Reading in 2002.

Was it some other year or did they just play Leeds in 2002?

LOL. "For good reason." Not in my opinion, and I was actually there. Were you? So far all you do in your responses is bend my words to suit your argument.

You state things very definitively regarding GNR's contract with the festival which is concerning. How do you know? Do you have a vested interest in the Reading festival or something? Besides, who cites a 'warning' issued days before the gig as a contractual term? Ridiculous.

"Why should Reading pay for Axl's temper tantrums and laziness?" Ummm, what temper tantrum exactly. They show didn't cease due to a 'tantrum' it ceased because the power was cut. I think you just have an axe to grind so to speak.

Either way, personally, I won't miss attending the Reading festival.

Typical Axl apoligist!

Let me set up the scenario for you here: GN'R are late; people are calling Axl a 'cunt'; are you saying that this, Axl being called a 'cunt', is just ''random'', that the lateness is not the reason for people calling Axl a ''cunt''? (Well they could have been calling him a cunt regardless as his, how can I put it, reputation rather precedes him?). Further, are you saying that Guns were not aware of a curfew, and that a, ''for Guns to play x in allocated spot, for minimum x time, etc'' would not be a contractual stipulation at a festival, and that someone did not forewarn them (when it was apparent that there was no urgency to arrive at the festival on Axl's part), that the ''power would be cut if the concert runs over the curfew''? Absurd!

No I was not there but I have been at two late Axl showings, one of which ended in an Axl hissy fit and a curtailed ending. And Reading ceased because of Axl's tardiness and unwillingness to abide by the curfew - fact - so stop trying to excuse ginger bollocks his toddler behaviour.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I was there front row for Reading 2010. Pushed to the front when Lostprophets started about 5pm and waited all through Biffy Clyro and QOTSA.

Axl came on an hour late, played most of the set fine. During nightrain he threw up his mic and walked off. Power got cut, then they started to play Paradise City with just Frank on drums and Axl on a megaphone with the crowd singing along. He then said they wouldn't play Leeds on the Sunday. The crowd right down at the front was singing along with Paradise City pretty loud, and spirits were fine, but I can imagine that people other than the hardcore fans down at the front left early and weren't happy. Pretty surreal!

Re the lateness (which btw has been a complete non-issue for around 5 years), is it that hard to imagine that you don't wanna go on until you feel you can really "bring it"? Makes some sense to me at least.

Also, pretty redundant to compare this to a real job - he wouldn't have to put on a show and give himself to a big audience if he did :)

Do yourself a favour and stop trying to justify or defend Axls actions, especially his lateness.

People can try and suggest that Axls preparations are like nothing any other si Ger does...but in reality, they are just the same... He just starts them about an hour or two late each night.

If be wanted he can be on stage, on time, ready and in the right mindset.

It doesn't need a full day of perfection beforehand either. Got to the venue late? OK, start preparing earlier, like when the support bands are on.

But Yep, he's been better recently (it hasn't been 5 years though). Hoping that he has it together for the upcoming run.

Edited by Tom2112