Steven Tyler On GN'R Reunion: I've Been Working On It For Years, Ask Slash

Yeah I heard him mention how he's seen axl out a few times over the last 2 or 3 years and really helped. I'm sure it meant quite a bit to axl hearing Stevens point of view with all the problems he had with Joe perry over the years and reuniting there. At least it seems he helped at least open axls mind on it.

So while I don't think Steven can take sole credit, it does appear that he could have influenced axl considering the amount of respect axl has for him.

It's still crazy when you hear Steven refer to "What happened," (on Stern) how his voice gets serious... and we keep hearing that SOMETHING HAPPENED and it wasn't some girlfriend bullshit.... from lots of different sources. And nobody dares to elaborate.

I wonder if we'll ever know.

Edited by Ant

It's still crazy when you hear Steven refer to "What happened," (on Stern) how his voice gets serious... and we keep hearing that SOMETHING HAPPENED and it wasn't some girlfriend bullshit.... from lots of different sources. And nobody dares to elaborate.

Do people generally think it goes beyond Slash quitting? Over time, as I've read about the break-up, it seems like the rift was because Slash quit (which accompanied Duff leaving), leaving Axl alone, looking like the bad guy, and vulnerable. Axl even kind of refers to Slash in a humorous/complimentary way in that 1999 interview with Kurt Loder:

Axl just honestly says he couldn't find anyone to replace Slash, and there is some jesting behind the comment. The tone of the voice is complimentary on Slash's behalf mixed with frustration over not being able to replace him. Loder even responds to the remark with a friendly chuckle, not the way you'd respond to someone discussing somebody they hold insane hate for because they were wronged in some insanely mean matter. When you hear Axl talking about Slash right there, there isn't passionate hate like you'd expect if their rift came from a girl, or one of them hurting somebody close to the other

And then when Axl posted on this forum, he talked about how Slash and Duff were not forced away, they chose to leave. Again, this doesn't sound like there's some deep, angry secret that led to Axl and Slash not speaking for 20 years. Looking at Slash's remarks too, it sounds like the rift was Slash chose to leave, which really hurt Axl. Matt gives an account of Axl saying HE was GN'R. Slash leaving showed that that wasn't the case. GN'R is a team.

I could be completely wrong, but sometimes I think people are looking for something that isn't there when they speculate about the delusion of Axl and Slash's friendship. I think it's apparent; Slash and Duff leaving, especially after Izzy, it left Axl completely alone and the legacy over. So what does Axl do? Reforms and is set on not losing and spends years trying to win something he perceived; that he was right and he was going to succeed without them.

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

Do people generally think it goes beyond Slash quitting? Over time, as I've read about the break-up, it seems like the rift was because Slash quit (which accompanied Duff leaving), leaving Axl alone, looking like the bad guy, and vulnerable. Axl even kind of refers to Slash in a humorous/complimentary way in that 1999 interview with Kurt Loder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Ec6D4VnC0

Axl just honestly says he couldn't find anyone to replace Slash, and there is some jesting behind the comment. The tone of the voice is complimentary on Slash's behalf mixed with frustration over not being able to replace him. Loder even responds to the remark with a friendly chuckle, not the way you'd respond to someone discussing somebody they hold insane hate for because they were wronged in some insanely mean matter. When you hear Axl talking about Slash right there, there isn't passionate hate like you'd expect if their rift came from a girl, or one of them hurting somebody close to the other

And then when Axl posted on this forum, he talked about how Slash and Duff were not forced away, they chose to leave. Again, this doesn't sound like there's some deep, angry secret that led to Axl and Slash not speaking for 20 years. Looking at Slash's remarks too, it sounds like the rift was Slash chose to leave, which really hurt Axl. Matt gives an account of Axl saying HE was GN'R. Slash leaving showed that that wasn't the case. GN'R is a team.

I could be completely wrong, but sometimes I think people are looking for something that isn't there when they speculate about the delusion of Axl and Slash's friendship. I think it's apparent; Slash and Duff leaving, especially after Izzy, it left Axl completely alone and the legacy over. So what does Axl do? Reforms and is set on not losing and spends years trying to win something he perceived; that he was right and he was going to succeed without them.

He did succeed without them but made very bad choices while doing so.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/26/steven-tyler-guns-roses-axl-rose

“I said, ‘You need to get f—ing back together again soon, because we all miss you,’” Tyler said when recounting conversations with Axl Rose. “I have such a huge ego about keeping the fire and the music together. If people come up to me and say ‘Dude, I got laid to your music’ or a woman comes up and says ‘We got married to your songs,’ you had something to do with the fabric of people. Guns N’ Roses had something to do with the fabric of humans on this planet.”
Edited by shjtjustgotreal
  • Like 1

Thought there was already a thread for this..? Oh well..

I listened to the whole Steven Tyler interview to understand it in context. He said it straight up, he's not taking credit but he'd like to think he gave axl the necessary kick in the pants like Jon Bon jovi did for him, and sometimes you need that. Tyler needed it and axl apparently did too. And he was right, axl is amazing on his own but so much better with the original lineup, that's what people want and now thankful, that's what they're going to get.

End of story..

We'll never know of course, but it is interesting to speculate. He did JUST go out on tour with Slash. Its not inconcievable to think Slash said "man I miss playing bigger places like this. If I were back in Guns" and Steven said "you could be." Or if Steven actively said "why the hell don't you guys play anymore? I know there's bad blood, but seriously, we're a band thats made it through all that shit and we're better and richer and happier for it." I could easily see it being done both ways.

Its harder for me to picture someone convincing Axl. Even Tyler. Cause its not like it was lost on Axl. He had to know its what many wanted. And I can't imagine Tyler was the only "legend" that talked to him about it. The only one that could have made a difference, as we said, is Duff, who knows the whole thing obviously. I could honestly see Axl getting pissed when even someone like Steven is begging him for one. I could see Axl being like "come on man, you know what I've been trying to do here. I expect it from the press, but not you."

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But I don't really see Tyler being a key part, at least not through Axl. Maybe through Slash. But regardless, its fun to hear him talk about it, mainly cause he's so uncensored and knows how to weave a tale that, even if its a lie, it'll be pretty interesting to listen to.

Edited by gunsfanoldie
  • Like 1

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/26/steven-tyler-guns-roses-axl-rose

“I said, ‘You need to get f—ing back together again soon, because we all miss you,’” Tyler said when recounting conversations with Axl Rose. “I have such a huge ego about keeping the fire and the music together. If people come up to me and say ‘Dude, I got laid to your music’ or a woman comes up and says ‘We got married to your songs,’ you had something to do with the fabric of people. Guns N’ Roses had something to do with the fabric of humans on this planet.”

1) Since 1996, I bet millions of fans, crew members, band members, other musicians, icons, press reporters, friends etc. mustve asked Axl to end this trainwreck and go back to the original lineup (or atleast Slash)... but he didnt care.

So I dont think anyone can take credit for it. Something mustve happened personally that made him take this decision. I bet it had a lot to do with 'what do i do now?'.

2) In Eddie Trunk's TMS interview... Axl said he wanted to tour CD and then think about other albums. However, the touring ran its course... they did what they could. The unstable lineups didnt help him charge up to make an album. What do I do now?

3) Guitarists quit. Hiring new players and then touring for 4/5 years more to gel with them was tiring.

4) Rock is dead. No one is buying albums... hardly any band is touring successfully or is popular in mainstream. Plus they are all getting old... this is probably the only chance left for them to do kick ass shows. Its time for petty fights to end and the bands that do have some mojo left in them to rock out and make rock n roll mainstream again.

I still doubt Axl will record with original lineup... coz I dont see any fire left in him or any rock band for that matter. Its just that vintage bands/some 80s bands like Metallica or GNR that can tour better than others... so why not make some money while you can.

I don't think it was directed only at Steven Tyler. There have already been a handful of people that think they got it done and I'm sure many people have tried to get that done even I have been saying things for years that I hoped got back to Axl. The statement the band made should stop other people form coming forward to say they had something to do with what's going on. I would have to say that duff was the key and the perfect middle man and is most likely the one that helped pull it together but still in the end it was really up Axl to make this happen. The fact that the partnership is working together again is good enough and doesn't matter who' got it done as long as it's done.

• Like 4

I wonder what Slash thinks about all this. He's very friendly with those Aerosmith guys, and is a big fan. I think this attack was unnecessary, but then that's Axl.

Well, it's obvious that Tyler got nothing to do with all of this and he just talking out of his ass to garner some media attention, so this is one of the rare occasions when i agree with a GNR twitter post

Also you could be a fan of his music, but you could point out if he lies at the same time.

But i have a feeling that the post was more directed to Howard who always taking a piss on GNR

(don't get me wrong, i like his radio shows)

Edited by Strange Broue