Tommy Stinson Explains His Departure From Guns N' Roses

Tommy- he (like Chicken head and bubbles and Darren) was a zero until Axl came calling. Now he/they are all no ones again What did Tom think/want? JFC. Give Axl and Slash et al thanks for the money you made. Fuck.

Hahaha really? The original CD band was actually full of people with careers and reputations outside of GnR. Tommy - replacements, robin - NiN + more, BH was known in guitar circles and both him and brain had worked with Les claypool (primus) on a lot of stuff.

Then obviously Axl, Tobais and Dizzy were from the last lineup of Guns. It was just Pittman who was an oddity who came from nowhere.

However all the guys that replaced them while professional musicians didn't have much of a reputation - Fortus (touring for a bunch of random bands), Bumblefoot (wasn't he a lecturer or something?), Frank (not a clue), Ashba (Actually the best of the CD2 lineup as he had done the bits with Nikki Sixx and Motley but he turned out to be a major tool)

• Like 1

I don't really believe that Axl's band fell apart and left him with no options. That's a little too perfectly 'Axl'. Isn't that pretty much exactly his version of how and why nu-gnr started?

The Conspirators guy said they've known for quite a while. Is it possible Slash leveled with his guys while Axl left it unsaid and let his band figure out for themselves it was time to bail?

I think so because that way he gets off the hook for 'not in this lifetime'. Everybody abandoned him and he had to do it!

Edited by bigpoop
  • Like 1

By five tours does he mean individual tour dates?

I think he means 5 different tours. Not in the sense that there would have been 5 tours if he'd said yes to each one. More a case of trying to arrange the same tour at 5 different times, all of which he had to pass on so they tried to reschedule each time.

That first show will reveal a lot in terms of Axl and Slash's relationship. I think Axl will open up more with the mic in his hands again, but sounds like Tommy is in a good place in life. He's doesn't feel obligated to tour and is discovering what makes him happy again. I hope the best for him.

This sort of makes the reunion seem a lot more like Axl's nugnr fell apart more than some heartfelt reconciliation.

When you listen to Duff talk about the experience he had touring with Axl in place of Tommy a few years ago, it sounds like him and Axl did have and have since had a really heartfelt reconciliation. Seeing Slash advertise the Coachella announcement on his Instagram, and just the reality that this is happening, I think he and Axl have had some interesting talks and have reconnected.

Axl is just silent so we haven't heard him weigh in on Slash being back in GN'R. And Slash is, I think, sensitive to Axl's desire for privacy, so we haven't heard Slash say much about him and Axl reconnecting other than when he said it was "really cool" in the summer. I'm sure with time we'll learn more about Axl and Slash mending their relationship

These guys didn't talk to each other for 20 years. I'm not buying the "well NuGuns isn't working, I will call Slash up, and I'm going to do it only for this reason" narrative that is being tossed around in this thread

This. Is exactly how I see what's happened. But people will put this whole reconciliation to a negative twist.

• Like 1

The interesting thing is Tommy just went "no" to future tour plans, so Axl was planning to keep doing shows and residencies. He probably went "are we going to do new music" to someone in the GNR org and didn't get a straight answer. I give him some credit for the reunion happening.

Seems like a lot of people forget DJ's role on this

According to downzy, Axl still had plans to move forward with the next album with DJ (lol)

"Not in this lifetime" etc.

He denied a reunion on the RNRHOF (because he wasn't stupid enough to do a reunion on a fucking awards show and potentially kill any momentum) Izzy just doesn't give a fuck

By that time, most of us will accept that a reunion with Slash ain't gonna happen

Then you have the Slash live DVD with GNR songs in it with Axl sign to some legal documents and the Appettite For Democracy DVD with Slash sign some legal documents...

Then Tommy quits (aka choose his other former band over GNR), BBF quits (because he realised he will never got a songwriting credit), then Ashba quits (because he had SIXX AM for full time)

Duff done a whole tour leg with Axl was the first sign, showing to Axl that he can still do it, even CD songs.... then you have the Slash "a lot of tensions dissipate" thing...

Then, Todd Kerns from Slash's band said they knews this years ago...

From now on, it's all up to negotiations, but the key members for the bigger money are there: Axl, Slash, Duff... (remember: they still doesn't use the word: reunion just REGROUP... this helps Axl to save face and maintain some "stability"

Adler is not reliable, Izzy doesn't give a fuck for a full tour, Axl still doesn't like Matt, Gilby is just another hired hand so they might agreed on this hybrid line up thing and do it now

Go figure....

This was his only option for the final cash cow, and probably TB also realised that reunion or bust...

It's not that hard and it's not as misterious as people claim it to be

Edited by Strange Broue

The line up is pretty much set. It's Axl, Slash, Duff, Richard (full time) w/ Izzy part time including Vegas and Coachella shows, Dizzy Reed, and Frank Ferrer. Not sure what's going on with Pittman and Steven Adler will be decided upon next week if not already.

Izzy being involved is awesome

How do you know all this? And thanks!

I may be able to explain someday soon but for now it's confidential. I've got credibility. My statements were spot on regarding Las Vegas and I was dismissed in the confirmed dates "rumors" thread because I could not provide my source. I think the MOD deleted my original posts in that thread but I believe I still may be quoted in there on the first few pages. Izzy has confirmed for the first shows.

The line up is pretty much set. It's Axl, Slash, Duff, Richard (full time) w/ Izzy part time including Vegas and Coachella shows, Dizzy Reed, and Frank Ferrer. Not sure what's going on with Pittman and Steven Adler will be decided upon next week if not already.

I may be able to explain someday soon but for now it's confidential. I've got credibility. My statements were spot on regarding Las Vegas and I was dismissed in the confirmed dates "rumors" thread because I could not provide my source. I think the MOD deleted my original posts in that thread but I believe I still may be quoted in there on the first few pages. Izzy has confirmed for the first shows.

Will that be made official before the shows or will it be a surprise appearance?

You gotta wonder, if this thing is still being negotiated in anyway as to former members, we should be careful about putting pressure on this thing as to what we (personally) may want. It may cause it to blow up in our faces (ie being overly negative, egging on the press, who follow these boards to do more stories bagging on the reunion). What we need is some patience, these are relationships that are highly complicated and that's based just on conjecture, theory, rumors, and whatever has been reported in the press. Add the truth and whatever we don't know adds even another layer to the gigantic knot of conundrum we call Guns N' Roses. So let's all relax, we just got a couple months to wait.

You gotta wonder, if this thing is still being negotiated in anyway as to former members, we should be careful about putting pressure on this thing as to what we (personally) may want. It may cause it to blow up in our faces (ie being overly negative, egging on the press, who follow these boards to do more stories bagging on the reunion). What we need is some patience, these are relationships that are highly complicated and that's based just on conjecture, theory, rumors, and whatever has been reported in the press. Add the truth and whatever we don't know adds even another layer to the gigantic knot of conundrum we call Guns N' Roses. So let's all relax, we just got a couple months to wait.

It is. At least for Adler it is. I have no info on Pittman. I didnt ask and didnt want to be too fanboy inquisitive. We should all be happy these Vegas shows sold out as quickly as they did. There are second night option dates on several of the stadium venues in North America on hold right now. In a couple markets there are also Stadium/Arena combo options... Kind of like the first North American Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour. For example, if there is a lot of demand in a market and enough to sell out a stadium on night one, but not enough to fill it again but enough to sell 16-20k tickets on a second night, they may move to book an arena for the second night or the pre-stadium night based on availability.

Will that be made official before the shows or will it be a surprise appearance?

All I heard is that his "people" confirmed that he will be involved. Before this, I didn't realize Izzy had "people" or a full-time agent. I though he was a one-man show and negotiated his own deals or just verbally committed to showing up.

All I heard is that his "people" confirmed that he will be involved. Before this, I didn't realize Izzy had "people" or a full-time agent. I though he was a one-man show and negotiated his own deals or just verbally committed to showing up.

That's the Izzy Stradlin myth and romanticism doing its work.

Edited by Babooshka

I don't think those are fair assessments. He always said he'd happily step aside if Duff came back. Axl would have been loyal to any of the new guys if they'd kept Guns their priority. As soon as Tommy chose the Mats over Guns that loyalty was broken to Axl.

I think this was his most honest interview ever

Loyalty?

for what? non stop touring with the same old, same old?

lol

No no no! I meant the replies weren't fair. I totally agree with you!

Sad that thats how the longest serving member of the new band was treated. Obviously it makes sense, but he still put so much time into that, and he's basically kicked out cause of old members. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see Duff and I'm sure Tommy made a ton of money these past 15 years, but its just weird how that works out. Sounds so awkward that he obviously can't just say "I'm gone because Duff's back, what do you want me to say?!" even though thats probably the case.

I listened and got a completely different impression. Love Tommy and the Mats and all he does, but it sounds like he had different priorities. Maybe even a health thing. Sounds like Axl just did what fit.

Eddie Money is telling the truth

It's honestly not fun anymore to ruin surprises for everyone. I understand that it makes for interesting conversation but in reality spoiling it for everyone else just plain sucks. The original 5 will play together. It won't be a full tour for those guys but everyone will get a chance to shine. Really happy to be a Guns fan right now and so should all of you.

• Like 1

If what you guys are saying is true,I guess that's cool in that you might now know who will show up at what show. Maybe one show you get Steven another Izzy and another Matt. Kind of makes each show unique. In this Internet age it's impossible really to keep anything a surprise.

Sad that thats how the longest serving member of the new band was treated. Obviously it makes sense, but he still put so much time into that, and he's basically kicked out cause of old members. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see Duff and I'm sure Tommy made a ton of money these past 15 years, but its just weird how that works out. Sounds so awkward that he obviously can't just say "I'm gone because Duff's back, what do you want me to say?!" even though thats probably the case.

I listened and got a completely different impression. Love Tommy and the Mats and all he does, but it sounds like he had different priorities. Maybe even a health thing. Sounds like Axl just did what fit.

I seem to remember an interview with Tommy (form 2010 or so) saying that if Duff ever wanted to rejoin Guns that he'd be happy to step aside?

Edited by sturginho
  • Like 1