Black students demand segregated spaces from white students

Snake-Pit

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/25748/

Black college students across the country have demanded that they be segregated from white peers, calling for “safe spaces” on campuses meant only for so-called students of color.

The requests for segregated spaces are found among some of the demand lists put forth by students who took part in protests this fall alleging their campuses are oppressive, discriminatory, and represent institutionalized racism.

At UCLA, the Afrikan Student Union is insisting upon an “Afrikan Diaspora floor” as well as an “Afro-house.”

“Black students lack spaces where they feel safe and comfortable,” the UCLA demands state. “The Afrikan Diaspora floor is a way for us to connect more to other Black students, the Afrikan Student Union, and the Afro-Am department. The floor should be branded as a safe space for all Black students.”

I seem to remember someone, a rather prominent person, who we now have a holiday for, saying that segregation was bad. Isn't segregation bad? Wasn't "separate but equal" bullshit?

the more we "progress" we regress even farther.

As a black man I find this very sad. It's not just in America that we get this silliness though. At my alma mater (see, I can be hip too) they are campaigning to have a statue of Cecil Rhodes taken down as he represents the white pillaging of Africa and, as a Colonialist he had decidedly non-21st century views on race relations and people of colour. Never mind that the statue is on a protected building or that his scholarship provides education or that he donated HUGE sums to the university; the fact that he mined in what is now Zimbabwe is enough for people to want him whitewashed (sorry, had to) from the university.

going to assume this is fake,

because I want it to be, surely

but on the other hand if I thought it would get us a private section of a building with a nice view of the courtyard, less crowded

I'd demand a private segregated space for me and my conservative hawks to be left alone my those mean ole liberals

Edited by shades

As a black man I find this very sad.

I imagine Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Rosa Parks and many other civil rights activists simultaneously rolling over in their graves over this.

Malcolm fought for separation of the races for most of his political 'career', even by the end of it when his mind was somewhat turned from the complete separation of the races he still kind of wanted a version of it insofar as for black people to strengthen and consolidate their own communities for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

How is this not racism? If a white person asked for this, the ACLU would be called in so fast, your head would spin. Yet, when someone discriminates against white people, no one cares.

Perhaps the idea of their asking for it is racism and discrimination? Not agreeing with it or anything just saying perhaps you're misunderstanding their perspective.

On a lighter note (no pun intended! :lol:), could they not think of a better name than the Afro House? :lol: I mean thats a notch down from The Coon Rooms isn't it, you're inviting it now :lol:

(sorry folks! :lol:)

Edited by Len B'stard