DJ Says He Left GN'R - He Didn't Want To Play Somebody Else's Songs

I kind of wish Ron and Dj had made the next GNR album. For whatever reason things didn't move forward in that way. The reunion is really the answer to why.

Yeah? And why not shop-teacher Bob and Kevin's dad Thomas from the local VFW make the next GNR album?

Ron and DJ have NOTHING to do with why GNR was popular. They're as justified in making the next GNR album as you or me.

You could say that about a lot of bands though. Brian Johnson has nothing to do with why ACDC are successful. Ron Wood has nothing to do with why The Stones are successful.

I guess though it's more about the crux of the band. You need Slash as the Keef to Axl's Jagger. Then if you have Fortus and Frank, maybe nobody would care as much.

I'm not fussed if Brian Jones or Bill Wyman are in the Stones. I still bought those albums and attended those shows.

I like Black and Blue and Voodoo Lounge, Back in Black, Thunderstruck, CD. So I can pretend to be a line up purist but really I don't seem to care that much. So I would have been interested in a Dj, Fortus and Ron GNR album. Not saying I'd like it. But I'm not against it on paper or morally.

But the best line up of GNR is the AFD line up. If they could have grown with the fans and put out multiple albums... But they didn't.

All's well that end's well.

Erm Brian Johnson might have recorded a little album called Back in Black with AC/DC - you know one of the best selling records of all time.(Its currently the 4th if you discount greatest hits records and 6th if you dont). It went 22x platinum.

If DJ, Ron, Tommy et al brought out an album that went to number 1 for weeks spawned a hit single or two we'd all be willing to accept them more.

I think the biggest problem for Guns was that to most casual/passing/general public fans the band finished in 93/94 with Axl, Slash, Duff, Matt, Gilby, Dizzy as the lineup. The band comes back in 2008 with a whole different line up and a whole different sound (I mean really different lets be honest here - VR has a different sound to GnR but you can see the steps - the change from AFD/UYI to CD is immense) and that sound was also quite out of date in 2008. Thus its hard to accept the change. Some people also remember the brief 2002 encounter with braids and a man with a KFC bucket on his head.

If the band had evolved at least in the public eye more gradually the members would of been better respected, if fortus had joined and they did another record in 1997 with Axl,Slash,Duff, Fortus, Frank for example the newer lineup would of been more pallatable.

Finally the band that toured CD and we're talking about - half of them wern't really involved other than pasting some parts on it. Brain plays the drums, BH. Finck and Tobais play the guitars (4tus did only 4 songs!) so you had a new GnR band record that was touring mostly with only the singer, bass player and keyboardist/fart noise specialsts who recorded it.

Finally DJ started so well and ended up so poor, I really don't know how that happened. Was he drunk for a large period of the later tours?

• Like 1

At some point he was working on classic sounding GNR material. I really want to hear that. I wonder if Axl or the label or satan decided to let Dj, Fortus and Ron record a GnR album what would that be like.

So it seems that Tommy and Dj both walked. Ron also for similar reasons.

So it starts to seem that Axl was left with no band and Slash and Duff are potentially just helping him out. Which then has grown into something almost like everyon's fantasy. But surely if Axl had recorded with Dj, Ron etc they would all be into it?

So it seems like Axl just wanted to keep the touring band for whenever or if he got CD II released. Fortus seemed to be involved in that.

But now what? Is this the same situation with Slash and Duff helping to tour CD II after the reunion cash grab. Or is this a brand new era?

Why shy away from reunion wording to then basically do a reunion?

I'm going to need more bourbon and get the old trenchcoat out. Columbo II: One Last Thing.

If anyone can solve this mystery it's you Wasted

• Like 1

I kind of wish Ron and Dj had made the next GNR album. For whatever reason things didn't move forward in that way. The reunion is really the answer to why.

Yeah? And why not shop-teacher Bob and Kevin's dad Thomas from the local VFW make the next GNR album?

Ron and DJ have NOTHING to do with why GNR was popular. They're as justified in making the next GNR album as you or me.

You could say that about a lot of bands though. Brian Johnson has nothing to do with why ACDC are successful. Ron Wood has nothing to do with why The Stones are successful.

I guess though it's more about the crux of the band. You need Slash as the Keef to Axl's Jagger. Then if you have Fortus and Frank, maybe nobody would care as much.

I'm not fussed if Brian Jones or Bill Wyman are in the Stones. I still bought those albums and attended those shows.

I like Black and Blue and Voodoo Lounge, Back in Black, Thunderstruck, CD. So I can pretend to be a line up purist but really I don't seem to care that much. So I would have been interested in a Dj, Fortus and Ron GNR album. Not saying I'd like it. But I'm not against it on paper or morally.

But the best line up of GNR is the AFD line up. If they could have grown with the fans and put out multiple albums... But they didn't.

All's well that end's well.

Erm Brian Johnson might have recorded a little album called Back in Black with AC/DC - you know one of the best selling records of all time.(Its currently the 4th if you discount greatest hits records and 6th if you dont). It went 22x platinum.

If DJ, Ron, Tommy et al brought out an album that went to number 1 for weeks spawned a hit single or two we'd all be willing to accept them more.

I think the biggest problem for Guns was that to most casual/passing/general public fans the band finished in 93/94 with Axl, Slash, Duff, Matt, Gilby, Dizzy as the lineup. The band comes back in 2008 with a whole different line up and a whole different sound (I mean really different lets be honest here - VR has a different sound to GnR but you can see the steps - the change from AFD/UYI to CD is immense) and that sound was also quite out of date in 2008. Thus its hard to accept the change. Some people also remember the brief 2002 encounter with braids and a man with a KFC bucket on his head.

If the band had evolved at least in the public eye more gradually the members would of been better respected, if fortus had joined and they did another record in 1997 with Axl,Slash,Duff, Fortus, Frank for example the newer lineup would of been more pallatable.

Finally the band that toured CD and we're talking about - half of them wern't really involved other than pasting some parts on it. Brain plays the drums, BH. Finck and Tobais play the guitars (4tus did only 4 songs!) so you had a new GnR band record that was touring mostly with only the singer, bass player and keyboardist/fart noise specialsts who recorded it.

Finally DJ started so well and ended up so poor, I really don't know how that happened. Was he drunk for a large period of the later tours?

True GNR's line up history is more convoluted.

But the success of Back in Black doesn't really mean much in those line up arguements. Without context it's an okay arguement but within the context it's not really a point. However successful Back in Black still isn't technically really ACDC in the context of GNR being held to a different standard. Once you record with Matt and Gilby it's not really GNR, and it's a slippery slope to CD era line ups. But still we accept ACDC with Brian or Stones with Ron Wood. So we have this purist fantasy but then look the other way if we like the music or it's successful.

But common sense prevails to accept you need historically speaking Slash and Axl to start fucking around with the line up. To stay within the traditional fake parameters of what is accepted.

Personally I think it's just the way rock bands are. All these egos, it's always falling apart. But if you have the name and some core members you might have a long career. But a constant line up generally doesn't happen. From the Stones to Alice in Chains. Even The Doors played with Ian Astbury. Seems like only Beatles and Zepp kept the line up.

I don't think the success of a mangled line up is a good point. CD was relatively successful but still not really accepted. But maybe that's how it is if the fans had acepted the line up maybe with Slash and Duff but with other players like frank and Fortus then it would have been deemed successful. With a more hard rock production. Then maybe it would fly.

It's interesting where the line is drawn. Some bands have more line up changes with less dissent. Megadeth. But it's band specific. And Guns for most is Axl and Slash at least. But that doesn't necessarily translate to what the band does. You can't always get what you want.

Dj or Ron can't really be judged on what they did too harshly. They did their best. It was really more about Axl getting the album out and touring it. It was pretty clear it wasn't the original line up and they didn't even try to make a hard rock album. So you can almost see it as Axl's band under the GNR name. And is that so bad.

Axl seemed to keep the name because he thought he deserved some of the benefits it offered. Also the money, he was potentially going to lose everything with one solo failure. I think the fact he waited and tried everything to keep Slash in GNR made up his mind a little bit.

Edited by wasted

I find it hard to believe he left not knowing Slash was coming. Initially he was saying it's more of a long hiatus. Axl seemed to have gone dark. So they all made their decisions. Maybe once the reunion gets going they will all say we knew but had to say quiet. Most of them said ay one point or another they were happy for the old guys to come back but it never looked likely.

• Like 2

I too pretend that he was never in the band and like to forget basically everything about the band from 2007 to 2015. Dreadful times for GnR.

He left because there wasn't a place for him in the band anymore. There already has been suggestions that this reunion has been in the works for sometime. It surely affected the departure of Ron, DJ and Tommy. If a Slash band member knows, GnR members have known.

But I am sure that it is a lot more satisfying to play your own songs, I'll give him that. That ain't no jive, but every day, every moment, I am so glad that he is out.

Edited by Teroz
  • Like 1

I know DJ gets a lot of heat on here but I feel he was good for GNR. He was a good showman and a very hard worker. If Axl had some motivation, I feel this would of been a good colaberation. Seems like another wasted opportunity. I still would like to hear the material that was supposed to be this trilogy.

• Like 2

Good guy. Really respect him for doing the right thing by quitting. But yeah when he quit it was obvious that it had to do with the fact that they weren't recording or releasing new music, unlike sixx am. I don't care who from team Brazil told what mod here (not that I'd ever doubt the mods hearing the information that they did) I really don't believe they truly had all that much intention to continue with the current lineup without reuniting with diff and slash at the least. Doesn't matter if they actually released new music or not which, you'd have to figure they knew there was a better chance they wouldn't release anything.

• Like 1

Does anyone think that after the reunion when slash releases another solo album that some of the stuff axl recorded like the general would be released as an Axl Rose solo album?

Personally that's what would like to see happen.

This is what I've been saying and hoping. I think there's more chance of an Axl solo record now, and he'd be better off doing it for his more beat-orientated stuff. Similar to Thom and his Atoms for Peace project. Though many complained King of Limbs was basically a Thom solo album.

Mick Mars always says you should play your own licks. mick mars is dead and he still goes out on stage and plays his own licks. Mick Mars rules!

Oh, wait this is the GNR forum, sorry. But then again Ashba is Sixx's beyatch in Sixx AM so there's the connection.

Mick Mars always says you should play your own licks. mick mars is dead and he still goes out on stage and plays his own licks. Mick Mars rules!

Oh, wait this is the GNR forum, sorry. But then again Ashba is Sixx's beyatch in Sixx AM so there's the connection.

Mick Mars is truly an unsung musical hero. So many amazing riffs and lick through the years. And still rocking harder than most, and certainly than wannabes like Ashba or BBF, despite his health.

Can't wait to hear his upcoming album with Crab.

• Like 2

Most fans were going to hate the lead guitarist brought in to replace Slash regardless. People hated Robin as well. I'm sure people hate Slash as well since he's the next replacement to come in for Slash.

Wait, what?

Edited by RJ88
  • Like 1

Sounds to me like DJ's got his head screwed on. Keeping it positive, which is the best way to got. Good on him. I guess Robin Finck and Buckethead also wanted to focus on their own work, and enjoyed all the attention being with Axl gave them.

One (probably more) question(s) remain: will Slash perform / cover any of the guitar work from Axl's Chinese Democracy ?

He didn't sling mud; he didn't blame anyone. He said he enjoyed his time in the band and was heading in another direction/wanted to do something different musically. Say what you will about DJ, but IMHO the way he has handled leaving GNR, and talking about it, has been nothing but gracious, professional and straightforward.

• Like 2

He didn't sling mud; he didn't blame anyone. He said he enjoyed his time in the band and was heading in another direction/wanted to do something different musically. Say what you will about DJ, but IMHO the way he has handled leaving GNR, and talking about it, has been nothing but gracious, professional and straightforward.

I'm sure he and the other former hired folk had/have contracts basically spelling out to take the high road with all comments or risk losing some of the bank they made off of the Guns name.

I'm sure he and the other former hired folk had/have contracts basically spelling out to take the high road with all comments or risk losing some of the bank they made off of the Guns name.

I'd be 99.9% sure that their contracts do include a Non-Disclosure Agreement of some sort because they've all been very quiet in the press about their time in GnR. However, compare the way he left vs. a lot of the others. Robin, Bumble, Brain, etc. didn't really say anything. Bucket and Axl had words through the press. DJ, on the other hand, made a statement that politely, directly and clearly spelled everything out WITHOUT pissing anyone off or giving the press any drama to chew on. The guy is incredibly media savvy and knows how to keep from burning his bridges.

Edited by stella