Matt Sorum Talks The Making Of Use Your Illusions I & II In New Interview

Very interesting listen. Matt is getting too much undeserved criticism, like basically all GN'R members who happen to be disliked for something.

Interesting how much power and control Axl had over the band at this time, even to the point of instructing Matt on how and what to play.

Interesting to hear about the dozen of different snares. Too bad this effort has mostly been wasted by too much compression added on the drums during the mixing stage...

I have always thought that the snares on UYI had a nice base sound under all the production techniques. For me, it is the reverb on the drums that wreck them. Massive Phil Collins toms and big round snares really date the records.

The same thing happened to the Pearl Jam records of the time, they re-released Ten without all the reverb though a few years ago.

Thanks for the link. Watching it now. Really like Matt and hope he's involved in the reunion

He'll be there :thumbsup:
Our latest GNR-insiderEddie Money has only confirmed Izzy for Vegas not Sorum or Adler.

What, what??? Are you serious? IZZY is actually confirmed 100% for sure for Vegas????? wow, I must have missed that, wow

Nothing is 100% confirmed but a guy who posts here who has been right about other things said Izzy is in for Vegas.

Izzy is in for sure. My source didn't say anything about Matt Sorum and said that there is still discussion about having Adler be a part of the tour on some level. They didnt say that Sorum would not be involved though. I'll likely have more info later this week.

• Like 3

I'm so happy he acknowledged how awful drum sounds were in the mid 80's seeping into the 90's. Hell, there's still too much reverb on UYI for my liking. While its said that Nevermind killed big hair or stadium dinosaur bands, I think Dave Grohl and Steve Albini did more changing the sound of rock music in that beautiful perfect drum sound. Albini got a beautiful drum tone on the Pixies record he did, Surfer Rosa. On In Utero it's a similar sound, but with Dave Grohl's monster pounding drumming.

Edited by TeeJay410
  • Like 1

^ Yup, totally could as well, I was hanging on every word.

He refers to Axl as a genius so to me that's a safe bet he's in on the comeback! ;-D

Except that was recorded sometime in 2015, possibly before any of this legit reunion stuff was even being discussed.

He refers to Axl as a genius so to me that's a safe bet he's in on the comeback! ;-D

Except that was recorded sometime in 2015, possibly before any of this legit reunion stuff was even being discussed.

Kerns said talk had been happening for over a year and a half, timeline fits to where Matt would know about it and may have either chose his words carefully to maintain the possibility of involvement or is in. There is also the possibility he was just speaking his honest opinion regardless of any relationship with Axl.

Kerns said talk had been happening for over a year and a half, timeline fits to where Matt would know about it and may have either chose his words carefully to maintain the possibility of involvement or is in. There is also the possibility he was just speaking his honest opinion regardless of any relationship with Axl.

Well the reunion stuff has been rumored for what? 30 years now? I meant legit discussion like when Slash divulged he and and Axl were on speaking terms again.

At any rate, I don't think hm saying "Axl is a genius" is indicative of anything other than he felt that was a genius idea. You can dislike someone and still respect their idea...or you can be subtly lobbying for a spot in the reunion plans. Either way, I wouldn't read anything into that other than taking it at face value myself.

Very interesting listen. Matt is getting too much undeserved criticism, like basically all GN'R members who happen to be disliked for something.

Interesting how much power and control Axl had over the band at this time, even to the point of instructing Matt on how and what to play.

I think Axl's instructions to Matt were only for the Trilogy songs, which was the Axl-songs on the record.

I remember a previous interview with Matt were he said that the drum fills on November Rain was the only time he was instructed to play something specific.

Pretty good interview with Matt this. I always love the behind-the-scenes stories. Would be a dream to have that same band back in that recording studio for an extended interview about the making of the records.

• Like 1

I think Axl's instructions to Matt were only for the Trilogy songs, which was the Axl-songs on the record.

I remember a previous interview with Matt were he said that the drum fills on November Rain was the only time he was instructed to play something specific.

Yeah, you are proably right. But I was also thinking about Axl coming in and telling them they would release two records.

Yeah, you are proably right. But I was also thinking about Axl coming in and telling them they would release two records.

That's true. He most definitely took the "visionary role" in the band.

I love love love shit like this, and Matt is very thoughtful and well-spoken here.

God there's so much potential with things like this. Imagine having Clink and other techs., and all the band (even Izzy), and whoever else has something interesting to say, all sit down and have talks like this. A couple hours out of their day. Minimal costs to produce (I would imagine). And if they want it to be a profit thing, I dunno, there's got to be a way. Kickstarter it. Whatever. This is shit fans love.

• Like 1

I love love love shit like this, and Matt is very thoughtful and well-spoken here.

God there's so much potential with things like this. Imagine having Clink and other techs., and all the band (even Izzy), and whoever else has something interesting to say, all sit down and have talks like this. A couple hours out of their day. Minimal costs to produce (I would imagine). And if they want it to be a profit thing, I dunno, there's got to be a way. Kickstarter it. Whatever. This is shit fans love.

I'd love to see that. UYI is when I became a fan and while I think AFD is a better album, UYI 1&2 are more important to me personally. I'd kill to see some kind of documentary that gets into the whole process from the early songwriting stages through the recording.

Watched most of this today and enjoyed it. Thanks again to the OP for posting!

Quick question though; Isn't Matt wrong about Garth Brooks being Number 1 when UYI I & II came out? I thought that II debuted at #1 and I debuted at #2, then they switched the next week.....right?

I can't imagine Frank being as interesting to listen to. Not saying he isn't a nice guy, but he doesn't seem to have much personality. Which is probably why Axl has kept him around tbh, he's easier to control.

Never mind the fact that his drumming doesn't fit the band....