DJ Says He Left GN'R - He Didn't Want To Play Somebody Else's Songs

He says why he left, I've transcribed some of the interview below:

DJ Ashba Interview WMMR

January 22, 2016

You played with Guns N' Roses until recently.

Dj Ashba: I did, I did. Another one of my favorite bands growing up. Six years I think it was, something like that.

Have you heard all the talk about Coachella with Guns N' Roses?

DJ: As a fan myself I couldn't be more stoked for the fan base. They've waited a long time for this to happen. It's so good that it's happening. I couldn't be happier for the fans.

It was one of those thing they were told would never happen.

DJ: Laughs, yeah yeah.

I suppose had to be pretty draining doing Sixx: A.M., Guns N' Roses, having a family. Doing all those things at once is probably overwhelming.

DJ: It was, it was a lot of work. But I've got to be honest ya know. I had the time of my life, I am beyond grateful to share the stage and had so many memories and met so many great fans out there. It was just a great time in my life.

However, we did this latest Sixx: A.M. run and it really just kind of made me go, wait a second, there's a huge difference playing somebody else's songs and playing my own. You know what I mean, I just felt every note I hit. Wow this is where I need to be. It was that tour that made me realize I had to go back to what I'm really about. I'm really really stoked.

Edited by Funky.Monkey
  • Like 2

What took you so long to figure that you out? Oh yeah, exposure, I hope Axl realises this as cottons something on about GnR, something thats been glaringly obvious to those of us that weren't thalidomide babies. No matter I suppose, reunions on so perhaps he has got the idea.

All we ever got from the Asbha era was an instrumental bootleg of "Ballad of Death" - again, sad that these guys probably came in thinking they'd make new music together. And it just became what it was.

But yeah, this guy was probably the fan bases' least favorite member. PersonalIy, I couldn't stand his "LET ME HEAR YOU!!!!" posture thing with every guitar lead-in.

Edited by DizzyReed63

I kind of wish Ron and Dj had made the next GNR album. For whatever reason things didn't move forward in that way. The reunion is really the answer to why.

Yeah? And why not shop-teacher Bob and Kevin's dad Thomas from the local VFW make the next GNR album?

Ron and DJ have NOTHING to do with why GNR was popular. They're as justified in making the next GNR album as you or me.

• Like 2

I wish him well. Even though he was a bit of a tool, he was a good showman and did his job. His departure worked well for everyone.

The first two sixx am albums are like guilty pleasures for me (like Kiss), the last album sucked and I don't really care about following them anymore, still, best of luck

At some point he was working on classic sounding GNR material. I really want to hear that. I wonder if Axl or the label or satan decided to let Dj, Fortus and Ron record a GnR album what would that be like.

So it seems that Tommy and Dj both walked. Ron also for similar reasons.

So it starts to seem that Axl was left with no band and Slash and Duff are potentially just helping him out. Which then has grown into something almost like everyon's fantasy. But surely if Axl had recorded with Dj, Ron etc they would all be into it?

So it seems like Axl just wanted to keep the touring band for whenever or if he got CD II released. Fortus seemed to be involved in that.

But now what? Is this the same situation with Slash and Duff helping to tour CD II after the reunion cash grab. Or is this a brand new era?

Why shy away from reunion wording to then basically do a reunion?

I'm going to need more bourbon and get the old trenchcoat out. Columbo II: One Last Thing.

I kind of wish Ron and Dj had made the next GNR album. For whatever reason things didn't move forward in that way. The reunion is really the answer to why.

Yeah? And why not shop-teacher Bob and Kevin's dad Thomas from the local VFW make the next GNR album?

Ron and DJ have NOTHING to do with why GNR was popular. They're as justified in making the next GNR album as you or me.

You could say that about a lot of bands though. Brian Johnson has nothing to do with why ACDC are successful. Ron Wood has nothing to do with why The Stones are successful.

I guess though it's more about the crux of the band. You need Slash as the Keef to Axl's Jagger. Then if you have Fortus and Frank, maybe nobody would care as much.

I'm not fussed if Brian Jones or Bill Wyman are in the Stones. I still bought those albums and attended those shows.

I like Black and Blue and Voodoo Lounge, Back in Black, Thunderstruck, CD. So I can pretend to be a line up purist but really I don't seem to care that much. So I would have been interested in a Dj, Fortus and Ron GNR album. Not saying I'd like it. But I'm not against it on paper or morally.

But the best line up of GNR is the AFD line up. If they could have grown with the fans and put out multiple albums... But they didn't.

All's well that end's well.

• Like 2

I wish him well. Even though he was a bit of a tool, he was a good showman and did his job. His departure worked well for everyone.

The first two sixx am albums are like guilty pleasures for me (like Kiss), the last album sucked and I don't really care about following them anymore, still, best of luck

• Like 1