Tommy Stinson Explains His Departure From Guns N' Roses

Sad that thats how the longest serving member of the new band was treated. Obviously it makes sense, but he still put so much time into that, and he's basically kicked out cause of old members. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see Duff and I'm sure Tommy made a ton of money these past 15 years, but its just weird how that works out. Sounds so awkward that he obviously can't just say "I'm gone because Duff's back, what do you want me to say?!" even though thats probably the case.

Treated? He said he was turning down tours.

How insightful, so much detail and new info

Thanks,, Tommy!Seriously, I get why he's being quiet. It just sucks we can never get a lot of info

What do you want him to say? Axls an asshole, I got duped into something that never came to fruition, blah blah blah..?

He seemed pretty clear to me. Things were going nowhere. He got sick of touring. He was clearly beyond ready to step aside for duff whenever duff was ready. Fair enough to me...

It's still not as bad as bumblefoot not explaining and saying "I'm done with GNR" to this day..

Ypu are right

Idk what i was expecting

It's interesting that he had to leave first before Duff was considered. Might just be a conspiracy.

5 tours? That's good.

I wonder if they do have a record ready.

It's bizarre that if Ron, Dj and Tommy hadn't left they would still be there about to do another 5 tours.

But this is better for the fans, this what people wanted right?

It's interesting that he had to leave first before Duff was considered. Might just be a conspiracy.

5 tours? That's good.

It's bizarre that if Ron, Dj and Tommy hadn't left they would still be there about to do another 5 tours.

Tommy makes it sound like Axl was backed into a corner, which I suppose he kind of was. Is it possible that tour dates were booked which needed to be honoured or incur penalties? I wonder how Axl actually feels in reality about this regrouping, history suggests he doesn't enjoy feeling forced of obliged to do things. Of course it could just be a perfect storm of events that worked out brilliantly and he is really stoked about it.

I'm hoping for the latter but the lack of press or comment to date hangs a question mark over it still.

The line up is pretty much set. It's Axl, Slash, Duff, Richard (full time) w/ Izzy part time including Vegas and Coachella shows, Dizzy Reed, and Frank Ferrer. Not sure what's going on with Pittman and Steven Adler will be decided upon next week if not already.

• Like 3

He wasn't forced, they could have easily found replacment musicians if he wanted

I suppose he could. How much of a time consuming process that would have been I don't know. There's no doubt a whole load of back story we aren't aware of here.

I think Axl knows that every time he replaces a band member it dilutes the credibility of his project as GNR, which most people don't accept as GNR anyway.

He could have got a bunch of Nick Sterlings or whoever to replace the last lot of departures but I think maybe even Axl knew enough was enough.

Who knows what he was thinking when he hired #demented?

Sad that thats how the longest serving member of the new band was treated. Obviously it makes sense, but he still put so much time into that, and he's basically kicked out cause of old members. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see Duff and I'm sure Tommy made a ton of money these past 15 years, but its just weird how that works out. Sounds so awkward that he obviously can't just say "I'm gone because Duff's back, what do you want me to say?!" even though thats probably the case.

Didn't he say that he left? and that he wasn't available when they approached him to do 5 different tours? I mean, at what point do you say enough is enough!? I think they waited for him as long as they could and his departure helped things along with the "regrouping". Also, he said a few months back that if he was asked to do any more work with Guns that he would have to think about it... I mean GnR was obviously not big on his priorities, and I know how long he was in the band and the role he played but he didn't view it as his band.

I think if he was pissed or treated badly he would say it.

5 tours? That's good.

Tommy makes it sound like Axl was backed into a corner, which I suppose he kind of was. Is it possible that tour dates were booked which needed to be honoured or incur penalties? I wonder how Axl actually feels in reality about this regrouping, history suggests he doesn't enjoy feeling forced of obliged to do things. Of course it could just be a perfect storm of events that worked out brilliantly and he is really stoked about it.

I'm hoping for the latter but the lack of press or comment to date hangs a question mark over it still.

I don't think Axl would have agreed to work with Slash just to avoid a lawsuit from a couple of promoters. If he was still holding on to grudges he would rather face bankruptcy than back down and cave to Slash and reunion pressure... that's my take on everything I've ever heard him say about Slash and reunions.

I also really doubt that GnR management are stupid enough to book a tour without having the necessary musicians to play the gigs. Even with Bumble, Dj and Tommy out he could have easily toured and found replacements... there's a lot of musicians who'd kill to get that job.

please, the guy got paid well and got to travel around the world

plus in the 15+ years he was a member it wasn't exactly a taxing job as far as work load

he got to live the life. last thing im gonna be sad about is him not getting a huge going away party.

The line up is pretty much set. It's Axl, Slash, Duff, Richard (full time) w/ Izzy part time including Vegas and Coachella shows, Dizzy Reed, and Frank Ferrer. Not sure what's going on with Pittman and Steven Adler will be decided upon next week if not already.

Izzy being involved is awesome

How do you know all this? And thanks!

5 tours? That's good.

It's strange they wanted him for 5 tours which is another world tour basically. But to me without Slash and Duff would anyone want to see that again?

The last we heard Axl and Fortus were talking new album. Fortus then started talking Slash material.

I can see why Ron and Dj left as they probably sick of touring others material. And they weren't allowed much creative input into the next album.

But potentially the writing was on the wall once Duff agreed to tour. Duff has said him and Axl talked reunion. At that point those guys must have been told. Otherwise why would people like Frank and Fortus still stay on.

The fact that Slash and Duff make a tour possible with no real pressure for new material is also good.

We can definitely see the industry interest in the "reunion" and the level of interest in Axl saying CD II is already recorded. Not one label guy came out to say anything about that.

So basically if Axl wants to put out another record or tour successfully he had to get Slash and Duff back in GNR.

This could all go back to just after CD being released. They got CD out and Azzof's plan was to then do a reunion tour. But Axl wanted to tour CD properly and see it out to the end. Axl wasn't ready to let go but once CD had achieve moderate success and acceptance he was then ready to consider his options.

But at this point it seems all a little last ditch. We can't tell if this is what they want or have been forced into it by business realities.

But it does feel like the right conclusion to the story. Creatively they can return to their roots for a record and touring becomes a celebration of GNR.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Tommy Stinson: I had to start turning down tours because I was unable to tour and I got into a position personally where my personal life was going to prevent me from doing, I don't know, it must have been about five tours that they called me to do and I just said I can't do them.

This may explain what he's talking about. He says in another new interview that he recently found himself a single parent. He is trying to schedule his touring this summer before his 8 year old daughter has to go back to school in the fall.

All-the-while he’s trying to work around his 8-year-old daughter’s school schedule. But Stinson says being a single-father hasn’t just changed his work schedule.

“It changes everything,” says Stinson. “It changes, you know, your focus. It changes your entire outlook on things. It makes what was once frivolous a lot more frivolous. It makes what was once important really important.”

Audio: http://wuwm.com/post/rocker-tommy-stinson-reflects-fatherhood-and-importance-intimacy#stream/0

• Like 2

Reading what he said, wasn't it the opposite? I thought he said he told Axl he couldn't do what he wanted, that left Axl with nearly no band, which helped the reunion come together? Maybe I misunderstood what he said

heartfelt reconciliation.

That's cute...So pure....

We're excited, but let's not shield our eyes from the business realities at play here...I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but, that's the industry...

Had no illusions of it being a heartfelt reconcilliation, Tommy just made it all the more obvious it wasn't. That isn't to be entirely cynical and a part of Axl and Slash may have realized "we're 50-something year old men, why in the hell are we holding twenty year grudges," but circumstance and dollar signs obviously comes into account. I was just saying that this bit from Tommy illuminates a bit of that circumstance. I was a little surprised he made it seem as if Axl had some realization he didn't have a band, then called up the old guys.

This sort of makes the reunion seem a lot more like Axl's nugnr fell apart more than some heartfelt reconciliation.

When you listen to Duff talk about the experience he had touring with Axl in place of Tommy a few years ago, it sounds like him and Axl did have and have since had a really heartfelt reconciliation. Seeing Slash advertise the Coachella announcement on his Instagram, and just the reality that this is happening, I think he and Axl have had some interesting talks and have reconnected.

Axl is just silent so we haven't heard him weigh in on Slash being back in GN'R. And Slash is, I think, sensitive to Axl's desire for privacy, so we haven't heard Slash say much about him and Axl reconnecting other than when he said it was "really cool" in the summer. I'm sure with time we'll learn more about Axl and Slash mending their relationship

These guys didn't talk to each other for 20 years. I'm not buying the "well NuGuns isn't working, I will call Slash up, and I'm going to do it only for this reason" narrative that is being tossed around in this thread

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 2

This sort of makes the reunion seem a lot more like Axl's nugnr fell apart more than some heartfelt reconciliation.

Reconciliation or not I think I really appreciate that Tommy, DJ and BBF got the fuck out of the way. Now I can see Axl and Slash together on the same stage again

• Like 2