How would you solve the drummer question?

My idea was to have Matt or Frank (I personally don't care which, but choose just one) for the regular show. Save a few, let's say 3-5, AfD/Lies songs for the encore, and just bring Steven in for the encore. That way you only gamble a small part of the show on Steven, you avoid an awkward drummer change between songs because you've got the encore break anyway, you give the fans a nice surprise, and Steven gets his big moment with GNR every night.

So I guess the choices are Steven, Matt, Frank or a combination of some kind. Given musical considerations as well as their personal and professional history, what do you think the band should do?

Well if you're counting personal history, that's Adler ruled out right away and that's excluding his addictions.

Edited by AtariLegend

Steven has been "six months sober" for the last twenty years and that sucks because he should be the one up there, based on his performance on AFD.

I think Frank is fine so keep him and have Steven guest on some shows where Izzy is there aswell.

This. I'd also handle it like that.

So I guess the choices are Steven, Matt, Frank or a combination of some kind. Given musical considerations as well as their personal and professional history, what do you think the band should do?

Last I heard Frank is the drummer in GN'R. No reason to even contemplate alternatives.

• Like 1

Steven's band is supposedly playing the Whiskey on April Fools day, I still am holding out hope that the other 4 will show up and the original line-up will play on their old stomping grounds. Advertising it as an Adler show when in reality it is GN'R would be the ultimate April Fools prank. If Izzy doesn't want to tour and they are worried about Steven staying on the wagon while touring, that would be the perfect opportunity to do something with the original line-up.

Edited by LikeADog93

I never warmed to Matt, I never enjoyed watching him so I'm fine if his not envoled. I havnt seen enough of Frank to give a real opion the guy seems a bit of a non entity (stage presence) and maybe that what's needed. A drummer who is capable playing the drums on all songs doesn't distract from the others. Then Steven comes out and does a slot within the show some AFD songs in a row and maybe comes out later for a encore song.

Steven is the only true GNR drummer. If Steven can't do it, Matt should be involved.

That is my stance. I would do this, factoring in the ephemeral nature of Adler's sobriety,

Best case scenario: Stephen on drums. Matt can have the odd guest spot, on say Estranged and November Rain.

Second best scenario: Matt drums. Stephen guests, on say Brownstone, Nightrain and Rocket Queen.

Third best scenario: Matt drums

Fourth best scenario: Frank drums. Steven and Matt guests as a sweetener

Fifth best scenario: Frank drums. Matt guests

Worst scenario: Frank drums. No old gnr drummer present!!

The nearer to the the top is the more preferable. So far, from our limited knowledge, they seem to be aiming for category four which would be a bit a disappointment albeit a disappointment tempered by the guest appearances.

• Like 1

Last I heard Frank is the drummer in GN'R. No reason to even contemplate alternatives.

Yeah a Guns N Roses reunion is being talked about and there's no reason to even contemplate alternatives to Frank as the drummer......No reason to contemplate alternatives to the least Guns n Roses drummer ever. Holy fuck. :lol:

Yeah a Guns N Roses reunion is being talked about and there's no reason to even contemplate alternatives to Frank as the drummer......No reason to contemplate alternatives to the least Guns n Roses drummer ever. Holy fuck. :lol:

The guy has been in Guns for a decade now, he's played hundreds of shows and done so more than adequately. I doubt most people would even notice the difference between any of them drumming. The only reason to have Adler present is like you say to promote the reunion angle even further, yet I somehow doubt that he'd put in a better performance than Ferrer at this point in his life.

The guy has been in Guns for a decade now, he's played hundreds of shows and done so more than adequately. I doubt most people would even notice the difference between any of them drumming. The only reason to have Adler present is like you say to promote the reunion angle even further, yet I somehow doubt that he'd put in a better performance than Ferrer at this point in his life.

:lol: yeah nobody will notice a difference between Frank, Matt or Steven. Some of you have done way too many drugs I think. I have to assume that because some of the absolute nonsense that gets spewed is of the charts insane. The way you tank Frank's 10 years in "Gn'R" is more important than Steven's 5 years or Matt's 5 years in GUNS N ROSES

• Like 1

Anyone who has ears can hear the difference between drummers, especially live. I have no hatred for frank as he seems laid back and chill, but out of all the drummers they have used live he sounds the worst. Give me Adler, sorum or brain tbh. Any of the other 3 are better sounding drummers for GNR.

• Like 1

:lol: yeah nobody will notice a difference between Frank, Matt or Steven. Some of you have done way too many drugs I think. I have to assume that because some of the absolute nonsense that gets spewed is of the charts insane. The way you tank Frank's 10 years in "Gn'R" is more important than Steven's 5 years or Matt's 5 years in GUNS N ROSES

You are correct, I meant to say nobody will notice any difference between Frank & Matt. Most people could probably tell when Adler loses it on stage. ;)

Personally I'd give it to Steven, because I'm big softy. But at the same time he's never done a huge stadium tour. Guest spot at Vegas. But I get it, if the drummer is off the whole thing goes to shit.

Matt can sure do the job. Maybe he doesn't have the finesse to do CD songs though.

Frank's main edge is that this isn't a reunion and he has played everything. He can do the CD material, he's ready to go. And if they are looking to do a new none nostalgia record he's perfect.

Seeing as Brain was the CD drummer. Frank seems like the new GNR drummer. He's earned his spurs.

Really depends what this is all about.

If it's just a conquer the US tour then it's Matt. Re-create the UYI tour. Drum solo, hair viscosity, the whole coke deal.

If it's a real reunion of the AFD line up that will keep touring through 2017 then Steven. Rekindling the chemistry. Live the romance.

If it's a line up with a future I'd go with Frank.

I'd solve it like this. Let Steven play the AFD songs and let Matt play everything else. If Steven can't hold it together then Matt plays everything. As for Frank....... sorry but take a hike, you're not needed or wanted.

How can they rotate drummers in the middle of a live show when songs are following one another. That's not needed. Frank's just fine. Just drama needed.

Personally I'd give it to Steven, because I'm big softy. But at the same time he's never done a huge stadium tour. Guest spot at Vegas. But I get it, if the drummer is off the whole thing goes to shit.

Matt can sure do the job. Maybe he doesn't have the finesse to do CD songs though.

Frank's main edge is that this isn't a reunion and he has played everything. He can do the CD material, he's ready to go. And if they are looking to do a new none nostalgia record he's perfect.

Seeing as Brain was the CD drummer. Frank seems like the new GNR drummer. He's earned his spurs.

Really depends what this is all about.

If it's just a conquer the US tour then it's Matt. Re-create the UYI tour. Drum solo, hair viscosity, the whole coke deal.

If it's a real reunion of the AFD line up that will keep touring through 2017 then Steven. Rekindling the chemistry. Live the romance.

If it's a line up with a future I'd go with Frank.

Ideally, I'd choose Steven and Brain. Alternate between those two, if two is all you can have. It's nearly not enough drummers for a band like Guns. You need at least 4 if you gonna play material from all the different incarnations.

But Steven is where it's at for me. It sounds the best with him to my ears. Civil War included. Josh and Frank came up with some great stuff for Chinese though.

Anyone who has ears can hear the difference between drummers, especially live. I have no hatred for frank as he seems laid back and chill, but out of all the drummers they have used live he sounds the worst. Give me Adler, sorum or brain tbh. Any of the other 3 are better sounding drummers for GNR.

100% agree. Frank seems like he would be a cool guy to hang with, but I just don't like him as a drummer, especially on the Appetite material. There's a fine line between putting your style into a song and just straight up ruining it, and Frank ruins the Brownstone intro every time and I also have never liked the way he plays It's So Easy. Only Steven should be allowed to play the Appetite songs!