Are GNR now operating like Kiss?

If so, how do you feel about that?

In the AFD era GNR operated like Aerosmith or ACDC.

Then for UYI Axl seemed to follow the Jagger Stones stadium tour model.

For CD GNR worked like Zeppelin or NIN no videos, just touring.

Now Reunion GNR has full social media presence, hella Merch, $2,500 VIP packages, $350 dollar tickets and a tour that kicks off in Vegas.

To me it seems like the only way to do a GNR reunion. With something so big you can't be all coy about it. They were always a band of the people and this is their definitive statement.

They were always a band of the people and this is their definitive statement.

A band of the people wouldn't stand for $300 to $400 dollar tickets (with fees) and $100 nosebleeds.. They are alienating a lot of people who would love to see them but just can't now.

This. If they come anywhere driving distance from me I wouldn't be able to live with myself not going. But cheap seats are all I'm going to be able to do. Which sucks.

A band of the people wouldn't stand for $300 to $400 dollar tickets (with fees) and $100 nosebleeds.. They are alienating a lot of people who would love to see them but just can't now.

It's capitalism at it's best, not GNR's call. The time it took for tickets to sell out unfortunately suggest that there is nothing wrong with pricing - if anything, it probably could be higher. It's how the system works, how the industry works. As we say in Brazil, there is no free lunch.

It's capitalism at it's best, not GNR's call. The time it took for tickets to sell out unfortunately suggest that there is nothing wrong with pricing - if anything, it probably could be higher. It's how the system works, how the industry works. As we say in Brazil, there is no free lunch.

There may not be a free lunch, but not every lunch has to be at The Ritz either. A portion of the tickets could be reserved at higher prices and for VIP stuff, but you've also got to cater to the common folk

• Like 2

It's offer and demand, the most primary concept in economics...

Yeah we get the concept....

But life isn't all about money. Maybe the band would get satisfaction from knowing they're allowing genuine fans to see them. Otherwise you just end up playing to corporate lawyers who work at law firms that bought blocks of tickets. Crowds filled with genuine fans bring a better energy than crowds filled with people who maybe like a song or two when it comes on the radio. It's a balance

I do think though that future shows will be bigger and also more reasonably priced

Edited by GibsonLP
  • Like 3

09-14 GNR was the (modern day) KISS equivalent of GNR- lousy shows and phony band members dressing up as beloved favourites making a mockery of what made their respective names.

#demented is the Tommy Thayer of GNR, but Tommy is such a better guitarist that's almost too insulting.

• Like 1

09-14 GNR was the (modern day) KISS equivalent of GNR- lousy shows and phony band members dressing up as beloved favourites making a mockery of what made their respective names.

#demented is the Tommy Thayer of GNR, but Tommy is such a better guitarist that's almost too insulting.

I've always viewed Bumble as the Gn'R Bruce Kulick. Also, the talk reminds me of this diddy.

They aren't in full KISS mode yet. Gene and Paul sell everything and merchandise everything. From the KISS casket to lunch boxes and everything else. So in that sense, no.

But, like many bands, GNR is going with a few core members and bringing in hired hands to fill out the roster. At least now, there is 3 legit GNR members which is better than the past 15 years or more.

I

This!

I think Guns would have scoffed at bands doing this back in the day, and while I don't think it's going to drastically affect sales people are going to be pissed.

We all know that these guys were offered a ton of cash but! wouldn't it have been cool if they said we'll do it for 50million, let's set the ticket prices at a reasonable price, we'll go out for a little longer and have a paired down show. I know it's fantasy land though to hope that anyone in business (and GnR is business, before we start that again) would refuse a bigger pay cheque just to give their audience a better deal, but it would have been a thank you to fans... instead of them putting each and every one of us over a barrel just for the chance to see them.

I think any band that charges over €100 (that figure really should max at €60/70) for a ticket are disgusting, it's excessive! and it cuts out real fans who don't have boat loads of cash at their disposal. Here's hoping they don't charge this much at each gig!

It's not just the band that's at fault though obviously but they can help dictate prices.

The reunion is obviously about money, but! let's hope they make some music, and stick around long enough, that the real long standing fans can all get to see it (if they want to go).

• Like 2

But life isn't all about money. Maybe the band would get satisfaction from knowing they're allowing genuine fans to see them. Otherwise you just end up playing to corporate lawyers who work at law firms that bought blocks of tickets. Crowds filled with genuine fans bring a better energy than crowds filled with people who maybe like a song or two when it comes on the radio. It's a balance

I do think though that future shows will be bigger and also more reasonably priced

they are doing this strictly for money, they could give a fuck less who buys the tickets. the arena could be 3/4 empty but as long as those empty seats were payed for they are happy.

Edited by bran

Alright Dj was a bloody clown but at first those shows were quite good, and the band were always on form (not including Axl... who has obviously had his share of bad nights).

As for Thayer, he is a good player, but I just can't take to hm because he borrows too heavily from Ace (not even talking about the make up). He uses Aces - Vibrato, phrasing, signature licks all of which he (as well as Gene and Paul) passes of as his own... and I'm not talking about live versions of old songs, this is Sonic boom, and monster... Eric Singer is a great drummer and singer, no complaints there!

they are doing this strictly for money, they could give a fuck less who buys the tickets. the arena could be 3/4 empty but as long as those empty seats were payed for they are happy.

Ya know, I saw guns in Dublin in 2010 they had a mixed crowd of people there, real fans and fare weather... shit was thrown and the show was ruined. Saw them again in 2012 and those same fans decided against showing up, the venue was not sold out but! the show went off without a hitch, Axl was in great spirit and the crowd were far more enthusiastic and energetic. Do they care if real fans can't go!? I think they do, but I think they like money just as much unfortunately... would love to be proven wrong though!

Guns have never been a 'band of the people' since the appetite tour - arguably never. There is nothing that one would want to relate to here. One was a nutter, the other four were junkies. None of them wrote lyrics which reflected the common man. The Illusion tour was Kiss personified.

To be fair to the band though, touring is an expensive game these days. Transporting instruments and other equipment, band and crew, plus accommodation and venue hire, insurance and so on isn't cheap, and everyone wants their slice of the profits. Combined with the fact that bands don't make as much from recorded music these days all adds up to more expensive tickets.

To be fair to the band though, touring is an expensive game these days. Transporting instruments and other equipment, band and crew, plus accommodation and venue hire, insurance and so on isn't cheap, and everyone wants their slice of the profits. Combined with the fact that bands don't make as much from recorded music these days all adds up to more expensive tickets.

This is the Internet nobody cares about being real or fair. Its just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. Wasted is a fucking moron for comparing any incarnation of GNR to Kiss. And, if the mods feel that is too much the too bad. I mean really, Kiss? GNR have nothing in common with Kiss at all. Only an imagination with no imagination would make such a connection. I Mean if you aren't going to the Vegas shows then mind your own business. All the speculation is jerking off. And Wasted is the biggest masterbater on this forum.

• Like 1

I

This!

I think Guns would have scoffed at bands doing this back in the day, and while I don't think it's going to drastically affect sales people are going to be pissed.

We all know that these guys were offered a ton of cash but! wouldn't it have been cool if they said we'll do it for 50million, let's set the ticket prices at a reasonable price, we'll go out for a little longer and have a paired down show. I know it's fantasy land though to hope that anyone in business (and GnR is business, before we start that again) would refuse a bigger pay cheque just to give their audience a better deal, but it would have been a thank you to fans... instead of them putting each and every one of us over a barrel just for the chance to see them.

I think any band that charges over 100 (that figure really should max at 60/70) for a ticket are disgusting, it's excessive! and it cuts out real fans who don't have boat loads of cash at their disposal. Here's hoping they don't charge this much at each gig!

It's not just the band that's at fault though obviously but they can help dictate prices.

The reunion is obviously about money, but! let's hope they make some music, and stick around long enough, that the real long standing fans can all get to see it (if they want to go).

You are not looking at this correctly. The market sets the price that people are willing to pay for a ticket. If GNR doesn't charge market price (for example they charge $50 per ticket), then people would charge that much in the secondary market instead. You would rather see scalpers collecting on the value of a GNR concert ticket instead of GNR?

All bands at the end of the day are in it for the $$$$$ Kiss just don't try hide the fact and don't honestly care what folk think about them which i can respect.

Slash is going through a divorce and has kids, Duff has Kids and i do think Axl is preparing for retirement

I have no problem with the dollar bill yall. Just trying to get to grips with the new Slash n Duff era. Kiss isn't a bandI'm overly familiar with. I love Destroyer. I like the whole idea of Gene Simmons. I see some Ace/Criss paralells. All the merch and vip deals couldn't save us from ourselves.

Guns are now operating like any rock n' roll nostalgia act that is basically in it for the retirement fund. $2,500US for a VIP package that doesn't even include meeting Axl, Slash and Duff is criminal. Kiss offer this oppurtunity for LESS than $2,500. This is worse than Kiss.

Guns are now operating like any rock n' roll nostalgia act that is basically in it for the retirement fund. $2,500US for a VIP package that doesn't even include meeting Axl, Slash and Duff is criminal. Kiss offer this oppurtunity for LESS than $2,500. This is worse than Kiss.

Yeah but you don't need a VIP package to see the show, which is all any sane person should want to do anyway. Those packages are for suckers.

Edited by bigpoop