Pantera’s Phil Anselmo Shouted ‘White Power’ And Snapped A Nazi Salute During A Concert

gunsguy

Honestly, who gives a fuck. If he's up there denouncing black people that's one thing, but I don't see the difference between this and Mexican UFC fighters with Brown Pride tattoos.

Because a minority does so to assert its identity, a majority doing the same thing is asserting it's superiority. Black people shouting about black power, from the perspective of a dominant majority is almost cute, when a dominant majority seeks to assert it's identity, it's already an asserted and dominant identity, it becomes something else, something sinister.

There was a boxer over here, black guy, who once said, when asked why he didn't make more of a point of his racial identity that he didn't make more it 'because it suggests that there's something wrong with it', it's the preserve of those who have been maligned or forgotten or ignored or not well regarded to begin with, after all why would you need to assert or propagate or impose a sense of pride if it already existed?

Oh bullshit, man

Both things are disgusting

Hypocritism at it's finest....

Fuck black pride

Fuck white pride

Fuck brown pride

If your skin color is the only thing that you can be proud about, then you are a loser

Edited by Strange Broue

Honestly, who gives a fuck. If he's up there denouncing black people that's one thing, but I don't see the difference between this and Mexican UFC fighters with Brown Pride tattoos.

Because a minority does so to assert its identity, a majority doing the same thing is asserting it's superiority. Black people shouting about black power, from the perspective of a dominant majority is almost cute, when a dominant majority seeks to assert it's identity, it's already an asserted and dominant identity, it becomes something else, something sinister.

There was a boxer over here, black guy, who once said, when asked why he didn't make more of a point of his racial identity that he didn't make more it 'because it suggests that there's something wrong with it', it's the preserve of those who have been maligned or forgotten or ignored or not well regarded to begin with, after all why would you need to assert or propagate or impose a sense of pride if it already existed?

Oh bullshit, man

Both things are disgusting

Hypocritism at it's finest....

Fuck black pride

Fuck white pride

Fuck brown pride

If your skin color is the only thing that you can be proud about, then you are a loser

Its an obvious and very simplistic principle, minority races that have a history of oppression make a point of racial pride as a reaction and often a necessary re-education to rid themselves of a miseducation, it can lead to bad things yes but for a time it is wholly necessary.

It is not hypocrisy to say somethin is needed in one instance and not so much in the other. If anything white people should take it as a compliment cuz it borders on me calling them more highly evolved. Though the fact that I'm having to explain this and the conversation has degenerated to 'WAAAAAH, WAAAAAAH, THEY CAN DO IT WHY CANT I?!?' kinda stands contrary to the whole 'more highly evolved' thing. Perhaps we are all pigs of the same sty after all.

Overall you're right, both things are disgusting, which makes it all the more disgusting that we've created a world where disgusting things are necessary.

Edited by Len B'stard

What made me laugh about the whole thing was that right after this happened Phil put out a statement trying to be all hardcore saying "no apologies from me" and that people needed to lighten up etc. Then a few days later the shitstorm is bigger than he ever anticipated and he uploads a video almost on the verge of tears, begging for forgiveness and hanging his head in shame.

What a fake twat.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

Someones personal ideology is not something that I worry about.. unless its bleeding into their music/lyrics.

For example... Ted Nugent is a legend. I love his guitar playing... but it was overpowered by his sheer ruthless animal slaughter/killing.

Phil Anselmo is probably the last rockstars post grunge. Him n Marilyn Manson were the only ones that embraced the metal and big rock shows. He continued working relentlessly with many many bands - Down, Superjoint, Illegals etc. I love his music.

And I dont support his act... and he shouldnt give Mel Gibson excuses - I was drunk.

But that wont make me headbang to his music.

When i was younger i thought that he is a skinhead, lol

He is just a dumbass who hasn't done anything memorable since Pantera, that's all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinhead

Dumbass for sure but he has done lots since Pantera, hell Down is even better than Pantera IMO.

What made me laugh about the whole thing was that right after this happened Phil put out a statement trying to be all hardcore saying "no apologies from me" and that people needed to lighten up etc. Then a few days later the shitstorm is bigger than he ever anticipated and he uploads a video almost on the verge of tears, begging for forgiveness and hanging his head in shame.

What a fake twat.

Sucks so bad. He deserves all the shit he has gotten and should be ashamed.

Scott Ian has challenged Phil to really make things right:

Friends,

Hate speech. Racism. Inflammatory rhetoric.

All dangerous no matter what the context. I have ZERO TOLERANCE for any of this and to not speak out against them is as dangerous as the acts themselves.

Philip's actions were vile and that should be the focus here, anything else is just noise.

Philip has apologized and I would like to offer him the opportunity to really show how much he loves everyone by making a donation to the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

Peace,
Scott

http://scott-ian.com

• Like 2

On 2016. 02. 01. at 5:26 PM, CheapJon said:

When i was younger i thought that he is a skinhead, lol

He is just a dumbass who hasn't done anything memorable since Pantera, that's all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinhead

Dumbass for sure but he has done lots since Pantera, hell Down is even better than Pantera IMO.

What made me laugh about the whole thing was that right after this happened Phil put out a statement trying to be all hardcore saying "no apologies from me" and that people needed to lighten up etc. Then a few days later the shitstorm is bigger than he ever anticipated and he uploads a video almost on the verge of tears, begging for forgiveness and hanging his head in shame.

What a fake twat.

Sucks so bad. He deserves all the shit he has gotten and should be ashamed.

Down is over rated

I personally LOVE stoner metal, but Down doesn't hold a candle on the genre. Down sucks, imho

and yeaah, i know the difference between skinheads and bone heads :lol:

Guess what, i like skinhead reggae

Btw this is an interesting take

Edited by Strange Broue

From my experience metal is not inherently a racist genre but it is certainly white. It is too nerdy to be vehement against anything such as race. It is full of acne kids playing warhammer and world of warcraft and discussing goblins and elves. Even the big hairy buggers are still obsessed with video games and are not really tough in the slightest to be honest; they are just fat and have a lot of excess hair. But it is not a racist genre.

• Like 1

to paint a fucking genre of music based on one douche bag :facepalm: 

there are a bunch of non white metal bands. people who usually talk shit about this really no little or nothing about the genre and just paint with a broad brush.

that was a great post from ian.

Edited by bran
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Down got removed from Nova Rock thanks to Phil's actions. Hopefully more European festivals follow suit.

I think it was Forta rock or something but yes. 

13 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

Down is over rated

I personally LOVE stoner metal, but Down doesn't hold a candle on the genre. Down sucks, imho

and yeaah, i know the difference between skinheads and bone heads :lol:

tumblr_nw52vgYiIN1rz6w0do1_500.gif

A written apology after Down got cancelled by FortaRock

"To all this will concern,

"Every citizen in this entire world has the unalienable right to live with dignity and respect without hate or oppression. And I mean this, with all of my crushed, yet, guilty heart.

"It's common knowledge that we can choose to either learn from our mistakes, or continue on a path of insensitivity and destruction.

"I am utterly responsible for the mistakes I have made, and can only give you my word to no longer do them in the present, through ACTION, not just mere words.

"My bandmates are now experiencing the consequences of my behavior, and I now publicly apologize to them as well. Never in my entire lifetime would I drag them down with me, and I've privately suggested to them that they move on without me.

"My biggest obstacle(s) are the over-indulging in the booze and blurting out spiteful, ignorant reductions of the human spirit itself. I will address these issues, head-on.

"I'm repulsed by my own actions, and the self-loathing I'm going through right now is justified by the hurt I've caused.

"I realize we live in a society where apologies are NOT accepted easily, yet long for a day when they can be, but I also understand if I'm shunned 'till I hit the dirt.

"From the bottom of my heart, and with all sincerity, I, once again, am truly sorry for the pain I have caused.

"With truth, love, hope & respect — Philip H. Anselmo"

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/philip-anselmo-i-once-again-am-truly-sorry-for-the-pain-i-have-caused/#yQO7KevMCWu6bhp6.99

Really hope he's considering quitting booze, old fucker can't handle it and it shows in more ways than this giant fuck-up. Gotta suck to be his band mates as well at the moment, I mean it's not the reported 3 million GNR gets for their shows but it's probably still a significant loss of income. Of course he's confident enough to suggest to them to move on without him, sure they could but likely wouldn't get paid half of what they are getting now. And to publicly stating that he has done it "privately". Jackass :lol:

"...just shup and sing"

Pepper Keenan

"Any one who knows me is aware that I am not one to dabble much in social media, however due to what transpired last week at Dimebash I feel the need to respond and reach out to friends, family, music peers and fans worldwide.

I am saddened and confused by the behavior of Philip Anselmo last week. I do not condone what was gestured and said. This lapse in judgment of “making a joke” was in terribly poor taste and unacceptable.

That philosophy is the opposite of what I am about. My heart follows love and soul and my music has been inspired from people of all walks of life and musical styles. I view music as a gift that is universal and intended for all of humanity. As a proud New Orleanian, life is about celebrating diversity through music, it’s about bringing people together, not tearing apart.

I won’t speak for Phil but I’ve known him most of my life and I know there is not hate in his heart, however I hope at this moment in time Phil will focus his energy on self-reflection and begin the process of regaining perspective, healing himself and those lives he has touched through music

Through Down, Philip and I have written many beautiful and powerful songs in the past that have touched and inspired people from all walks of life positively and have helped pull many out of their own darkest hours. This is not something I take for granted and should always be at the forefront of one’s conscience to keep you grounded, humbled and grateful.

One of the responsibilities and joys, in my opinion, of being an artist or musician is having the ability to help make the world a better place.

I accept Phil’s apology, and I believe he can.

I’ll be there…if needed.

Love and Respect,

Pepper Keenan"

Good on you Pep!

On 2/3/2016 at 4:06 AM, bran said:

to paint a fucking genre of music based on one douche bag :facepalm: 

there are a bunch of non white metal bands. people who usually talk shit about this really no little or nothing about the genre and just paint with a broad brush.

that was a great post from ian.

Agreed. I've actually seen the Spanish crowd represent pretty strong at some metal shows.

Ian's post was great and he pretty much nailed it. But, I'm not really with the whole...donate money to make this right. Phil said some stupid, racist shit, then gives a half ass excuse and a forced apology. Him donating 5 grand to something doesn't change anything. You racist motherfucker, oh you donated 5 grand, well obviously you're not really racist then. Or, donate some money, there now, we can forget about the racist stuff. Yeah he gave a nazi salute, but then he donated money after we called him out on it so it's all good. Fuck all that. I mean if he donates money, does that prove he truly is sorry? I don't think so. Just proves he got called out and trying to cover his ass. Money doesn't solve everything, including racism. I've just seen too many celebs do or say some ignorant shit, then do stuff like the big apology and donating money, it's all bullshit to me.

Edited by J Dog