Can they make new music together again - or is it a lost cause?

Hi Marc, as people get older they often become more set in their ways. Do you think there is any chance Slash,Axl & Duff (Maybe Izzy?) could get along with their musical differences to successfully work together in the studio again?

I mean that was a huge reason they split in the first place right ? Now that many years have passed and Axl became more progressive, Slash more rock and even heavier, and Duff with his punk-slant to his own music, do you think they could ever agree on a common ground musically to create together again?

Hi Marc, as people get older they often become more set in their ways. Do you think there is any chance Slash,Axl & Duff (Maybe Izzy?) could get along with their musical differences to successfully work together in the studio again?

I mean that was a huge reason they split in the first place right ? Now that many years have passed and Axl became more progressive, Slash more rock and even heavier, and Duff with his punk-slant to his own music, do you think they could ever agree on a common ground musically to create together again?

of course axl, izzy, slash and duff can make music again

hopefully they are making it right now

if the four of them are willing to make new music together, then all they need is get together in a room with three guitars (or four, since now axl apparently plays that too)

thats all there is to it

when that happens (again, hopefully it IS happening), music will pour out of them like fucking rain

and the world will be a way better place

• Like 1

Hell yes. The band (Axl n Duff) have proven they can still write and record relevant music, and Axl most likely has some creativeness left in the tank. He only did the 1 album in 25 years. And I guess maybe 2 with the rumored CD2. Hopefully he saved the good stuff for this day (reunion).

15 hours ago, LikeADog93 said:

As long as they are alive and can arrange time to get together to write and come up with riff ideas, new music is always a possibility.

Pretty much this. Considering how workhorse-like Slash and Duff have been in the last few years, it seems likely.

10 hours ago, GNFR said:

Pretty much this. Considering how workhorse-like Slash and Duff have been in the last few years, it seems likely.

And also the fact that Izzy and Duff have both written together and played on each other's albums numerous times in recent years is a good indicator as well. Like I said in another thread, if there is new material, I don't want it to be Chinese Democracy 2 feat Slash and Duff, I want it to be Izzy and Slash working together on coming up with Appetite style instrumental tracks with Axl coming in at the end and adding his lyrics and melodies on top of what Izzy and Slash composed. That's GN'R!! I don't want all these supposed new songs that Axl has to ever see the light of day.

Edited by LikeADog93

Well i guess they are all productive in there one way, Slash has always been busy making music, also Duff, Izzy made music on a regular basis and Axl.... well i guess the sudden "being a star" had impact on im in the 90's. And coming to the realization he needs the right people around him to make the music he likes and wants us to hear, I personally never had the impression he himself was that satisfied with CD....

But we will see if they put something new out and if they can work with each other again. I hope they wil enjoy preforming together again, just for there own fun and not the money.

I honestly believe that magic happens when these guys write together, even through the apparently very difficult 'Use Your Illusion' writing sessions look at what the outcome was. I think that you can see in the material that has been produced by NuGnr and Slash / Duff / VR the missing catalyst is each other.

I think at least they're giving it a shot. People are often inspired when they did not have the chance to use this kind of musical chemistry in 20 years. I think they still have that, so great things can potentially happen.

I hope they are wiser now that they are older. Slash seems to be careful and doesn't want to fuck shit up, Duff has proved he's the right guy to calm down Axl's tits, at least in some situations, and Izzy is attaching himself again to Guns in the most Izzy way possible.

I'm excited, Steven is always a question mark for me but it's good that he's not talking. I wish he'll at least play Nightrain in Vegas. Maybe not in Vegas.

Edited by Rovim

Don't know if he has any involvement with the boys these days but Izzy mentioned in an interview way back when that If they ever did reunite He, Duff and Slash could write a GnR album in a matter of weeks and all it would need then was Axl's lyrics and/or vocals.

It would be interesting to see if they can come together creatively and come up with at least a couple of new songs together.............

I believe when you have chemistry on that level and Izzy involved, even old they can deliver a true Guns album that is not cock rock.

The problem with Slash's solo stuff to me is that most of the time it's not as inspired as it could be. It doesn't sound fresh or as exciting like he was in Guns. The material is not timeless for the most part and the man just doesn't know how to create good song structures imo. Lyrics are consistently horrid.

With Axl, it was basically Slash is missing and it lacks enough Guns elements for many people. Not enough rockers.

Now they have ideas from Fortus, Izzy, Axl, Robin, Bucket, Josh, Paul, Slash and Duff. It's a good start. Axl is good at putting together musical puzzles.

On 2/12/2016 at 5:09 AM, recklessroad said:

There is no reason why they couldn't make new music again. We already know that they have great chemistry when they work together.

I know they have great chemistry together - or they did in the past and that was a long time ago. I guess I am referring to the fact that they split for many reasons but direction of music was a big part of that. 

I just wonder if they would be able to agree musically with what kind of music they would create now?  It would be brilliant to see them come back to the rock n' roll that got them to the heights as the best band in the world, but it would take some compromise from all involved. 

No doubt though that Axl and Slash bring out the best in each other. I think in a strange way that Slash's guitar style and the sound he creates really complements Axl's voice. I know that sounds weird - how can a guitar complement someone's vocals??? 

Apart from that, I reckon Slash is the best guitarist on the planet and have thought this for 25 - 30 years now. I don't know anyone, ever, that has been so good at creating solos that sound amazing and fit each individual song so perfectly. Slash does that naturally with ease time and time again, whether in the past with GnR songs or his solo work.  It is a unique talent that Axl could never in a million years find a replacement for, and I hope and pray that they give us at least one more album together before this is all over. 

Anyway, I'm still stunned this is all happenning and stoked they seem to be good now. I hope they are catching up with each other socially (like have a meal together at a restaurant) and not just professionally and that peace has entered their lives for good.  :-)