Line Up? and Old/New GnR Songs

Yeah, because the shows in 1992 & 1993 sure sold horribly.  You know, back when he was actually musically relevant. :rolleyes:

Some of you just can't seem to get it into your thick heads that if Izzy isn't involved in a full time capacity, it's because Izzy doesn't want to.  End of story.

As a GN'R fun since 1990 i totally respect whatever Izzy wants to do, but if the others totally ignore Steven, i'm outta words.. i mean the poor guy is still a mess but he has been a mess most of his life, but one thing is for sure, that guy really loves to play drums and smile.. :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Warhead78 said:

As a GN'R fun since 1990 i totally respect whatever Izzy wants to do, but if the others totally ignore Steven, i'm outta words.. i mean the poor guy is still a mess but he has been a mess most of his life, but one thing is for sure, that guy really loves to play drums and smile.. :D

Agreed. Izzy may not want to be a full time part of this but Steven sure does and he is a far better choice than Frank.. I understand he is a risk but he really seems to have his shit together. I also understand that it is 25 years later and 3 original members may be as good as we are going to get but the people filling their shoes just don't cut it.

37 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

One of the arguments from the anti-Adler lobbyists here was that ''nobody cares about Izzy and Steven'' and/or ''nobody even knows who they are'' yet there has been a plethora of people citing their absence - case in part Alice Cooper and this very article.

Obviously people (including almost everyone on this forum) would prefer the AFD 5 to anything else, but if UYI 2.0 is the best we can get then so be it. I still think Izzy will guest at quite a few shows and Adler will get at least a couple.

They sold out all 3 of their own shows in an hour or less, and the second Mexico City show will probably sell fast too. So I would say most casual fans are fine with just Axl/Slash/Duff ;)

Yeah, right. It's so dead in the water, the tickets taking alnmost 30 minutes to sell. My dear that's a real disaster!

So many care about Izzy and Steven that probably Axl, Slash and Duff just won't be able to sell their GNR shows.

That's such bullsshit. Those who care may be very active on social media which in reality doesn't make them any more numerous then they are - a few frustrated forever malcontents.

Well this "dead in the water" reunion has already booked out 2 Vegas shows, on its way to 2 Mexico City shows, and stadiums booked around the US, on top of Coachella and rumored Euro festival headlining slots. So..... dead in the water, eh?

I see you stand there, you think you're so cool, why don't you just...

I haven't read anywhere that they are not in officially. So until I hear that I am assuming that they will be in some fashion. Maybe play their own songs, maybe certain shows but no one has said yet that they are not in so I am not worried about it. They sure are creating free publicity and buzz with everyone talking about who may be in or not. 

Remember when you would tell people a few years ago that you were going to see Guns N' Roses and they'd reply with "No you aren't, it's Axl and some hired hands" ? Well,that has cooled down somewhat since Slash and Duff are back. You'll always have those AFD 5 or nothing fans and those who'll accept the UYI lineup. I think the true test will be how things go once the initial excitement wears off. Can they carry it on beyond AFD 30 next year? Surely for those shows (if they happen) you'd need the AFD 5. 

This place can really be delusional

You don't think Richard and Frank will cut it? What the hell, they are both absolute pro musicians. As I said, I want Izzy and Steven there as guests/ for Appetite songs. That'd be cool as h3ll, but what about UYI and ChiDem (whether or not you want it played is irrelevant, it's probably happening)? You think Steven is going to be better on the majority of the setlist or new material? Really? They weren't there for most of the UYI cycle and no one was bitching that it wasn't "real". 

Im not bashing either of them, I want them there. But this isn't an Appetite 5 reunion,. That could definitely happen in a small capacity, but Izzy and Steven are 100% not coming back full time. If you can't deal with it don't go

• Like 1

Honestly, I'd be happy to see Adler there, but it's hardly a deal breaker if he's absent. I rather have just about anybody other than Frank behind the kit, but again, also not a deal breaker.

Shitman appears to be out and Izzy should at the very least be at the shows announced so far, so I'm happy we at least have the core four for the time being. He's more likely to be apart of any material they create now, and that makes me more than content. Again, I just hope this "reunion" isn't just Axl being a dictator about everything. That sours all the enjoyment out of it for me. It's hard to tell at this point if they're operating under the partnership from before Axl took the ball and went home, or if Slash and Duff are just whipping boys for Axl's nu guns show. If it's the latter instead of the former, Fuck. This.

The line is very murky as to if this is Axl's gig or compromise galore. I'm still willing to wait and see, but iffy at best about the writing on the wall so far...

Edited by Bobbo

27 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

This place can really be delusional

You don't think Richard and Frank will cut it? What the hell, they are both absolute pro musicians. As I said, I want Izzy and Steven there as guests/ for Appetite songs. That'd be cool as h3ll, but what about UYI and ChiDem (whether or not you want it played is irrelevant, it's probably happening)? You think Steven is going to be better on the majority of the setlist or new material? Really? They weren't there for most of the UYI cycle and no one was bitching that it wasn't "real". 

Im not bashing either of them, I want them there. But this isn't an Appetite 5 reunion,. That could definitely happen in a small capacity, but Izzy and Steven are 100% not coming back full time. If you can't deal with it don't go

Whether Steven or Izzy come back or not and whether Frank and Fortus are pro musicians are not. A lot of people do not like the way Fortus and more so Frank play the songs. Simple as that.

And yeah, IF Steven was there, I do believe he would be better on the majority of the setlist. Appetite Lies and UYI's. Why can't he play the Illusion songs? A good portion of those songs that they would play were written when he was in the band and is Matt suddenly Bono? If they do play a couple CD songs and he did screw them up the majority probably wouldn't care or even notice because they don't know the songs or don't like them anyway. Maybe have Frank guest for those two songs ;)

I would like to hear Steven's take on the UYI songs actually, even CD tbh. I want to hear what those songs sound like in his style, and with Duff in that rhythm section.

I've never heard the early Steven UYI versions, but I'm curious to hear the raw loose sound that people report.

8 hours ago, CardinalGunner said:

Frank is an excellent drummer and he's played all the material perfectly fine. 

I'm sure he really is a great drummer. To say he plays the songs fine is subjective though. I have heard plenty of people comment on how he changes the feel and vibe of songs.. I actually think it sticks out like a sore thumb on some songs.. I hated how this last incarnation of NuGuns played a lot of the songs.  There certainly is a noticeable difference. Even the band members said that they would add their owns twists to the songs. I never really noticed it too much with any other drummer including Brain. Hopefully with Slash and Duff back in the mix they get back to the true spirit of the songs.

10 hours ago, Babooshka said:
14 hours ago, CardinalGunner said:

Frank is an excellent drummer and he's played all the material perfectly fine. 

U serious? Check this: 

And then find a video of NuGNR performing Mr. Brownstone, Frank's drumming is total shite.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

U serious? Check this: 

And then find a video of NuGNR performing Mr. Brownstone, Frank's drumming is total shite.

The "Frank is in/Matt is out" narrative has somehow morphed in some places to "Frank is a better drummer than Matt."

That's a (Paul) Huuuuuuuuuuge stretch!