I like Riad N The Bedouins. There I said it.

It's a weird song. Once I gave it a real chance it grew on me some.

If you can imagine a rawer version of Riad, Oh My God, early CITR and IRS demos, a studio Silk Worms, that's the sound CD was meant to have.

Song wouldve been better with a better intro (drums that build up then explode w/ a intro solo. YCBM esque) and without the "ahhhh ahh ahhhhhh"'s. The chorus is cool, the 1st verse is decently solid, the 2nd verse lacks power in the vox so it doesnt sound as great. The end of the solo section (the instrumentation & drums) flows more well into the chorus more than the other verses do.

57 minutes ago, Archtop said:

I've never heard it, I will go find it and get back to you. 

I have just listened to the album version twice, it's not that awful but it's not good. The drums get me, they are to clean. I want it to be raw and hear real drums so I listened to three different live versions, kind of wished I hadn't.

It's going on the I listened to it, and hope  I don't have to again pile.

6 hours ago, pbj_jam said:

Like with most of CD, I've grown to love this song, cool mix of old and new, Bucket shines.

A song I would love to see live, though that's not gonna happen.

I saw/heard it live back in 2002ish and it was awesome. The Blues was also a highlight. 

They did Madagascar, with Axl calling it Mad At Nas Car. 

5 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

Song is demented, song structure is shit, intro stoled from another artist (not payin' royalties to the original artist is theft)

The band had to wear stoles?

I like the song but it doesn't fit as well with the rest of CD. It feels like it's amongst the older tracks on the album judging by Axl's singing. I wonder how many versions of the song exist before BBF played on it. I like the more restrained sound on the demo version compared to the album cut, but the solo is definitely much better on the album. I don't know why they added that intro as the song works better without. Listening to CD there are a lot of parts that they could have just left off and make the songs tighter.

A stale turd of a song staining the already mediocre standard of Chinese Democracy. The guitar solo starts off well but then descends into the weird noisy nonsense that litters this album.  He should have steered the whole album more towards TWAT style songs on CD as he did a great job on that one. And not called it a Guns N' Roses record. 

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

No way, that award goes to Scraped everytime.

At least Scraped is original sounding, Riad is a poor man's Immigrant Song. But it doesn't come ANYWHERE near Immigrant. I appreciate Axl for trying to capture the spirit of Zeppelin on tracks like Riad, Maddy, and if the world. But Maddy is the only one that stands on its own feet imo, the other two just feel like half baked versions of Immigrant Song and Dyer Maker.

But having said that, I don't hate the songs, honestly I don't HATE any of the songs on CD. But the only times I actually choose to listen to some of the tracks are when I'm listening to them in vinyl. Which I find things to enjoy about them.

Even though I dislike NUmetal, Shacklers is my favorite "rocker" from that album. It has an OMG vibe to it that I dig.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

24 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

At least Scraped is original sounding, Riad is a poor man's Immigrant Song. But it doesn't come ANYWHERE near Immigrant. I appreciate Axl for trying to capture the spirit of Zeppelin on tracks like Riad, Maddy, and if the world. But Maddy is the only one that stands on its own feet imo, the other two just feel like half baked versions of Immigrant Song and Dyer Maker.

But having said that, I don't hate the songs, honestly I don't HATE any of the songs on CD. But the only times I actually choose to listen to some of the tracks are when I'm listening to them in vinyl. Which I find things to enjoy about them.

Even though I dislike NUmetal, Shacklers is my favorite "rocker" from that album. It has an OMG vibe to it that I dig.

Shacklers is great. I don't really think it's nu-metal, except for the intro. It's just a solid rock song. I think it'd be a lot more popular around here if it had slightly different production, but I personally love it as it is.

I know it'd never happen, but I'd love to hear a 2016-era version with Slash and Duff. Would be interesting to see how Slash would interpret Ron's guitar work.

21 hours ago, James Bond said:

It's funny that many of us on the forum hated on it for years, but it was the one that kept coming up as a critic favourite when the reviews started rolling in just before the album finally came out. Of the songs that sounded closer to the old Guns sound, somehow it was Riad that stood out to critics. I didn't care for the 2001 live versions but I grew to love the album version. The riffs are really great. It's the prime example of a song that was overproduced. Those riffs could have sounded so much meaner with rawer production.

I think a lot of people were just looking for the old band. They werent following the project. So going theough the album they wanted to hear the old Axl. There was more UYIish tracks and confirmation of Axl Excess. Riad is some rant n roll. 

• Like 1