Tommy Stinson Explains His Departure From Guns N' Roses

Sad that thats how the longest serving member of the new band was treated. Obviously it makes sense, but he still put so much time into that, and he's basically kicked out cause of old members. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see Duff and I'm sure Tommy made a ton of money these past 15 years, but its just weird how that works out. Sounds so awkward that he obviously can't just say "I'm gone because Duff's back, what do you want me to say?!" even though thats probably the case.

• Like 1

I don't think those are fair assessments. He always said he'd happily step aside if Duff came back. Axl would have been loyal to any of the new guys if they'd kept Guns their priority. As soon as Tommy chose the Mats over Guns that loyalty was broken to Axl.

I don't think those are fair assessments. He always said he'd happily step aside if Duff came back. Axl would have been loyal to any of the new guys if they'd kept Guns their priority. As soon as Tommy chose the Mats over Guns that loyalty was broken to Axl.

I think this was his most honest interview ever

Loyalty?

for what? non stop touring with the same old, same old?

lol

• Like 1

Even though he hates GN'R I think Tommy did want to make more music with Axl. All the employees Axl hired are clearly frustrated. The world will never listen to their songs, some of which I believe could have been pretty good, honestly.

That might well be. But it's not Guns N' Roses, just a bunch of hired guns from all walks of music making music with Axl, so who cares?

It just sounds like he was dreading more GNR tours where the money wasn't worth it anymore, and wants to build something up close to home with friends. The guy's been doing this since he was 13 and he's been with GNR longer than Slash and Duff were, and longer than The Replacements. He's keeping in touch with them so it's not like he's completely out of the loop.

As far as The Replacements go, Tommy's worked with Paul on his solo albums. They're going to work together again, whether it's under the 'Mats or solo projects. It's been left open ended.

He lives comfortably thanks to touring with GNR so why would he have anything bad to say?

Edited by dalsh327

Anyone that feels bad for Axl is insane. The guys left the band either because of the reunion or nothing was happening and it was just time. When you're not really "in the band", it's hard to commit to centering your entire life around it. Some of the hired guns were artists who wanted to create, and nuGNR didn't seem like a healthy place for that.

By five tours does he mean individual tour dates?

Most likely, North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia, would be the 5 separate tours if he was only talking about Guns N Roses.

Yeah, what a normal band would consider legs of a tour. But since this band doesn't really have a purpose behind a tour or an album, you can just call each string of dates over a month or whatever, a tour.

How insightful, so much detail and new info

Thanks,, Tommy!Seriously, I get why he's being quiet. It just sucks we can never get a lot of info

What do you want him to say? Axls an asshole, I got duped into something that never came to fruition, blah blah blah..?

He seemed pretty clear to me. Things were going nowhere. He got sick of touring. He was clearly beyond ready to step aside for duff whenever duff was ready. Fair enough to me...

It's still not as bad as bumblefoot not explaining and saying "I'm done with GNR" to this day..

I don't think any of Axl's guys (except Pitoman, as it seems) were or are under any illusions that they were or are GUNS N ROSES and that they would ever be able to "replace" beloved former members like Slash and Duff who were responsible for the name being what it is.

I don't blame Tommy for his stint in Axl's GNR, I'd clean toilets for money if I needed it...not trying to compare being in New GNR to cleaning toilets-I mean he's a musician and needs a job like the rest of us.

• Like 1