Do you think that Axl saved the big guns for a possible reunion?

I think there's an Axl quote about why CD exists. He wanted to make a spirtual album without going religious? He was motivated by petty dictators around the world. So I think there was a theme that in someways guided which songs. But also he talked about what was right to release. Pushing the envelope too far. But also the songs need to be able to be played live. He wants to experiment and be popular.

Slash coming in now is perfect. Axl has songs written, no need to wait 5 years for him to write something. If Slash, Duff and Izzy knock up some songs that's great.

I'd be happy with Bride of Franenstein mixtape. Made with chemicals from 96 to 16.

They just need to write one classic GNR rocker to hang it all on.

There is a lot of songwriters with chemistry here and 20 years with no shared musical activity is bound to at least excite some of the band members.

I don't believe there's shortage of material and the lyrical themes of some songs are general concepts like you said, petty dictators, love, lies, and knowing better.

It can sound way more Gn'R and Izzy could probably come up with a cool riff or basic structure that the others can work with. Slash is a riff making machine and his lead playing sounds naturally great with Axl's vocals.

I just hope Axl will not be too slow again. Not sure about production and finding a middle ground there with Slash, but he didn't give enough of a fuck about Josh Abraham producing Contraband, said he wasn't a guitar guy but did it anyway.

Mike Clink can help with even just giving his opinion and being there. Kinda like when Axl wanted Ezrin's feedback about the material. Clink knows what a Guns song should sound like imo. Give him CD ll to listen to. He never really failed at capturing the band's sound.

Edited by Rovim

Damn, cart before the horse guys.

No, there probably won't be 'big guns', and I'm defining big guns as the allegedly heavy hitting songs from the ChiDem era that Axl and other band members have alluded to at various points during the breakup.

Guns N' Roses has like, millions of fans, and only a fraction of them care enough about ChiDem era releases for it to be worth it to debut songs written for the 2001-2015 lineup at the time. I also don't see Slash and Duff wanting to debut new music

under the GN'R name that they had no involvement in whatsoever, but will inevitably be attributed to them because they are performing it during the reunion tour. I highly HIGHLY doubt that. If new music is going to be debuted, it will most certainly be

new music that has been written in the last six months, and has had involvement and writing credits to Slash and Duff as well as Axl. The Chinese Democracy era is either on haitus now, or scrapped completely.

I suppose the footnote on all GN'R speculation is 'anything is possible'. So I guess there is a slim chance, but in order for this reunion to work, Axl must have had to give up some of his outlandish and dictator like control over the comings and goings of the band.

No, there probably won't be 'big guns', and I'm defining big guns as the allegedly heavy hitting songs from the ChiDem era that Axl and other band members have alluded to at various points during the breakup.

Guns N' Roses has like, millions of fans, and only a fraction of them care enough about ChiDem era releases for it to be worth it to debut songs written for the 2001-2015 lineup at the time. I also don't see Slash and Duff wanting to debut new music

under the GN'R name that they had no involvement in whatsoever, but will inevitably be attributed to them because they are performing it during the reunion tour. I highly HIGHLY doubt that. If new music is going to be debuted, it will most certainly be

new music that has been written in the last six months, and has had involvement and writing credits to Slash and Duff as well as Axl. The Chinese Democracy era is either on haitus now, or scrapped completely.

I suppose the footnote on all GN'R speculation is 'anything is possible'. So I guess there is a slim chance, but in order for this reunion to work, Axl must have had to give up some of his outlandish and dictator like control over the comings and goings of the band.

Axl is at least reasonable enough to take Slash back. A crucial step. Maybe now that the clock is ticking he'll move his ass, but no way of knowing. I believe he always cared more about the albums and Chinese 1 wasn't the last "Guns" album.

Edited by Rovim

Axl is at least reasonable enough to take Slash back. A crucial step. Maybe now that the clock is ticking he'll move his ass, but no way of knowing. I believe he always cared more about the albums and he Chinese 1 wasn't the last "Guns" album.

I'm not sure that the decision to debut Chinese Dem era material is entirely up to Axl. Slash and Duff may not want to debut songs that they had no stake in, and it could just be an awkward situation for everyone.

Not saying that the 'vault' will never be opened and released. But I doubt it will debut on a reunion tour.

Must be awkward for the band members who probably were scared to even mention slash to be working with him now. Hopefully we get some more tunes to enjoy this year. I think Axl was getting ready for another release with or without Slash. I don't think he was saving stuff anticipating the reunion.

I think there's an Axl quote about why CD exists. He wanted to make a spirtual album without going religious? He was motivated by petty dictators around the world. So I think there was a theme that in someways guided which songs. But also he talked about what was right to release. Pushing the envelope too far. But also the songs need to be able to be played live. He wants to experiment and be popular.

Slash coming in now is perfect. Axl has songs written, no need to wait 5 years for him to write something. If Slash, Duff and Izzy knock up some songs that's great.

I'd be happy with Bride of Franenstein mixtape. Made with chemicals from 96 to 16.

They just need to write one classic GNR rocker to hang it all on.

There is a lot of songwriters with chemistry here and 20 years with no shared musical activity is bound to at least excite some of the band members.

I don't believe there's shortage of material and the lyrical themes of some songs are general concepts like you said, petty dictators, love, lies, and knowing better.

It can sound way more Gn'R and Izzy could probably come up with a cool riff or basic structure that the others can work with. Slash is a riff making machine and his lead playing sounds naturally great with Axl's vocals.

I just hope Axl will not be too slow again. Not sure about production and finding a middle ground there with Slash, but he didn't give enough of a fuck about Josh Abraham producing Contraband, said he wasn't a guitar guy but did it anyway.

Mike Clink can help with even just giving his opinion and being there. Kinda like when Axl wanted Ezrin's feedback about the material. Clink knows what a Guns song should sound like imo. Give him CD ll to listen to. He never really failed at capturing the band's sound.

This would be starting to record again. If there's a reunion record I think Clink is obvious choice or OBrien for something like Rock or Bust.

But in terms of CD II already being recorded or that 3 albums worth of material. I don't know how you work Slash, Izzy, Duff back into that. Unless it's Down by the Ocean, this Fortus/Slash song, maybe a few new songs basically like the Constanzo session that spawned Shackler's, Scraped, Sorry, ITW solo. Keep the Beltrami orchestration tracks. Then you have all the components of a GNR album. Basically what Axl has been working and new material from returning Guns. Best of Both Worlds.

But I would say Axl wasn't holding big guns back, they probably didn't fit or go with CD's theme or vibe.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Nah.....

Because that would make CDs flop look even worse and even more like Axl couldn't do anything w/o Slash.

I would disagree with this just based on the fact that Axl has said he needed Slash. I think maybe if Slash was doing Original GnR type sales without Axl he might think he has something to prove, but Slash didn't. These guys spent the last few decades looking for a replacement for the other and finally realized they wont find one.

Now, to be clear, that's not to say that I'm convinced Axl held on to the big guns with the sole intent of having Slash do them. I'm floating that out there, yes but I think it is more likely he wants them perfect and Slash will be able to make them perfect.

Let's not forget that November rain and Don't cry were old songs that Axl hung onto until he felt they were perfect. 5-7 years or something he sat on them? It wasn't because they sucked, they weren't "finished." Based on that, the precedent is set. It is not outside the real of possibility Seven and the General are big guns waiting for that perfect sound.

• Like 1

But do you think they will knock out an Estranged or Nov Rain in a couple of months starting fresh?

Axl coming up with lyrics and melodies and even piano parts. Why wouldn't he use the songs he's already worked on. Considering he's already got lyrics and recorded vocals.

Maybe there aren't any. Maybe they would avoid that kind of material. It seems to take Axl 5 years to finish a song.

To me the point of a reunion is to get that line up writing again. And the label would pay for studio time. Whether it's re-recording Axl material or doing fresh songs.

CD material has a stigma. If we think of it as Axl material he wants Slash to work on for GNR it's much more fun.

Nah.....

Because that would make CDs flop look even worse and even more like Axl couldn't do anything w/o Slash.

I would disagree with this just based on the fact that Axl has said he needed Slash. I think maybe if Slash was doing Original GnR type sales without Axl he might think he has something to prove, but Slash didn't. These guys spent the last few decades looking for a replacement for the other and finally realized they wont find one.

Now, to be clear, that's not to say that I'm convinced Axl held on to the big guns with the sole intent of having Slash do them. I'm floating that out there, yes but I think it is more likely he wants them perfect and Slash will be able to make them perfect.

Let's not forget that November rain and Don't cry were old songs that Axl hung onto until he felt they were perfect. 5-7 years or something he sat on them? It wasn't because they sucked, they weren't "finished." Based on that, the precedent is set. It is not outside the real of possibility Seven and the General are big guns waiting for that perfect sound.

I hear that and I know Axl has said certain things here and there about needing Slash. I mean, look at that phone interview he did with Kurt Loder. He says he wasn't able to make a good rock & roll record because Slash was stopping him and then he turns right around and says it's taking so long because he had to find a "Slash style player", or something like that.

In the end, I think we got the certain songs on CD for a lot of reasons but I don't think Slash has anything to do with it. Personally, I like 13 of the 14 tracks on CD. Do I think they're all the greatest GN'R songs ever written? No, not with so-so cuts like Scraped on there. I do think songs like The Blues, Better, TWaT, Chinese Democracy and Madagascar are up there with the greats though.

I think Axl cares a LOT more about what the world in general thinks about him then he'd lead us to believe. The whole CD era is already looked at as enough of a failure without adding ther raging success of a follow up album involving Slash but featuring songs from that same era with him on them.

Hopefully that all makes sense. When I read it back, it's kind of rambling but it makes sense in my head lol.

But do you think they will knock out an Estranged or Nov Rain in a couple of months starting fresh?

Axl coming up with lyrics and melodies and even piano parts. Why wouldn't he use the songs he's already worked on. Considering he's already got lyrics and recorded vocals.

Maybe there aren't any. Maybe they would avoid that kind of material. It seems to take Axl 5 years to finish a song.

To me the point of a reunion is to get that line up writing again. And the label would pay for studio time. Whether it's re-recording Axl material or doing fresh songs.

CD material has a stigma. If we think of it as Axl material he wants Slash to work on for GNR it's much more fun.

I couldn't say either way whether or not I believe Slash Axl and Duff will work on new material, but I sure hope they do. I'd like to see some creativity come to fruitation as a result of the tour

I couldn't say either way whether or not I believe Slash Axl and Duff will work on new material, but I sure hope they do. I'd like to see some creativity come to fruitation as a result of the tour
I just don't think Axl will start from scratch and Slash is probably relieved. He might scrap it and just say you handle the music, I'll sing. I guess what I'm saying is how long can we wait for this new material. Next year at the latest?

Is Axl writing lyrics now about sycophant celebrities with non existant pivotal media distress? Slash is playing an Izzy riff really fast and heavy. It's now or never!

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly though Slash on Chi dem, Better, SOD, TWAT, Catcher, Sorry, IRS, Madagascar, TIL would all be huge GNR songs. Some of the stuff on Chinese is probably too much for metal fans. It's such a diverse fan base. And in a way GNR hit everyone up. Even on UYI. Different think different tracks are awesome. What Chinese didn't cater too much was the hard rock or metal base. Maybe Chi dem or Better did it but if not you are fucked really. But in the broad scheme of things it probably brought in a few new fans too. That's the up side of risk taking artist. There's probably no GNR fan who stopped liking AFD because they hated CD that much. And with Slash and Duff coming back nothing is being lost in terms of touring. 

The big question is can they make an album that matches their legend. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wasted said:

The big question is can they make an album that matches their legend. 

I think with Izzy helping out, CD ll material and 2 more albums worth of Axl vault material to choose from and Slash and Duff they can cover all the bases.

Slash and Duff make shit rock hard. Izzy grounds it, Axl makes it timeless and perfect sounding, gives it the right kind of Gn'R finish.

To rerecord or not to rerecord. Atlas Shrugged is like November Rain on crack with Slash on board.

Edited by Rovim