Anyone else find a reunion without new material to be utterly boring?

I wonder if Slash and Duff will hop on to the 'this year is a big year for GNR' or 'soon is the word' bandwagon in interviews over the next decade.

TB will teach them the ways. I bet they are having a meeting with a PowerPoint about what not to say and how to say it with less words. Haha

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity,what is the definition of new music?

What if they pull a VH and out out Bring it on home, just redone. Does that count?

From what Towlie was saying earlier, yeah I think a situation like A Different Kind Of Truth would count.

I think that'd be cool, and yes, of course it would count.

• Like 1

I think we have better chances of getting new music with this lineup but one thing's for sure : Slash won't stick around indefinitely if new music isn't getting done and GnR won't survive a second departure from either Slash or Duff.

I know this sounds a bit crazy but I actually think it would (after a fashion).

I absolutely could see Axl replacing Slash and/or Duff if he wanted to after whatever contractual tour agreements were done and they returned to their solo stuff. Of course after all the money made from this reunion he may intend never to tour again but I don't honestly think he is beyond continuing with another further line up. The likelihood that Fortus, Ferrer and Pitman have been retained makes this more likely. Not saying he will but I think he would.

at what point does it become disingenuous for Axl to call himself an "artist" when he's released 14 tracks in the last 23 years??

How many paintings has Leonardo De Vinci put out lately? How about Picasso? Last I checked they're still artists! When threads like these pop up you know its a slow day at the forum.

And to put your fears at ease, they're recording new music. Money in the bank bro.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB

I think we have better chances of getting new music with this lineup but one thing's for sure : Slash won't stick around indefinitely if new music isn't getting done and GnR won't survive a second departure from either Slash or Duff.

I know this sounds a bit crazy but I actually think it would (after a fashion).

I absolutely could see Axl replacing Slash and/or Duff if he wanted to after whatever contractual tour agreements were done and they returned to their solo stuff. Of course after all the money made from this reunion he may intend never to tour again but I don't honestly think he is beyond continuing with another further line up. The likelihood that Fortus, Ferrer and Pitman have been retained makes this more likely. Not saying he will but I think he would.

I think this is the last effort for Axl. He will tour with the old guys and either work on new music if they all actually become decent friends and want to, or he will ride this train for 2-3 years then hang it up.

I don't find it boring at all.. It is the first f'n tour.. Axl may have been playing these songs but he wasn't playing them with Slash. I haven't seen them play together since 93.. I could care less was NuGnR was playing.

Axl is a shell of what he was in 1993. With that in mind, I think he can still do some good things in a studio environment where he can do different vocal takes and use computer technology to help as well. I am very glad they aren't at war with each other, but I don't think they are worth paying a ton of money to see in a live environment at this point.

Im having a hard time believing that the record company won't be gunning for a release to accompany a tour. Question is, what will it include...GH part 2 plus maybe 2-3 new tunes or CD2 with Slash and Duff's additions?

Big point. I'm sure the record company threw pressure at Axl to get Slash back and put up some roadblocks for the NuGnR to get material out (although maybe not substantial ones). Now that he's back, they'll be doing everything in their power to get something out and will be more supportive than ever.

We know for certain we're not getting new material?

Wanna bet?

Sure. Why not?

Please note that I have absolutely no reason to believe we are getting new material, but I'm also not ready to just say the sky is falling because nothing has been announced yet.

Instead. Start a "MyGNR kickstarter" or something like it. Let the project be to inspire the guys to release something. If they do we all donate to charity. Everybody wins!

Ahh, fuggetaboutit, I'm stoned and tired, goodnight.

Really good post Towelie.This is my point of view:

I'm 19, I have never seen GNR play.I would feel blessed if I could see NuGNR in 2012 where I had the chance but -fuck you economical crisis.That's all i could get,Axl and a bunch of hired hands but I would still be thrilled to see Axl. Now, I've been saving money from the day Slash told that he and Axl are friends again.May a dream come true.With all the "cancer" and "not in this lifetime" statements from Axl I totally gave up my hopes to see my idols on stage live.You may have experienced the old line up back in the day, but I haven't-and believe me there are lots of people like me.So if a Big 3 reunion is what I can get-without new music-, I'm totally IN. I would love to listen to new material and I really believe there will be..Slash and Duff know Axl better than anyone as in musical terms and they are both inspiring him.So,fingers crossed :)

• Like 1

We know for certain we're not getting new material?

Wanna bet?

Sure. Why not?

Please note that I have absolutely no reason to believe we are getting new material, but I'm also not ready to just say the sky is falling because nothing has been announced yet.

So you would wager actual money on us getting new GNR songs in 2016?

That's a hell of a risky bet there, Russ.

Yeah yeah, I know. I'm not even being overly confident or anything, I'm just being optimistic is all.

I'd do an actual money bet, but something low like under $50 just for the hell of it. So basically, if we don't get at least 1 new studio cut from GN'R by December 31, 2016, I'd PayPal you the money and vice versa.

I'll take that action, all day long, in fact make it 300 quid, go on, i bet you we get 0 new music out of GnR, we on? Thats new music out of this reunioned GnR, 300.
300 is 1 nosebleed seat to see the regrouping of GNR. Nobody is going to take that action.

Im having a hard time believing that the record company won't be gunning for a release to accompany a tour. Question is, what will it include...GH part 2 plus maybe 2-3 new tunes or CD2 with Slash and Duff's additions?

The other option is brand new material. That's why the line up is so interesting. If the AFD line up show up maybe Izzy is back and writing with Duff and Slash. They are using the original logo. That could be the cover of a self titled record.

at what point does it become disingenuous for Axl to call himself an "artist" when he's released 14 tracks in the last 23 years??

How many paintings has Leonardo De Vinci put out lately? How about Picasso? Last I checked they're still artists! When threads like these pop up you know its a slow day at the forum.

And to put your fears at ease, they're recording new music. Money in the bank bro.

That's a ridiculous point.

They are both dead for starters. I mean, I know Axl may as well be, as he certainly is creatively, but still. So if I wrote a few songs 14 years ago, would I be able to call myself an artist?

That's a ridiculous point.

They are both dead for starters. I mean, I know Axl may as well be, as he certainly is creatively, but still. So if I wrote a few songs 14 years ago, would I be able to call myself an artist?

If you still lived off the money you earned from that and had no other income/job, then yes. Maybe not an active artist in the sense that you still create and publish art (although I think most artists never stop creating art at some level) perhaps rather a retired publishing artist, but yeah, that is the profession I think it would be right to assign you.

I think to start with even if they've got new material in the pipeline play the AFD,Lies,UYI stuff and maybe rework a CD song or 2 for kicks (maybe do slither as well to balance it out). The once all the festivals and the bigger one off shows are over put out new music the back end of 2016/start of 2017 prior to a traditional world tour. The crowds at the huge outdoor summer shows are going to be there for the hits, there will be a lot more casuals and people tagging along

I'd rather they got like 30 songs worked on them a bit rather than rushing to get a reunion single or album done because it makes "commercial" sense.

GNR's best songwriters were/are Izzy, Axl, Gilby and Duff. Will they bring back Izzy? maybe..Gilby? probably not, which is a shame.

Slash brings the riffs, but we don't need riffs in search of songs (solo work). Slash cannot be demanding like he was in 95' and instruct the others to play his songs the way he wants them to be played. He needs to be patient and allow the tunesmiths to work on the material and get it up to peak GNR level.

The problem is time and Axl. He needs to go back to 1986 and start writing lyrics like nightrain or out ta get me rapidly. He needs to find that fire asap..I don't know how he's going to do it, but I hope he does.

Edited by sonofnazareth