Release some new music Axl...

I do agree with most of what you're saying, although it does make me happy I tuned out the band touring-wise all these years. In the new Guns years I saw them ONCE, and damn proud that was all it was. Cause now for me, I'm not dying for new music. I haven't heard these songs constantly live because I tuned this band out. New music would certainly be welcome, and it really should be a demand after a reunion tour, but for right now I'm fine to see the guys relive their glory years, especially if Axl sounds good.

Its sad to have had to turn my back on this band at some point, but in the end I do think it pays off for me now. I'm not completely bored with Axl going out and touring the same oldies every year because for the most part I didn't watch or pay attention that he did. He is definitely phoning it in, and Axl has wasted the 20 years, but as long as he doesn't continue to act that way while I'm back to paying attention to the band, I'll kind of be fine.

And as I've said for years now, new music is a pipe dream. It'd be great if Slash can kick his ass into gear about making some, but I've never once thought we'd be getting more than Chinese from Axl during these last 20 years. Honestly, I'm shocked we even got that much. But those asking for it, either based off Axl and the band's comments about new music, or just wanting it so so bad, were setting yourselves up for disappointment. Unfortunately, he really just didn't care enough to deliver. I'm hoping thats not the case now, and if it is then I'll probably check out again after the reunion.

• Like 2

I know he sure as shitburgers won't read my pissy little thread, but for heavens sake, what is wrong with Axl Rose? Just put out some new music. I really couldn't care less about a reunion, not one single fuck given. I have seen Axl Rose sing GNR songs numerous times, I don't need to see it again. More touring without new material is just phoning it in. He may think he's delivering what the fans want, but the truth is, he's kidding himself and making a mug of anyone still dumb enough to buy a GNR ticket in 2016. The inclusion of Slash and Duff makes the touring no more relevant than the pointless live shows and Vegas residencies in 2012-14.

Whether he likes it or not, music is Axl's one and only legacy and he's spent a good number of years doing everything and anything to avoid creating and releasing new work. I know he would turn round and say he doesn't owe anybody anything, well just fucking retire then. Stop whoring the GNR name on the road with bad karaoke performances, because that's all GNR has been doing for the last 5 years. No-one would ask or expect anything of Axl if he just announced his retirement. Keeping the band going for the sheer purpose of milking the back catalogue live is a dick move, lazy and disingenuous.

Plus I want $50

I want to give it to you, man. I really do.

None of us know about the politics that go into releasing a record. There are tons of managers,lawyers,accountants and executives included. It's not as simple as Axl snapping his fingers and boom! A new GNR record is in stores. Not even our GNR-insidersknow what their record contract calls for. If for the time being there is not going to be new music ,then touring with Slash and Duff is far from pointless. They may as well play the music we love with the people who wrote the songs. GNR are a legacy/heritage act. People are there to hear SCOM,PC,WTTJ,NR etc. Very few people want to hear Coma. Even less people want to hear Chi Dem or new material.

None of us know about the politics that go into releasing a record. There are tons of managers,lawyers,accountants and executives included. It's not as simple as Axl snapping his fingers and boom! A new GNR record is in stores. Not even our GNR-insidersknow what their record contract calls for. If for the time being there is not going to be new music ,then touring with Slash and Duff is far from pointless. They may as well play the music we love with the people who wrote the songs. GNR are a legacy/heritage act. People are there to hear SCOM,PC,WTTJ,NR etc. Very few people want to hear Coma. Even less people want to hear Chi Dem or new material.

More Axl-apologising bs. If an artist of his calibre wanted to put out a record then he would. Funny how industry politics don't seem to stop other veteran bands/artists from putting out new work.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

Your post was good. Even though I dislike CD I agree with you, new music would be interesting, to say the least.

But...

The inclusion of Slash and Duff makes the touring no more relevant than the pointless live shows and Vegas residencies in 2012-14.

With this part, I disagree completely. It IS relevant, or it wouldn't be headlining Coachella. Maybe not to you but 99% of the fans and music fans in general support the reunion. If GNR was a media-friendly band, this reunion would be a HOT topic right now.

In my opinion, Axl is done as an artist and sees himself more as an entertainer nowadays. I always felt a reunion would happen before a new album, simply because a new album will never ever happen, Axl is DONE.

And I don't know man... but, seeing Axl and Slash together again is much more valuable to the band's legacy than another Scraped, Rhiad, If the World, etc.

Being the big fan I am of Robin and Buckethead, it feels shitty to know there are probably good songs by them in some HD at Axl's house but the final versions would probably have DJ and Ron over them anyway. We're not missing out anything in the end. Let's celebrate the reunion of the guys who made GNR one of the coolest bands of this planet. :)

More Axl-apologising bs. If an artist of his calibre wanted to put out a record then he would. Funny how industry politics don't seem to stop other veteran bands or artists from putting out new work.

It has nothing to do with Axl apologizing. Please provide details of GNR's recording contract. It doesn't matter what band X does,I'd like to know specific details as it relates to GNR. Thanks. Do you dispute that GNR has reached legacy act status?

Also,I've purchased every GNR release on the day it came out beginning with the Illusions. I'd like a new album as much as the next guy but it makes no sense to just assume that Axl has 100% say over the release of an album. For all we know,Izzy ,Slash and Duff are working on new tunes now.

Edited by Subtle Signs

Your post was good. Even though I dislike CD I agree with you, new music would be interesting, to say the least.

But...

The inclusion of Slash and Duff makes the touring no more relevant than the pointless live shows and Vegas residencies in 2012-14.

With this part, I disagree completely. It IS relevant, or it wouldn't be headlining Coachella. Maybe not to you but 99% of the fans and music fans in general support the reunion. If GNR was a media-friendly band, this reunion would be a HOT topic right now.

In my opinion, Axl is done as an artist and sees himself more as an entertainer nowadays. I always felt a reunion would happen before a new album, simply because a new album will never ever happen, Axl is DONE.

And I don't know man... but, seeing Axl and Slash together again is much more valuable to the band's legacy than another Scraped, Rhiad, If the World, etc.

Being the big fan I am of Robin and Buckethead, it feels shitty to know there are probably good songs by them in some HD at Axl's house but the final versions would probably have DJ and Ron over them anyway. We're not missing out anything in the end. Let's celebrate the reunion of the guys who made GNR one of the coolest bands of this planet. :)

I agree, it seems Axl is done artistically. It's frustrating, but blatantly obvious at the same time.

As for the relevancy of the reunion, I just see it for what it is. Axl whored NuGNR for all it was worth, when ticket sales started to diminish and they started playing to half-empty arenas he decides to reunite with the old band, thus guaranteeing another five years of steady ticket sales in bigger venues, which leads him nice and comfortably up to his retirement.

I guess I just hope and wish for more from one of my favourite artists. I'm a massive Bowie fan, and the man made one of the best albums of his life when he was dying of terminal cancer. But I guess you hit the nail on the head about Axl being an entertainer these days. Bowie was an artist till the day he died, which is something Axl hasn't been for years.

More Axl-apologising bs. If an artist of his calibre wanted to put out a record then he would. Funny how industry politics don't seem to stop other veteran bands or artists from putting out new work.

It has nothing to do with Axl apologizing. Please provide details of GNR's recording contract. It doesn't matter what band X does,I'd like to know specific details as it relates to GNR. Thanks. Do you dispute that GNR has reached legacy act status?

Also,I've purchased every GNR release on the day it came out beginning with the Illusions. I'd like a new album as much as the next guy but it makes no sense to just assume that Axl has 100% say over the release of an album. For all we know,Izzy ,Slash and Duff are working on new tunes now.

No, I don't dispute GNR has reached legacy act status. But plenty of other bands and artists have back catalogues just as iconic and famous as GNRs and they still manage to put out new work. All I'm saying is, if Axl wanted it bad enough, it would've happened by now. He is clearly unmotivated by the prospect of recording and releasing new music.

Edited by Towelie

Yep. Bowie is an artist, a legend, one of the greatest. Axl is a rock singer from the 80s. He fooled himself into thinking he was more than that and some fans bought it too.

Your view on Axl is exactly as mine. Life getting in the way my Brazilian mulata ass! If Axl wanted, there would be more music released at this point.

• Like 3

I loves me some CD so I remain fine with the origin of whatever material may be released eventually. I'm still of the belief that we got the songs we did because the majority of it leaked prior. I still wonder what else was supposed to be on there or what else was recorded. None of that matters in the end though, or at least up to present day, because of Axl's apparent refusal to release new material.

I do agree with most of what you're saying, although it does make me happy I tuned out the band touring-wise all these years. In the new Guns years I saw them ONCE, and damn proud that was all it was. Cause now for me, I'm not dying for new music. I haven't heard these songs constantly live because I tuned this band out. New music would certainly be welcome, and it really should be a demand after a reunion tour, but for right now I'm fine to see the guys relive their glory years, especially if Axl sounds good.

Its sad to have had to turn my back on this band at some point, but in the end I do think it pays off for me now. I'm not completely bored with Axl going out and touring the same oldies every year because for the most part I didn't watch or pay attention that he did. He is definitely phoning it in, and Axl has wasted the 20 years, but as long as he doesn't continue to act that way while I'm back to paying attention to the band, I'll kind of be fine.

Yeah, I saw them in 2002 and it was very underwhelming. After that I stopped following NuGnR.. No one has seen Axl, Slash and Duff play these songs for 23 years.. I cannt wait to see all the classics played by these guys.. I don't give a rats ass what NuGnR has been playing all these years.. They couldn't do the songs any justice anyway..

I would love to hear new music, even more than a reunion or any touring. The fact is, for what ever reason, it is not happening. I still have some hope that maybe the chinese left overs will be put out and maybe by even some miracle, the reincarnated guns may spark some creativity and spawn some new music. I've followed this band from the beginning and I think people forget they have always been completely dysfunctional. The record co wanted to get appetite out before the band broke apart. They have never been stable and the creativity was mostly in the beginning of their career. If you really dig into it most of the songs that have become legends were all done before appetite was released including: Don't Cry, November Rain, You could be mine, Patience, and a few more. This band quit being creative a looooong time ago. They still have the talent, and as a fan, that's what I'd really like to see, just not holding my breath anymore. With that said, I'm still going to see them in Vegas and looking forward to hearing them again, since this may be the last hurrah.

Would you be happy that instead of finishing with Paradise City at Coachella, they brought out Tommy Stinson to sing Going Down instead?

In all seriousness, had you offered me new music or a reunion, I'd have taken new music every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Some people who closely followed nuGNR will be jaded, but the vast majority of GNR fans are in the same boat.

Russ will win his bet. I don't believe that Axl is lazy or doesn't care, he has problems that the GNR camp hides imo. Plus what Signs said is not excuses, it's reality. Regardless, I think a corner has been turned.

You just know in your heart that this reunion tour will derail new material for another x number of years. There are people

5 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

None of us know about the politics that go into releasing a record. There are tons of managers,lawyers,accountants and executives included. It's not as simple as Axl snapping his fingers and boom! A new GNR record is in stores. Not even our GNR-insiders(TM)know what their record contract calls for. If for the time being there is not going to be new music ,then touring with Slash and Duff is far from pointless. They may as well play the music we love with the people who wrote the songs. GNR are a legacy/heritage act. People are there to hear SCOM,PC,WTTJ,NR etc. Very few people want to hear Coma. Even less people want to hear Chi Dem or new material.

More Axl-apologising bs. If an artist of his calibre wanted to put out a record then he would. Funny how industry politics don't seem to stop other veteran bands or artists from putting out new work.

Legacy Act status haha. I both love and hate that term at the same time. But you do know that the stones are the very definition of 'legacy act' yet they have released two new songs in 2012 and a plethora of archival releases recently. Keith has released a little gem of a solo album, and there are mutterings of another new Stones album which you know in your heart will be released before anything by Axl.

9 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

None of us know about the politics that go into releasing a record. There are tons of managers,lawyers,accountants and executives included. It's not as simple as Axl snapping his fingers and boom! A new GNR record is in stores. Not even our GNR-insiders(TM)know what their record contract calls for. If for the time being there is not going to be new music ,then touring with Slash and Duff is far from pointless. They may as well play the music we love with the people who wrote the songs. GNR are a legacy/heritage act. People are there to hear SCOM,PC,WTTJ,NR etc. Very few people want to hear Coma. Even less people want to hear Chi Dem or new material.

It's not easy to release an album, and you do have to jump through hoops so to speak, to get things released... but EVERY! other band out there has managed to do so. Some of these bands are smaller, some the same size or bigger, and they all find a way to get new music out. I don't buy the idea that a label in 2012-2014 would not have wanted a guns record. The first weeks sales on a gnr record is enough of a reason for them to want to put the record out, and it could've easily sold 1million or more just with the hardcores, and whoever picks it up by chance. Axl, GnR Management etc. either had no interest in putting out new music or they made it so difficult for the label, that the label had no choice but to halt negotiations (and that's IF Gnr ever sent in a 2nd CD album).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

It's not easy to release an album, and you do have to jump through hoops so to speak, to get things released... but EVERY! other band out there has managed to do so. Some of these bands are smaller, some the same size or bigger, and they all find a way to get new music out. I don't buy the idea that a label in 2012-2014 would not have wanted a guns record. The first weeks sales on a gnr record is enough of a reason for them to want to put the record out, and it could've easily sold 1million or more just with the hardcores, and whoever picks it up by chance. Axl, GnR Management etc. either had no interest in putting out new music or they made it so difficult for the label, that the label had no choice but to halt negotiations (and that's IF Gnr ever sent in a 2nd CD album).

Amen. Stones are gearing up as are Metallica. Sabbath released 13 despite litigation. Van Halen different truth. Kiss have released two albums in a quite concentrated time frame. Neil Young releases an album (a year as does Slash). Axl is truly unique in his laziness. Heck, Michael Jackson, Hendrix and Elvis have all released albums recently and they are brown bread; corpses are literally more prolific than W. Axl Rose!!

You could argue that, for the record industry going tits up, it is surprising how many bands still release albums regularly yet they still do it and god bless them for that. Let's hope it continues. 

Exactly how I feel, I want the sequel tracks I don't really care about a reunion although yes it's pretty interesting news but I want new music from axl... yes it's pretty phenomenal if we get new tracks and Slash and Duff on them, but I'd have been happy with Bumblefoot and Fortus, even Ashba here and there and some leftover Bucket and Finck stuff. I hope to hell he hasn't just shelved those songs and he releases an ep or reworks them or whatever.

I think it's possible with Slash & Duff back, and Izzy very possibly behind the scenes, that Axl wouldn't  feel like the total weight of a new release was all on him. He must respect their abilities and knows they have the same pride in Guns that he does. (Unlike maybe Tommy "I'm too cool for Guns so fuck you" Stinson, or DJ "Buy my Beanies" Ashba, who maybe were just in it for themselves all along). No possible way to step into Axls World and read his mind, but maybe he's tired of running the entire thing and feels like they can help shoulder the load...

It wouldn't seem too hard to please almost everybody. Work over Axls best song from the vault, one from Duff, one from Slash, one from Izzy, one cover- bam! Awesome EP kicks the world in the balls...

A guy can dream, can't he?

Let's hope Alan Niven wasn't completely trolling us when he said Izzy was writing with the  3 "reunited". If he was, or was possibly just mistaken; he's raised a lot of peoples expectations for this get together. We all now that Izzy and Duff were recently working together; but, I think we're all pretty confident that those songs were for Izzy solo, plus they had Jerry cantrell and some others too, so that's almost certainly not GnR material. It could be a case of Izzy saying to Niven "I was recording new material with Duff the other day" Niven thinks "2+2 = 3". 

The majority here would love new music, there's a small chance of it happening, let's hope it does; but keep the expectations at a reasonable level. Just because Slash and Duff are home, doesn't change the facts that the last 20 years happened, and under Axl's watch the band released 1 album and keep 20/30 (a reported figure, obviously never verified) supposedly releasable songs hostage.

I see no reason why Axl's circumstances, or reasoning would have changed dramatically enough, that he'd now (after all this time) fell like releasing music - again, the music he created, and strongly believed in over the past 20yrs? where is it? no signs on the horizon (obviously not talking about CD) that he's doing anything with it. I think Slash will busy himself with his solo stuff, same with Duff and they won't really mind too much that Guns just wheel out for the summer tours, they'll have their creative output elsewhere. 

The more I follow this band, the more I agree with what Bumblefoot said 'just enjoy what you get', even if it is more endless touring. The alternative is to switch off, and follow an active band... which is a pity, because even now Axl is still a great singer, especially in the studio, and he definitely has music to offer that fans want to hear (not even talking about the fabled CD II material).