Assuming new material is actually on the table...

Assuming by an even bigger miracle than the reunion itself we actually get a whole new album of material, please please, PLEASE don't let it just be Slash and co just adding after thoughts to CD 2.

Even people who absolutely loved CD had a major gripe with the copy and paste structure. It lacked cohesiveness. It was completely frankensteined. It sounded like a money pit of (mostly) talented musicians coming and going, not a passionate group effort work of art. Don't make the same mistake twice.

Restart the whole writing process? No, not necessarily. But sure as shit start the recording process over. Throwing Slash, Duff, etc. into a clusterfuck of clusterfuck material is a huge waste of time and opportunity. At least rerecord the music. Take all the good shit Axl had in the vault, what Slash, Duff, and (hopefully) Izzy may have wrote, and any potential material lost from the 90s sessions, and throw them all into a melting pot. That to me would be the best route to go down, again assuming new music is even a topic of conversation among them.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I don't 100% agree with this. I mean, there were parts of CD that fit your description; but that's clearly the weaker side of everything on CD (Rhiad, Scraped). Is the album a bit clustered from time to time? yes, too many overdubs... sometimes it works other times it's just an aural nightmare. I'm not going to go into a defence of CD rant, but it's a little more rounded than you summarised.

As for a new album... I'm on the fence somewhat! a few years ago, even last year I would have said "release it, I don't care what the line up is", to a certain extent that thought process remains... but now I'm met with the possibility of Slash, Axl and Duff writing together with a good chance of Izzy piping in too... and it makes me wonder? would it not just be better if they just made a record with the band that is current. I don't think the entire work from the potential CD follow up should be scrapped (neither do you) instead I believe they should cherry pick, and come out of the gate with a strong album. How do you know if you have a strong album? well hire the right producer, the one that will tell you "you have 3 good songs" yeh, that guy.

All I wanted from 2010-2014 was for the band at that time to release music that they recorded, so!! I guess that train of thought should continue and the next gnr album shouldn't consist of material written solely by people who no longer play in the band. Leave the CD material alone and have Axl go out and promote it under his own name. Slash will still be out doing solo shows, so just like Slash, Axl should do the same, bringing robin, Tommy and whoever else he likes.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

My thought is release old band material,nugnr material,nunugnr material,1 song,3songs,12 songs,100 songs.....just release some damn music. Then the fans can praise critique or shit all over them. Bobbo I know it's just your thoughts but you sound like a whiny obnoxious know it all music critic that writes for music magazines in your first post.

• Like 1

They should take the CD2 songs with complete vocals, which I believe must be 1 or 2, 3 max. and rework them. Let Slash play all the guitars or work with Richard (he's acceptable) on giving the songs hooks and feeling (something completely lacking from CD). Put these songs on iTunes, play them live, play them on TV shows, make videos. There you have it, GNR at its best again. Never going to happen, just like CD2 would never happen either, so we're not really losing anything here.

• Like 2

I don't care what it takes, just give us some Axl studio material again. One of the biggest wastes of talent in music history given the lack of activity over the last 20 years.

This, don't care if it's CD II, Throwback to Appetite, some weird electronic thing, or any combination of the above. I'd be interested in hearing any of it.

Axl's problem is the material is written and he's not going to write anymore until the old stuff is used. As far as the music I think it would be completely re-done under Slash and Duff.

Although Slash has a good ear for how to tweak a song to a classic rock sound, so I see it being good either way

Assuming by an even bigger miracle than the reunion itself we actually get a whole new album of material, please please, PLEASE don't let it just be Slash and co just adding after thoughts to CD 2.

Even people who absolutely loved CD had a major gripe with the copy and paste structure. It lacked cohesiveness. It was completely frankensteined. It sounded like a money pit of (mostly) talented musicians coming and going, not a passionate group effort work of art. Don't make the same mistake twice.

Restart the whole writing process? No, not necessarily. But sure as shit start the recording process over. Throwing Slash, Duff, etc. into a clusterfuck of clusterfuck material is a huge waste of time and opportunity. At least rerecord the music. Take all the good shit Axl had in the vault, what Slash, Duff, and (hopefully) Izzy may have wrote, and any potential material lost from the 90s sessions, and throw them all into a melting pot. That to me would be the best route to go down, again assuming new music is even a topic of conversation among them.

Thoughts?

Here is the problem with that train of thought:

1. You are calling music you have never heard a turd. It may be epic, it may be a turd. You don't know because we have not heard it.

2. Applying this same logic, Just another Sunday, Bring it back home, Crash Diet, sentimental movie and all of the fabled "finished songs" that just needed Axl's vocals would all be turds because the original versions did not involve all band members.

3. I remember reading Slash saying the only song on Illusions that they recorded as a band was Shotgun Blues. The rest of it was piecemeal, leaving UYI 1&2 in the crap category.

Just because we're hilariously starved as fuck as a fanbase now doesn't mean we should settle for second rate, or essentially ANYTHING. What may look appealing now is just gonna look disappointing in retrospect.

Again they should keep foundations from what Axl has, as well as what they had in the past and may have come up with now. But they need to sculpt it with the tools they have now, instead of just gluing a broken vase.

Thoughts?

1. You are calling music you have never heard a turd. It may be epic, it may be a turd. You don't know because we have not heard it.

2. Applying this same logic, Just another Sunday, Bring it back home, Crash Diet, sentimental movie and all of the fabled "finished songs" that just needed Axl's vocals would all be turds because the original versions did not involve all band members.

3. I remember reading Slash saying the only song on Illusions that they recorded as a band was Shotgun Blues. The rest of it was piecemeal, leaving UYI 1&2 in the crap category.

I'm not getting in an argument over this bullshit again. But from what we know about CD (specifically from Axl) is that it's very close in vain to CD. So I'll leave it at that.

2+3. It was one thing recording songs separately eventually coming up with a finished product. And it's all from one single era of recording with essentially one lineup of the band of that specific era. It stands for more and is way more defined artistically. With "CD 2" it's all fractured, recorded parts, from various fractured lineups. It'd be riddled with after thoughts. It'd be murky and confused. It would be a gigantic mistake.

Edited by Bobbo

Thoughts?

I'm not getting in an argument over this bullshit again. But from what we know about CD (specifically from Axl) is that it's very close in vain to CD. So I'll leave it at that.

2+3. It was one thing recording songs separately eventually coming up with a finished product. And it's all from one single era of recording with essentially one lineup of the band of that specific era. It stands for more and is way more defined artistically. With "CD 2" it's all fractured, recorded parts, from various fractured lineups. It'd be riddled with after thoughts. It'd be murky and confused. It would be a gigantic mistake.

I get the knee jerk reaction, I really do. I'm not being sarcastic. When you stop and think about it, you really have no argument whatsoever. Are confused and think that they couldn't remove other guitar parts completely? Do you think it would be Slash playing over top of a finished song? Outside you having that misconception, maybe you don't understand how the band functioned? Are you under the impression that they all sat in a room and wrote all the songs together? They wrote songs on their own or in pairs and brought it to the group and everyone added their sound and take to it.

How is having Slash do the guitar for "The General" any different from Estranged where Axl just kept telling him to do it over and over again until it was the sound Axl wanted and only Slash could produce? It's not like it was some organic one shot deal where just sat down and did it. Axl had a vision for a song and as he has said on many occasion, only Slash had the tools to make it a reality. Axl has a vision for the General, maybe he needs Slash to make it a reality.

How is a song different if Axl wrote it by himself and brought it to the band while they were "officially a band" and he has mock ups on a drum machine any different than a song Axl wrote by himself when they "were not a band" with a mock up that had a real drummer?

Should there be 100% original music? Hell yeah, but to dismiss the "big guns" because Axl and Slash were not on speaking terms when Axl wrote them is asinine.

Edited by DeadSlash

Which is why I specifically said from the start that they shouldn't start the writing process over again, merely only the recording process. Take the foundation of the big guns Axl has, and whatever the others guys have, and flesh it out based on who's here. I mean really, I'm not sure what you're missing here as I've actually been saying the polar opposite of what you're accusing me of. :shrugs: My premise has been make these songs reflect who the band is now. Not adding after thoughts to material of the band that never really was. For example, November Rain was written by Axl in 83 and there were even demos. But it wasn't a revolving door of whoevers adding, copying, and pasting all the way up to 91. It was recorded and fleshed out by the then gnr, and was a song that was defined by the players who were actually guns n roses in that moment. That's what this band should strive for now.

Am I confused about the fact that they can remove guitar parts? No. Did they do that for CD? Kinda in some places, but for the most part not really. Were there a lot of cases where there was just shit piled on by shit piled on by even more shit by a revolving door of musicians? More so than not. And that's what I don't want. That's what most fans don't want.

im well aware the old band wrote songs separately, but again, at the end of the day, the actual result of the their output was reflective of the then current lineup releasing them. Not people playing along with old ghost members they never even met and that haven't been in the creative process in a decade. THAT'S what would be asinine.

CD era Guns is dead. Expect to see the material stripped back (and if theres a decent song under there) and then completly redone for a few numbers.

Also Im pretty sure with regards to UYI recording, that was the 90's with budget Multi-tracking was a thing by then and Guns didn't do any copy and paste. By that I mean they just did take after take till they got it right (mostly im sure theres a few Solos and Vocal bits edited), just Matt did his parts first then either Izzy or Duff, then Slash's guitar finally they put Axl on there (Dizzy would depend on what song it was) - Theres what 30 ish songs on that album, thats a week of work per member minimum - So if your Slash are you going to sit in the studio for 3 weeks listening to Drum takes? Negative!

CD was pretty bad but there were a couple decent songs.. I am sure Axl has some good ideas.. Take the best couple at most and rework them to see how it sounds. I would actually much rather have Axl take the album Slash/Duff and Izzy wrote and add his take to those songs.

• Like 1

CD was pretty bad but there were a couple decent songs.. I am sure Axl has some good ideas.. Take the best couple at most and rework them to see how it sounds. I would actually much rather have Axl take the album Slash/Duff and Izzy wrote and add his take to those songs.

Double album of CD big guns and The Project unfinished album. Then work up the next album on tour ;)

The General is the sequel to Estranged?

That might make sense to have Slash on it.

If what we heard was actually The General intro, I'd say it has a horror vibe to it which Slash appreciates. If it's doom metal, he'll probably be on board.

Edited by Rovim

I honestly don't care what the origin of any new material is. I don't care if it came from the 96-02 GN'R era. I don't care if they're throw offs from anything Slash, Duff or Izzy have been involved in. So on and so forth. I'd just love new material from GN'R.