04/08/2016 - Las Vegas - T-Mobile Arena

James Bond

I'm just waking up from last night.  

Judging by the clips taken mostly by phones, I don't think any of the capture how things sounded live and in person.  My personal opinion is that it was an incredible performance.  Slash and Duff are flat out better players than they were years ago, and I haven't seen Axl put this much effort into performing in years.  I remember from Slash's book that Axl never did soundchecks.  He did soundchecks yesterday.  They did Coma, which was difficult for a young Axl to perform.  I don't think you can just wing that, you need  to put in some time and effort.  Slash was in the zone.  Is' been years since he was crazy and running around, nowadays he focused on playing, but still, there he was doing a big leap for Estranged.  His take on the CD material solos transformed those songs from gratuitous wanking into something pretty good.  There were too many things that required practice and discussion for me to think that they haven't done a ton of work on fixing their relationship.  

People might say there wasn't much interaction between anyone, and that is true, but Axl can talk to people with his mic into other people's monitors that we can't hear, the throne clearly got in the way of that, it's not like Axl was interacting with Fortus, etc.  However, there were many times when the big 3 were all in the same space playing.  My favorite shot was during the Layla coda, when Duff and Slash came over to the piano that Axl was on and played.  All you could see is the big 3 on the video screen and it was a super cool show.  

It was an amazing show, don't let anyone tell you different.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

How long realistically do you think slash has spent reworking the solo? I mean it must be hard to just walk in and put your own spin on a solo that was written by the guitarist that replaced you. I enjoyed his take on TIL and never expected it to surpass Fincks incredible original.. 

When it was Finck doing Slash s solos did you said the same and felt the same ?

For all of you tha gave shit comemts abought Finck and Buckt over the years when they are doing Slash solos see now how is dificult to play others musicians parts.

Slash solo on TIL is worse than Finck original at the moment. 

Edited by KIKOZ3

3 minutes ago, KIKOZ3 said:

When it was Finck doing Slash s solos did you said the same and felt the same ?

For all of you tha gave shit comemts abought Finck and Buckt over the years when they are doing Slash solos see now how is dificult to play others musicions parts.

Slash solo on TIL is worse than Finck original at the moment. 

Well the thing is I prefer Slash's internal sense of feeling and his own note choices than Fink to begin with, which is why I much perfer Slash's take on TIL and think that Fink's interpretations of Slash's material was lesser

Slash's solos make it sound more like old-GNR and to me that is a great thing.  And his TIL sings too, I love it

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

Having had the chance to now think over the entire setlist; the highlights for me remain coma and the solo on TIL. Slash is and always will remain the best. Bucket, Robin et al did not turn GN'R into a household name. They weren't the lead guitarist on AFD and UYI, they didn't help write the guns classics that we all enjoy. It was slash. GN'R will always be those 5 guys and Matt sorum (for UYI) and that's that. 

54 minutes ago, thewolfshead said:

Fuck me the emotion Slash puts into that solo.

Amazing. Slash gave it the passion it needed. I wonder if it's the same solo he recorded for the original demo.

The CD recorded version felt too stilted compared to the emotion of Axl's vocals.

21 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The opening duo of Easy/Brownstone was pretty awesome. Frank even played the Brownstone intro right lol. CD was really cool, I spent all of that song listening to Slash, I really liked his playing on it. Jungle of course was awesome too.
DTJ was one I was really looking forward to, and Axl/the band sounded great except Frank played it way too fast. Like way, way too fast. That was fine though because it meant Estranged came just that much earlier - the song I was most looking forward to and totally expected to be the highlight of the show, it was amazing to see/hear Slash playing that. Definitely just one of many examples that night that showed how well Axl and Slash just naturally fit together.
I've never been a fan of LALD, but last night's version kicked ass, and Axl did the screams better than he has in the last 14 years, that's for sure. Right before Rocket Queen Slash played a little lick that me and the guy beside me both instantly recognized as Riad, but it was like a little 'tease' before they kicked into RQ. During Slash's talkbox solo Frank started drumming way too fast and it didn't sound right, but by the slide solo he'd worked it out. TIL was probably the highlight of the CD songs, Slash's solo was awesome and Axl just stared at him while he did it, he looked like he was thinking "Man, I should've given you this song in the 90's, that was awesome".
But now for the real highlight of the show - fucking COMA. Axl said something like "We're gonna try something.... this is a happy song" then the heartbeat started, and I went nuts. I couldn't believe I wasn't dreaming, they were actually playing my favorite fucking song, for the first time in 23 years, and like the 5th time ever. I'm still ecstatic about it :DI thought for sure they'd have to slow it down but nope, they played it fast and fucking killed it. At the end Axl was giving it 150% and you could tell it was special for the band too.
The intro to better sounded awesome, Slash modifying the riff verse into the intro and Duff/Melissa doing the vocals was cool. Axl kinda slipped into his mickey voice for the first half but killed the second half. Wish You Were Here was a really cool jam, hope they keep that as the 'piano moving' song. Nov Rain was good, but Slash's solo's on it were great, easily the highlight.
The 'new' KOHD sounded awesome! Really sounded like the 80's version with a singalong added into it, I was pleasantly surprised with it - and Axl held the notes at the end a long time, he sounded fantastic on this one, then Nightrain kicks in and they absolutely slay it. Slash playing that solo was something special, for sure.
I thought it was funny that during PC, Axl missed the whistle and just kinda looked at it in his hand like 'ah fuck', and chucked it aside :lol:
After the bow, Slash and Frank both gave Melissa hugs, and Axl and Slash walked off together grinning at each other like, "We just fucking killed that show. We're back."

Dude, thank you for your review but you didn't even mention Richard Fortus even once... that's not cool. What's your feedback about him? 

46 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

It's really hard to compare 2 solos as good as Finck's and Slash's respective solos on these ChiDem songs. It's not like when we were comparing Finck's to Ashba's, in which Ashba's clearly fucking sucks ass, now you have 2 great guitarists with 2 great solos. I wouldn't necessarily put one above the other.

Finck ans Ashba were hacks, who created a solo which "they" thought Slash would have come up with (under instructions by Axl). And the finck solo on the album version of TIL "did" sound like something Slash would come up with. but guess what, they weren't Slash (how good they technically are is irrelevant, really), just two players in a tribute band. Now Slash has put the record straight. His solo has infintely more emotion and soul than the album version.

Edited by action
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, action said:

Finck ans Ashba were hacks, who created a solo which "they" thought Slash would have come up with. And the solo on the albums version of TIL "did" sound like Slash would come up with. but guess what, they weren't Slash (how good they technically are is irrelevant, really), just two players in a tribute band. Now Slash has put the record straight. His solo has infintely more emotion and soul than the album version.

Cool!  Does your ass contain more Gnr facts?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Caraibes said:

Dude, thank you for your review but you didn't even mention Richard Fortus even once... that's not cool. What's your feedback about him? 

I liked Fortus, he was his usual energetic self and complimented Slash quite well. His leads on KOHD sounded great. I'm looking forward to seeing how he and Slash gel on any other songs that get added to the mix, but as for last night I thought he was definitely 'standing back', so to say, just playing a really solid rhythm guitar, not many solo's.

1 hour ago, KIKOZ3 said:

If you can pass the image...

Its all about the music man, the Nightrain outro, the TWAT outro the Sorry outro...the KNOHD solo.

This guy's playing did NOTHING for me! His solos to me were just as good as none.