Are GNR now operating like Kiss?

I have to laugh at fans who think that the nostalgia tour is starting only now

Is any fans claiming that or are you laughing of no one? GN'R will always be a nostalgia act as long as they focus on the back catalogue and have an audience that primarily come to hear the old hits, and Gn'R live shows became increasingly focused on this in the last few years, but regrouping with members from 20 years ago and thus presumably discarding or putting on hold all the music that were more or less ready to be released, signals that they are now entirely embracing the nostalgia model.

i can't think of a band that has a song that fans go to see that is a new one. But new material is always wanted. It's a sign of respect. You still trying, you're human, I like you, now play the hits like a good little dog.

I

They were always a band of the people and this is their definitive statement.

A band of the people wouldn't stand for $300 to $400 dollar tickets (with fees) and $100 nosebleeds.. They are alienating a lot of people who would love to see them but just can't now.

This!

I think Guns would have scoffed at bands doing this back in the day, and while I don't think it's going to drastically affect sales people are going to be pissed.

We all know that these guys were offered a ton of cash but! wouldn't it have been cool if they said we'll do it for 50million, let's set the ticket prices at a reasonable price, we'll go out for a little longer and have a paired down show. I know it's fantasy land though to hope that anyone in business (and GnR is business, before we start that again) would refuse a bigger pay cheque just to give their audience a better deal, but it would have been a thank you to fans... instead of them putting each and every one of us over a barrel just for the chance to see them.

I think any band that charges over €100 (that figure really should max at €60/70) for a ticket are disgusting, it's excessive! and it cuts out real fans who don't have boat loads of cash at their disposal. Here's hoping they don't charge this much at each gig!

It's not just the band that's at fault though obviously but they can help dictate prices.

The reunion is obviously about money, but! let's hope they make some music, and stick around long enough, that the real long standing fans can all get to see it (if they want to go).

While I appreciate that concerts have gone up in price quite signifcantly (especially here in London, UK) there are a number of reasons for it.

Firstly there is no longer record label support which use to do things like fund the support bands and guarentee tours etc. as they used to view touring as promotion for records. After the industry all but collapsed 10 years ago that has gone, furthermore the bands themselves derive little to no income from recording output so they have to re-coup that from live shows.

Secondly the cost of touring is wayy higher than you think, go listen to the Alan Niven interview when he talks about the Stones and U2 and when they break even on their tours. The cost of insurance for Axl and a GnR reunion will be astronomical, theres so much that can go wrong - whereas if you book KISS you can be damned sure KISS are going to show up and play for 2-3 hours.Therefore to get a slush fund going to even think about a stadium tour (think of the late fees! I think at Hyde Park in London its something like £100,000 a minute!) they are going to have to maximise profits for these shows, the early shows will likely be very expensive to capitlise and fund the rest of the tour dates which will likely be a bit more reasonable.

£50-60 (Thats about 60 - 75 Euros) is the standard to account for the costs and the fiscal risk of touring that isn't backed or funded by anyone. And if you go look at theatre productions/musicals/stage shows in london and you'll find tickets at way more than that and they dont have to have two stages that get put up for a night or two and then all packed down and moved to the next venue!

Is any fans claiming that or are you laughing of no one? GN'R will always be a nostalgia act as long as they focus on the back catalogue and have an audience that primarily come to hear the old hits, and Gn'R live shows became increasingly focused on this in the last few years, but regrouping with members from 20 years ago and thus presumably discarding or putting on hold all the music that were more or less ready to be released, signals that they are now entirely embracing the nostalgia model.

I am hoping this tour they give us all the nostalgia and all their old songs, so that people like me who never got to see them live before gets to see that.... but I hope they go in the studio at the end of the tour and write a whole new CD of new songs, and then do another tour where the new songs are their bigger focus. I liked Appetite & the UYI records, I always wondered what their next record was gonna sound like, maybe in the near future we will finally get to know

i can't think of a band that has a song that fans go to see that is a new one. But new material is always wanted. It's a sign of respect. You still trying, you're human, I like you, now play the hits like a good little dog.

Yeah.... but look at Aerosmith, they had a few records with lots of hits in the 70s just like GNR, and crowds only wanted to hear those hits... but when Aerosmith put out Pump in 1989 or whenever, they vrought a whole new CD of all new hits to the table, and audiences LOVED their new hits, and then they made a few more CDS with even more hits, and now their shows are a mix of both old hits and new hits.... so it CAN be done.... it is POSSIBLE that GNR could actually pick up where they left off and start giving us new hits that we come to like as much as the AFD/UYI hits.

I'm hopeful.

I am hoping this tour they give us all the nostalgia and all their old songs, so that people like me who never got to see them live before gets to see that.... but I hope they go in the studio at the end of the tour and write a whole new CD of new songs, and then do another tour where the new songs are their bigger focus. I liked Appetite & the UYI records, I always wondered what their next record was gonna sound like, maybe in the near future we will finally get to know

I appreciate that and I hope you get what you wish for. BUT, a new record by these guys today will be no more like a new record from them back in the mid 90s than a show from them today would be anything like a show from them back in their prime. What made GN'R fantastic in the 80s were their hunger, the inter-band relationships, the novelty of the music, the overall music scene they operated in and distanced, the sociopolitical climate these songs were made in, the ferocity that came with the band not having broken through and having to prove themselves, the reckless abandon only young people tend to display, and, of course, the quality of the songs themselves. Most of this is gone now, or changed. Context matters. Personally, I think will only be a shadow of what once was. I hope it will still be good, I fear it will be a bit pathetic.

Yeah.... but look at Aerosmith, they had a few records with lots of hits in the 70s just like GNR, and crowds only wanted to hear those hits... but when Aerosmith put out Pump in 1989 or whenever, they vrought a whole new CD of all new hits to the table, and audiences LOVED their new hits, and then they made a few more CDS with even more hits, and now their shows are a mix of both old hits and new hits.... so it CAN be done.... it is POSSIBLE that GNR could actually pick up where they left off and start giving us new hits that we come to like as much as the AFD/UYI hits.

I'm hopeful.

That's true, I'm a Pump era fan. The advantage they had was they came back in 90s. So they were potentially having bigger hits with Love in an Elevator. Then there was the Armageddon hit song. But the 90s bands influenced by the 70s haven't done that. Guns would be the mostly likely. They could do a ballad or rocker...but it's not the 90s so no big hits. There doesn't even seem to be a way to register them. Like the biggest selling digital download of all time. Maybe an album like Black Ice selling 10 mil with a recognisable rock song like Rock n Roll Train. There's notgoing to be a string of albums and MTV video hits. Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

That's kind of what I mean. Gene assesses the market and aims to give people what they want.

Have GNR succumbed to this or are they back to give rock a kick in the ghoulies?

The commercial side is set and no mean feat in itself. But can they also deliver music and shows that live up to the legacy this is all built on? Or is it like Kiss, nostalgia and lifestyle accessories.

I think it makes sense that first the plan to make money is in place. Doesn't mean the intentions are untrue, but we won't really know until it happens.

In the case of Guns, it's a comeback of sorts. Not to what they once were, but they gotta introduce it first and make sure they'll make a lot of money. Present it to the world again. This... hybrid line up. Or hybrid hybrid.

Still plenty of time until Hipsterfest, and there was a Star Wars teaser. It's just good marketing really imo. But Guns was always a very commercial band. Maybe Slash will bring his mainstream appeal. When you think about it, it's quite a big reunion. I think there is interest, but Axl seems nervous. He pulled out of Jimmy Kimmel before it was too late.

I imagine Axl will want to explain why Slash is back, and perhaps he'll do it when the time is right which means late as shit, but it's too soon now. I'm just enjoying the overpriced ticket sales and retro merch right now until it's time to see if this is for real or they're just kidding.

But I think Axl still wants to make his final statement kinda or more, who knows? I don't believe he's a sellout so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt before viewing it like a Kiss type of band. Kiss nailed the commercial side, so if they become that only with a good album and epic shows I won't mind. Ticket prices are fucked though, but they're doing Vegas which just feels right. Ace loves Slash. He can come up and do Black Diamond with Pitman on vocals.

Edited by Rovim

Aerosmith put out a reunion album and it flopped.

Paul's said that Gene is a lot of talk when it comes to business.

I don't see GNR doing heavy touring any more or less than the past few years, they could even just play that arena once a month and do shows in other cities here and there throughout the year, it would still put them high on the "best selling tours of 2016".

This tour is definitely going to be at their own pace. If Slash is itching to do more shows, he'll do Conspirators shows, and doesn't feel obligated to do GNR songs, so in a way it's freeing him by doing GNR and solo gigs.

Do they really need to go on TV to announce a tour?

Let's see what happens when the four shows actually happen.

Only 10% over 25 seems low?

GNR fans could very well be Star Wars fans and saw Patsy Kensits nip in Lethal Weapon 2. I digress.

But maybe the Star Wars part might be merch relevant. I'll but an Axl Vader figure no problem.

The more people pay for tickets or VIP packages means the more people want it and the more successful and important it is.

Only 10% in Europe. I forgot to mention that :lol:
It seems like a point though, there seems like a lot older classic rock guys in the US. Whereas in Europe or UK people seem to have this youth culture attitude. Once you're over 30 it's all bollocks. You have a team, a local and copy of the Daily Mail.
  • Like 1

If you think there was any chance Axl would release another record, I'll have to laugh at you.

You seem to believe that Slash returning will somehow put on hold a record that has been on hold for "only" 8 years. While the opposite is much more likely. Slash inspires Axl in a way Ron B. F. Thal never did. Axl must be feeling great to have his partners back. The label will give these guys total support. The label wouldn't pay for another record featuring Robin and BH, they're not Axl employees anymore.

But sure, keep believing in CD2. In the complex masterpieces that ex-punk Tommy Stimson wrote with the passion he has for GN'R and its fanbase. Lol.

I was curious to hear more songs from Robin and Buckethead but to me, it'd been clear for a while Axl was done artistically, way before the reunion. Remember Appetite for Democracy? An Evening of Destruction? Didn't them give you a hint? :)

Guns have never been a 'band of the people' since the appetite tour - arguably never. There is nothing that one would want to relate to here. One was a nutter, the other four were junkies. None of them wrote lyrics which reflected the common man. The Illusion tour was Kiss personified.

All this talk about GNR being a 'band of the people' and 'tickets are too much' and blah blah blah. GNR's like KISS.

It's all ridiculous. These guys aren't just in it to play music for a bunch of wankers whining about ticket prices for dirt cheap. It costs a ton of money just to put on a tour. I'm sure these guys would like to make some money, too. It's their living.

If you were a lawyer, would you do trials for free or dirt cheap?

If you work at McDonalds, would you work for half minimum wage?

If you work as a construction worker, are you going to work for minimum wage?

If you were the best quarterback in the NFL, would you settle for third string QB money and not accept a huge payday because you want to be a 'Quarterback of the people'?

Listen to all of you... it's ridiculous. Not a single one of you would go to your job today, if you even have a real job, and accept a paycut. And if what you were doing was in high demand, you certainly would milk it for all it's worth.

Grow up, all of you. You all sound like a bunch of babies (with a few exceptions).

If you think there was any chance Axl would release another record, I'll have to laugh at you.

You seem to believe that Slash returning will somehow put on hold a record that has been on hold for "only" 8 years. While the opposite is much more likely.

Of course it was a possibilty that the last lineup could have released a new record. CD came out, after all. And that process wasn't exactly straight or quick, either. Most of the work on a new record is already done, so yeah.

I consider the possibilty of the last lineup being able to release a new record vastly larger than the possibility that Axl and Slash will ever release a new record, which I find remote at best. There is a lot of endearing naivity and lack of realism in some guys here when it comes to what will happen with Axl and Slash now, like they coming together again somehow turns the clock back to...well, a time when they agreed on GN'R and were eager to work together (1987 perhaps?). This is a cash grab and nothing else, and if the easy money spurs then into thinking they might cash in extra by releasing a new redcord, then the old dysfunction will come back in force and it will be another chapter in the tragicomic story that is GN'R.

I also find the idea that Slash being back in the band would somehow motivate Axl into releasing a record with material from a different lineup, somewhat bizarre. If it comes out, and it might, although I feel that probability is lower now than in 2014, then it has nothing to do with Slash but with Axl's persistent stubbornness and bewildering ways of doing things, often at odds with what is the sensible thing to do from any perspective other than Axl's.

I'm hopeful.

The Eagles came back after 28? years and released new music after their reunion tour and it was successful... 'Get over it' was one of those songs which is still a big fan favourite. It's all about the quality of the material, and how much the band is willing to work to get it over with their audience. I mean if Sweet child and jungle were new songs released next year they wouldn't get over if there wasn't a push from band, radio to make them hits or fan favourites.

Guns have never been a 'band of the people' since the appetite tour - arguably never. There is nothing that one would want to relate to here. One was a nutter, the other four were junkies. None of them wrote lyrics which reflected the common man. The Illusion tour was Kiss personified.

All this talk about GNR being a 'band of the people' and 'tickets are too much' and blah blah blah. GNR's like KISS.

It's all ridiculous. These guys aren't just in it to play music for a bunch of wankers whining about ticket prices for dirt cheap. It costs a ton of money just to put on a tour. I'm sure these guys would like to make some money, too. It's their living.

If you were the best quarterback in the NFL, would you settle for third string QB money and not accept a huge payday because you want to be a 'Quarterback of the people'?

Listen to all of you... it's ridiculous. Not a single one of you would go to your job today, if you even have a real job, and accept a paycut. And if what you were doing was in high demand, you certainly would milk it for all it's worth.

Grow up, all of you. You all sound like a bunch of babies (with a few exceptions).

Can being a successful, composing (yes, I know Axl, lazy bollocks), musician really be reduced to mere 'work' however, a 'job' for which you are 'paid'?? There is an element of romantic artistry involved. A lot of classical musicians composed compositions for free, simply listening to their muse and tapping into a divinely inspired imagination. Schubert barely made a penny. There were Schubert symphonies, the great masterpieces of their genre, the 9th, the 8th ''unfinished'', found lying in boxes after his death. He was not being commissioned for any of these pieces; none of these were ever heard during his lifetime: he simply wrote them because of art.

This is a cash grab and nothing else.

Exactly like the last few years. "Appetite for Democracy", "An Evening of Destruction", Vegas residencies and South America tours. :)

Axl claims there is a recorded album. I have no reason to believe in him. The only proof is a G chord, lol.

I just can't see CD2 happening. Axl would have to find yet two new guitar players and a bass player. I'm pretty sure he would want to insert their output in the new album. It's a completely fucked up scenario. NuGNR fell apart. CD2 would never work, artistically and commercially.

Now real GNR may have a second chance. They are older now, if Axl could change his mind about Slash, maybe he can change his mind about how music is supposed to be created and released. NuGNR stole 20+ years of his life, having Slash and Duff back must have had a great effect on his confidence. Maybe Izzy is indeed writing with Duff? Yeah, it looks completely impossible... and yet much more possible than a new album from Axl's band. Axl and Slash sharing stage again seemed impossible as well...

Edited by maynard

This is a cash grab and nothing else.

Exactly like the last few years. "Appetite for Democracy", "An Evening of Destruction", Vegas residencies and South America tours. :)

Axl claims there is a recorded album. I have no reason to believe in him. The only proof is a G chord, lol.

I just can't see CD2 happening. Axl would have to find yet two new guitar players and a bass player. I'm pretty sure he would want to insert their output in the new album. It's a completely fucked up scenario. NuGNR fell apart. CD2 would never work, artistically and commercially.

Now real GNR may have a second chance. They are older now, if Axl could change his mind about Slash, maybe he can change his mind about how music is supposed to be created and released. NuGNR stole 20+ years of his life, having Slash and Duff back must have had a great effect on his confidence. Maybe Izzy is indeed writing with Duff? Yeah, it looks completely impossible... and yet much more possible than a new album from Axl's band. Axl and Slash sharing stage again seemed impossible as well...

Every tour is a cash grab thing, as such. It's about selling art experiences for money. With the last lineup at least there was a potential that Axl would be interested in keeping "new Guns" alive with new music, although it became less and less apparent as the years went on. Still, it never died out completely, in fact the last he was recorded saying on that matter was a positive (about him now starting to look into it). So yeah, a larger probability of that happening than it happening after reverting to old members to cater to pure nostalgia, in my opinion.

I didn't say a new record was ready, I said a lot of it was done, or something to that effect. You might not believe Axl's words, fair enough, but you'd be weird to doubt a great deal of new music existed as expressively and implicitly stated by many different sources.

Yeah, I was surprised and wrong about Axl sharing a stage with Slash again so soon (but let's see what actually happens ;)), and I will probably be wrong about GN'R again in times ahead, as I have been many times in the past. That doesn't worry me much, I put it down to their unpredictability more than my stupidity :D And as such, I guess I hope I will have the chance to be surprised about what GN'R does in many many years to come, too, much rather than the band seizing to exist :D

No, Axl wouldn't have to find new players to release music, given that everything that was m issing was his vocals and that he had no intention of touring that new music.

No, Axl wouldn't have to find new players to release music, given that everything that was m issing was his vocals and that he had no intention of touring that new music.

Good post, SM.

I disagree with this part. Axl added Ferrer and BBF to CD. If he was to hire two new guitar players and a bass player, my guess is that he would want them on CD2. He wouldn't HAVE to, but I guess he would WANT to add the new guys to the new record.

We agree more than disagree on this. I just think new music ir more likely with Slash on board. :)

Good post, SM.

I disagree with this part. Axl added Ferrer and BBF to CD. If he was to hire two new guitar players and a bass player, my guess is that he would want them on CD2. He wouldn't HAVE to, but I guess he would WANT to add the new guys to the new record.

We agree more than disagree on this. I just think new music ir more likely with Slash on board. :)

I've got $50 riding on this from my ridiculous (on my part) bet with Towlie, so I'm hoping for new music as well.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that they should tour for free, or for a minimal amount. Not at all. I personally get very tired of those who suggest that those in creative industries shouldn't get paid fairly for their work. But the point remains that some of their peers in the music industry, bands that are of the same caliber who turn enormous profits from their tours and have very expensive stage shows, make other choices when it comes to setting ticket prices. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Sure, they can make the bottom ticket price $100 or $200 if they wish. They can set them at $1000. That's their prerogative. It will, however, alienate a lot of fans and make the tour inaccessible to many people who have supported Axl, Slash and Duff over the years, and that's really too bad. And one can understand that those who have wanted a reunion (or a partial one) for years, and now have what they want, might be upset about not being able to afford to actually see it.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

There is a big gap between $400 a ticket and Dirt cheap....

Have you guys seen new Muse stage show? Those balls are not attached to anything, they are drones and look at that massive construction and just look at that stage. That must be really expensive to ship and construct for every show. Why am I saying this? Because tickets for them are in range of 40-100$ (usually under 100) gnr can make profit with tickets half the price of what are they offering now. I'm sure

CVUSG-bVEAAT4qv.jpg

Have you guys seen new Muse stage show? Those balls are not attached to anything, they are drones and look at that massive construction and just look at that stage. That must be really expensive to ship and construct for every show. Why am I saying this? Because tickets for them are in range of 40-100$ (usually under 100) gnr can make profit with tickets half the price of what are they offering now. I'm sure

CVUSG-bVEAAT4qv.jpg

Or the last Motley Crue tour? I am sure their set up cost a lot and I paid $140 after charges for like 20 rows back on the floor...

Guns have never been a 'band of the people' since the appetite tour - arguably never...The Illusion tour was Kiss personified.

That's really not entirely true. One of the justifications that was publicly given for releasing the Illusions as two separate albums was that double albums were too expensive for a lot of kids to buy. The idea was that they could buy one of the Illusions if they couldn't afford both. When Live Like a Suicide was included on GnR Lies, one of the reasons given was that the original LLaS EP was selling for ridiculous amounts of money on the secondary market, and fans shouldn't pay that much to hear it. Was it entirely selfless? Was it MOSTLY selfless? No, but the point remains that they were actually cognizant at that point of what things cost to their fans.

And the tickets for the Illusions tour were completely reasonably priced.

I do think ticket prices will come down a fair bit if they tour all over, the Vegas shows are the uber special 'first' shows, they can never have that moment again and nor can the fans so I think they have been priced with that in mind. Seeing them down the line in six to eight months time whilst still great just won't be as momentous.