Tour over priced for the demand?

KISS has been doing it since the early 2000s. I believe they were among the first. Many bands followed suit with the "meet and greet" business. As someone who has done the KISS one, I must say they truly do it right. You meet the band, watch the soundcheck, get autographs, great seats, and so on. They don't pad it out with crap like "VIP drinks" and whatnot that has nothing to do with the band.

Nowadays, the venues and promoters seem to offer all kinds of "VIP" stuff with little to no band involvement. It's their way of making extra money off fans who are willing to shell out for the best seats in the house. Often they claim that VIP packages help them to lower the costs of the regular tickets which is total bull. Generally, in the days leading up to and including show day, any remaining unsold VIP seats will become just regular seats at regular price.

Well. Meet and greets are a different story than those packages. But really the only "right" way would be to raffle it off among fan club members, like Metallica does, and not make the very people who put them on the pedestal sell their liver to afford buying a meet and greet.

And don't get me started with those crappy venue "VIP" shit. I really can't believe that there are people stupid enough to buy that crap.

• Like 1

Yes. It is overpriced and a slap into the face of all the people who supported the various GNR members over the years, no matter in what dump they played. But getting that out of the way, Las Vegas shows are usually the most expensive on a tour. So I'm not quite sure if those are the tour prices, but really to fill stadiums, they should have lots of cheaper tickets. And really fuck those fucking madly expensive "VIP" packages.

I do not honestly remember any of this 'VIP culture' when I used to regularly go to shows in the 1990s - early naughties. It seems to have cropped up in the last ten years. VIPs were traditionally friends/family of the artists, competition winners or fan club members (as in the case of Metallica).

Yes. Any "VIP" who has to pay for it, is not a VIP. You are simply not a VIP if you have to pay for it. Just a douchebag with too much money and/or no sense for the worth of things. If you pay money for these packages you're either rich or love being fucked in the ass.

Jesus Christ

• Like 1

Does the VIP thing in this has the Meet N Greet?

Not from everything I've read, no. It looks to me at least like the coolest part of all of it is getting a pre-show picture on the stage.

$2500 for a picture on the stage before the show......Nope.....I'll Pass.

I hope they do Meet N Greets in the Future, personally I think they should not cost more than $100.

• Like 1

Nope. Considering the top tier $2500 which is absolutely ridiculous, you would think you'd get to meet the band. $900 was what it cost for the top tier KISS one in 2009 when I did it. They've since gone up, but nevertheless, once it gets in the thousands it's ridiculous no matter who it is.

For me, I did the KISS one as a "once in a lifetime" thing. It was a lot of fun. I don't do vacations, I mean, sitting on the beach for a week somewhere isn't my cup of tea, so for a treat that year I figured what the hell. I'd rather spend my money on an experience like that then a vacation. I don't get why some people are so offended when I tell them I did it. Over the years a lot of people tell me how stupid I am/was. I get it, most VIP stuff is a ripoff and paying to meet celebrities isn't everybody's cup of tea. However, last time I checked, it's my business what I spend my money on. A lot of the people who tell me this are friends who do major vacations every year.

For some it's reasonable to spend $2500+ on a cruise. I'd rather purchase a Les Paul and do a few concerts for the same money. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by James Bond
  • Like 1

Going to rock concerts is very different from when I used to regularly go which was up until about mid-'00s, a lot more expensive, a lot more corporate and catered to nostalgia lovers. Ticket buying seems a more complicated practice, like a mad sweaty heart attack inducing scramble. I'm old enough to remember travelling to the box office and buying in person, or booking over the phone and picking up the ticket from the box office on the day. Now, you do not even need a ticket, printing the thing off on a scrap of paper or showing your mobile phone at the gate!!

I remember when an arena rock band cost about £16. Metallica 1996 cost me around £16. Now you would pay £70 for the same experience. That is a rapid price increase in quite a short span of time.

These days, I probably go to a rock concert about once per three years by the way. Neil Young is about the only person who gets me out of the door now. I tend to spend all my money on sport tickets.

Going to rock concerts is very different from when I used to regularly go which was up until about mid-'00s, a lot more expensive, a lot more corporate and catered to nostalgia lovers. Ticket buying seems a more complicated practice, like a mad sweaty heart attack inducing scramble. I'm old enough to remember travelling to the box office and buying in person, or booking over the phone and picking up the ticket from the box office on the day. Now, you do not even need a ticket, printing the thing off on a scrap of paper or showing your mobile phone at the gate!!

I remember when an arena rock band cost about £16. Metallica 1996 cost me around £16. Now you would pay £70 for the same experience. That is a rapid price increase in quite a short span of time.

These days, I probably go to a rock concert about once per three years by the way. Neil Young is about the only person who gets me out of the door now. I tend to spend all my money on sport tickets.

Yep. Concerts have increased to ridiculous heights in the last decade or so, there's no question about that.

• Like 1

Yep. Concerts have increased to ridiculous heights in the last decade or so, there's no question about that.

you can't really blame the artists since album sales isn't where the money is anymore. for people whining about the prices- try to get maroon5 tix and look at their prices. i think if the prices are too high then they will adjust if no one buys the tickets.

• Like 1

Nope. Considering the top tier $2500 which is absolutely ridiculous, you would think you'd get to meet the band. $900 was what it cost for the top tier KISS one in 2009 when I did it. They've since gone up, but nevertheless, once it gets in the thousands it's ridiculous no matter who it is.

For me, I did the KISS one as a "once in a lifetime" thing. It was a lot of fun. I don't do vacations, I mean, sitting on the beach for a week somewhere isn't my cup of tea, so for a treat that year I figured what the hell. I'd rather spend my money on an experience like that then a vacation. I don't get why some people are so offended when I tell them I did it. Over the years a lot of people tell me how stupid I am/was. I get it, most VIP stuff is a ripoff and paying to meet celebrities isn't everybody's cup of tea. However, last time I checked, it's my business what I spend my money on. A lot of the people who tell me this are friends who do major vacations every year.

For some it's reasonable to spend $2500+ on a cruise. I'd rather purchase a Les Paul and do a few concerts for the same money. Different strokes for different folks.

True and it depends on each person. I guess the KISS thing had the Meet N Greet, when a person is spending so much money, I do expect a Meet N Greet.

The only upside I see to the VIP packages are the early entry. Yes, it fucks over the fans with regular GA tickets who wait in line all day, but it is what it is :shrugs:

Yes. It is overpriced and a slap into the face of all the people who supported the various GNR members over the years, no matter in what dump they played. But getting that out of the way, Las Vegas shows are usually the most expensive on a tour. So I'm not quite sure if those are the tour prices, but really to fill stadiums, they should have lots of cheaper tickets. And really fuck those fucking madly expensive "VIP" packages.

I do not honestly remember any of this 'VIP culture' when I used to regularly go to shows in the 1990s - early naughties. It seems to have cropped up in the last ten years. VIPs were traditionally friends/family of the artists, competition winners or fan club members (as in the case of Metallica).

Yes. Any "VIP" who has to pay for it, is not a VIP. You are simply not a VIP if you have to pay for it. Just a douchebag with too much money and/or no sense for the worth of things. If you pay money for these packages you're either rich or love being fucked in the ass.

You're a moron.

The only way that I, and probably many other people that bought those, could justify the price was knowing this is a 'once in a lifetime' type of thing. I'll gladly take a while to pay off this trip, because I'm sure the memories will last longer than the debt. You are the douchebag, sir, and you sound pretty bitter that you haven't got a ticket :lol:

I actually agree with Patrick. The whole notion of paid meet and greets is cringe worthy in the extreme, musicians acting as prostitutes - pay me enough money and I will bestow you with three minutes of my almighty presence; I might even sign some laminated exclusive piece of crap for you. Yack. Of course if you are just buying VIPs solely to get better seats, fair enough, if you have the cash.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

I actually agree with Patrick. The whole notion of paid meet and greets is cringe worthy in the extreme, musicians acting as prostitutes - pay me enough money and I will bestow you with three minutes of my almighty presence; I might even sign some laminated exclusive piece of crap for you. Yack. Of course if you are just buying VIPs solely to get better seats, fair enough, if you have the cash.

While I can see your point with the "musicians as prostitutes" thing, I feel like it's certainly extra incentive if you can meet the band too. It was quite the experience when I did it. Backstage access with KISS in full costume standing with you the entire time the opening band is playing signing shit and taking pictures. KISS has since added soundcheck access and a full acoustic set where they take requests. That's all part of the "meet and greet" and it starts hours before the show. Like I said, they do it right. They try to give the fans the ultimate concert experience.

The ones that I don't agree with are like Ace Frehley (solo) does. $300 and he sits behind a table, barely utters a word, quick signing and photo and off to the next person in line. Zero inclusion. I'm happy to say I met him for free, and he was an asshole. People who have paid the $300 have said about the same. With KISS, it was like actually hanging out with the band.

While I can see your point with the "musicians as prostitutes" thing, I feel like it's certainly extra incentive if you can meet the band too. It was quite the experience when I did it. Backstage access with KISS in full costume standing with you the entire time the opening band is playing signing shit and taking pictures. KISS has since added soundcheck access and a full acoustic set where they take requests. That's all part of the "meet and greet" and it starts hours before the show. Like I said, they do it right. They try to give the fans the ultimate concert experience.

The ones that I don't agree with are like Ace Frehley (solo) does. $300 and he sits behind a table, barely utters a word, quick signing and photo and off to the next person in line. Zero inclusion. I'm happy to say I met him for free, and he was an asshole. People who have paid the $300 have said about the same. With KISS, it was like actually hanging out with the band.

I watched phone footage of one of them Kiss Cruises on youtube, Simmons with a bunch of fans - someone posted it on metal sludge. Jesus, those fans!! I do not mean to insult anyone but they were the sweepings of trailer trash America.

You're a moron.

The only way that I, and probably many other people that bought those, could justify the price was knowing this is a 'once in a lifetime' type of thing. I'll gladly take a while to pay off this trip, because I'm sure the memories will last longer than the debt. You are the douchebag, sir, and you sound pretty bitter that you haven't got a ticket :lol:

No worries. I do have my ticket. I just do not let myself be fucked in the ass. And I kept my dignity by knowing I would never pay for fucking VIP or overpriced Meet and Greets.

Yes. For the price Kiss charge they give you something. But really, they should give it away for free to their Fan Club members.

The only other time I've bought VIP tickets were for Axl's last shows in Vegas, and I got the spot I wanted in the front row because I had the early entry. Is it overpriced as hell? Yup. But I still think the show itself is gonna be worth it.

I do agree with you about paying even more to meet the band and do 'stage tours' and stuff, though. But I think all you get in this package is early entry, a poster (which I'd probably buy anyway), and "merch" (a t-shirt, maybe? I'd probably buy one of those anyway, too.) I just want the early entry, though.

I can't disagree with Patrick on his last point - I do think the "Metallica method" of giving it for free to fan club members is the absolute best option. Still, my KISS experience was great.

I watched phone footage of one of them Kiss Cruises on youtube, Simmons with a bunch of fans - someone posted it on metal sludge. Jesus, those fans!! I do not mean to insult anyone but they were the sweepings of trailer trash America.

Yeah, you're not wrong. I draw the line on the KISS cruises. :lol:

All VIPs still available, does that warrant this comeback a commercial failure already? ;-D

I found some VIP tickets available, the price is through the roof though. Obviously no meet and greet this time, did they have all this back in the early 1990s or is this a more recent thing?

the VIP culture is only recent in the last couple of years, basically it is the artists way of preventing scalpers from making alot of money on the good seats by selling them at a high price themselves, and throwing in some cheap crap to make it seem worthwhile(meet and greet, posters, pre-show party)

• Like 1

I'm guessing we'll have an accruate idea of whether or not the tour is overpriced after this weekend.

If both Vegas shows sell out within minutes on Saturday, then it would appear they priced those shows just right. If there's still tickets available on Sunday, they may need to re-think their strategy with respect to pricing.

I can't disagree with Patrick on his last point - I do think the "Metallica method" of giving it for free to fan club members is the absolute best option. Still, my KISS experience was great.

Yeah, you're not wrong. I draw the line on the KISS cruises. :lol:

I also think giving VIP access to fan club members is the nicest thing to do. Your Kiss experience does sound like fun, though. It's all about what the band are willing to do for their fans. I heard of these fans of another band who were doing a reunion. They had a contest in which some fans would get to meet the band. Poor people waited for hours for them to show. Then they were rushed through like cattle. Pose with the band. Picture. Get handed a pre-signed photograph. Next. No chatting. Hardly a real smile. It was about 30 seconds each. Not what the fans had expected at all.

One thing that struck me about the GN'R VIP package is that the way that it is phrased, the signed item might not even include an autograph from Axl/Slash/Duff. If I were paying out $2500, I'd bloody well expect all band members to take a few seconds and sign it. Which may sound entitled, and people might talk at me about not being owed anything, but for that kind of money? Come on...

Speaking of VIP stuff, the meet and greet and anything else has to be a fucking drag for the band. I mean, it's not that they don't like the fans, but it's an hour or two of their time when they should be relaxing and preparing for shows. It's all a cash grab, and that is fine if both parties are interested in it. I know if I was in GNR or another HUGE band, I wouldn't mess with it. You can bet your ass you'll never see GNR do it with Axl.

You can't pull up any pairs or more for the citi presale anymore

Just saying

The scalpers finished buying them up. They are all up on stub hub. Seriously, go check stub hub. The amount of tickets up there already is insane. There are literally thousands for each show. And that is just from the presale...

http://www.stubhub.com/guns-n-roses-tickets-guns-n-roses-las-vegas-t-mobile-arena-4-8-2016/event/9506409/

http://www.stubhub.com/guns-n-roses-tickets-guns-n--roses-las-vegas-t-mobile-arena-4-9-2016/event/9506411/

Edited by Tom-Ass