Who's going to be the 3rd guitarist?

A third guitarist is just too nu gnr. Hopefully Slash wasn't willing to compromise on that.

I could very much believe this was one of the compromises. Either three guitars with Slash, Izzy, and Fortus, or if Izzy won't do it you JUST have Slash and Fortus. But not a second hired gun guitar wouldn't surprise me if that was a demand from Slash. Its completely unneeded. Even the first scenario I said with Izzy is dumb, cause you don't need more than him and Slash. Just as a compromise to Axl who seems to like 3 guitars, I could see it being said that only happens if Izzy returns.

Seriously, there was always a guitar player doing NOTHING when they had 3. I'm not against the idea, but its just so unneeded. Slash is loud enough that a rhythm player is all thats needed. And when and if Izzy shows up, you have a third guitar there, even though it essentially makes Fortus invisible. But yeah, I'm of the opinion there's no third guitarist. They won't hire someone new, I think the Kushner thing was a huge rumor made up from jokes, and two is really all thats needed.

• Like 2

Only have Slash & Richard so far. But GnR needs 3 guitar players live or else songs would sound very diluted in comparison to the post 2000 shows.

Or rather it would make the songs have more air and room to breathe

That is one issue I had when I saw GNR in 2011 and 2012. You couldn't tell who was playing what besides solos, it was this wall of guitar sound. With two guitarists there is more air, space, and room to hear the interplay between parts a lot better.

Michael Lee Firkins

Jason Becker (a well known guitarist sadly now paralyzed) gave an interview for Metal Sludge back in 2009(?) and said "Michael Lee Firkins told me he auditioned for GNR. Axl was sit-ting in the dark. He told Firkins that he used the whammy bar too much. HA HA! That made me lose a lot of respect for Axl. He obviously has no ear for brilliant and unique guitar playing. I think he blew it by not hiring Firkins.

FIRKINS.JPG

Edited by Subtle Signs

Michael Lee Firkins

Jason Becker (a well known guitarist sadly now paralyzed) gave an interview for Metal Sludge back in 2009(?) and said "Michael Lee Firkins told me he auditioned for GNR. Axl was sit-ting in the dark. He told Firkins that he used the whammy bar too much. HA HA! That made me lose a lot of respect for Axl. He obviously has no ear for brilliant and unique guitar playing. I think he blew it by not hiring Firkins.

FIRKINS.JPG

Based on that photo, Axl was right.

• Like 2

Unless it's Izzy, there's little point in adding anyone else to the mix. Richard will just get to do more. Rightly so. He and Slash will be a killer combo.

Considering it used to be Slash and a turned down Gilby at their biggest stadium shows, adding another salary to the bill seems unecessary. I always thought Axl had three guitarists so there was never a 'new Slash' who got to do all the lead work. Buckethead in particular was wasted for large chunks of the 2002 shows.

• Like 2

Unless it's Izzy, there's little point in adding anyone else to the mix. Richard will just get to do more. Rightly so. He and Slash will be a killer combo.

Considering it used to be Slash and a turned down Gilby at their biggest stadium shows, adding another salary to the bill seems unecessary. I always thought Axl had three guitarists so there was never a 'new Slash' who got to do all the lead work. Buckethead in particular was wasted for large chunks of the 2002 shows.

Yeah, I always got the impression that the three-guitar set-up was as much to do with stopping any one guitarist from becoming a Slash-style icon who could become a rival to Axl as it was to do with the band's sound. Which came back to bite him, in a way – it led to people saying, "It takes three guitarists to replace Slash."