I like Riad N The Bedouins. There I said it.

Previously I had always dismissed this as being part of the triple deck shit sandwich on CD, with If The World and Scraped. But I quite like it now. Like a derranged Immigrant Song. Who knows, perhaps I will start a thread next exploring the finer points of Scraped?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Previously I had always dismissed this as being part of the triple deck shit sandwich on CD, with If The World and Scraped. But I quite like it now. Like a derranged Immigrant Song. Who knows, perhaps I will start a thread next exploring the finer points of Scraped?

My first experience with Riad was hearing it live in 2002. It was freakin' awful live if I'm being honest. Because of that night, I never had any interest whatsoever in hearing it again. When the leak happened, I listened to it once of twice but didn't hear anything I liked. When CD finally came out, the song grew on me really on me. 

• Like 1

It is horrid. Among silky worms it is the only song I consider horrid from the nu-GnR era. But ok ok, unlike silky worms, the songs has some ok bits in it, but it is painful to listen and the album version sounds like it is copy-paste-cut-cut-cut-copy-paste-paste-paste-cut take of things.

It's funny that many of us on the forum hated on it for years, but it was the one that kept coming up as a critic favourite when the reviews started rolling in just before the album finally came out. Of the songs that sounded closer to the old Guns sound, somehow it was Riad that stood out to critics. I didn't care for the 2001 live versions but I grew to love the album version. The riffs are really great. It's the prime example of a song that was overproduced. Those riffs could have sounded so much meaner with rawer production.

1 hour ago, Teroz said:

It is horrid. Among silky worms it is the only song I consider horrid from the nu-GnR era. But ok ok, unlike silky worms, the songs has some ok bits in it, but it is painful to listen and the album version sounds like it is copy-paste-cut-cut-cut-copy-paste-paste-paste-cut take of things.

Yeah I think its where the copy-pasteiness of CD is at its most noticeable, also Pitman's plagiarism at the start

33 minutes ago, maynard said:

Instrumental is OK but man, those vocals and lyrics. Lol at the stolen intro too. 

I think IRS is the song that is really ruined by horrid lyrics. It could have been a nice little rock hit - but the lyrics are sooooo bad. 

1 hour ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

I happen to like it, warts and all.

I was lucky enough to see one of the first (and last) live performances of it in August '02.

OMG!!!!!!

Eddy Money and Nikki Sixx are posting here. The power of the Big Three and TB is amazing. 

• Like 1

I like the majority of the songs on CD but Riad is near the bottom of that album for me

Probably how I'd rank the songs

CITR

Better

Madagascar

Street of Dreams

Prostitute

There Was A Time

IRS

Chinese Democracy

This I Love (when I'm in the mood for this song, I rank it higher)

If The World

Sorry

Riad N' The Bedouins

Shackler's Revenge

Scraped

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

Just now, Strange Broue said:

Nah

Izzy wrote some new songs , he will play on some dates  in this year, then join full time in 2017 for the European tour

I would imagine but you never know. Duff liked playing the Chinese songs so you never know, knowing slash it wouldn't surprise me if they rehearse them just for kicks but who knows if they play them or not. New material would be cool though, even if it's only a couple of songs. 

Actually it was one of my favorite tracks in CD when I first heard it. Loved it from start to finish from the very first listen. Something I can't say about many other GN'R songs.

Loved Ron's take on the solo and wish it would have been played live during 06 or anytime after that.