Def Leppard's Phil Collen: ‘Guns N’ Roses reunion? It’s really f****** lame’

11 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

I thought it was mighty cheeky of the Telegraph to use only Def Leppard's name in the slander of GN'R and not just Phil Collen. This is especially because it was only the other week when Joe Elliot was quoted saying how he's looking forward to it!

They used the band name because hardly anyone knows who he is....total nobody.

3 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

Will this lead to people bashing Def Leppard on here even though Phil said he loves GNR? Everyone is entitled to their opinion ,Phil's just might carry a bit more weight since he's a very successful musician. Please don't say he's doing this for publicity. It was a long article and I doubt he brought up GNR on his own,I'm sure he was asked.

Exactly. 

But before reading the rest of this topic I'm 100% certain that most of the responses will be that Def Leppard sucks and nobody cares what they say. 

Everything he says about GnR is true. 

And DL was popular years before GnR were, have released absolutely huge albums and songs, and will still be touring and releasing news music after the GnR "regrouping" ends. 

But hey. Even though he said he loves GnR music he also said something negative about them - so we all must bash his band. Smh. 

Phil Collen is a complete bad ass on the guitar and Def Lep has some pretty great tunes. Dude is more than welcome to his opinion and it's not like what he said isn't true. If I were him, I'd be bummed that the headline is clickbait BS like "Phil Collen Think GN'R Reunion Is Lame" and not something worth while focused on anything to do with Def Lep.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yet Def Leppard have released six albums to Axl's one since the early '90s, so who is the bigger wanker?

GnR fans often make me embarrassed to admit to being a GnR fan. 

Phil said he loved GnR and their music. But because he thinks the regrouping is lame and the band breaking up is lame - that means his band sucks, he is a nobody and   We all must hate his band. 

GnR fans also can't separate their like or dislike of a band's music from whether or not that band is or was successful. I can't stand Motörhead music, but I fully understand their legacy and importance to hard rock music. I don't partially like anything Def Leppard has done since their first three albums - but to dismiss their career simply because I don't like them? Lol, that's just extremely immature. 

Like you said. At least they stayed together and release albums for their fans to enjoy. Can't say the same about Axl and GnR. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

In that same magazine there is a 'for' and 'against' column on the reunion and I have to say, the against makes a lot of good points, e.g. soulless cash-grabbing and Stradlin being the beating heart of Guns.

I like Izzy a lot.  And Guns N' Roses wouldn't have really existed without him....at the very least, they would have been a different band but to say he's the "beating heart" of the band is a gross exaggeration, imo.  He helped write a ton of the original songs and with out him, they wouldn't of existed but when it comes stage presence, playing live, etc.....(which imo is what really made G N' R great) he was one of 5....and honestly, out of the 5, he was behind Axl and Slash...on par with Duff and Adler/Sorum when it came to playing live/stage presence.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Edited by Kasanova King

Collen should focus his energy on coming up with something as good as High N' Dry. Pete Willis was the heart of Leppard. They have released material that caters to Britny Fox fans since his inclusion in the band. They don't deserve to charge high ticket prices for their 'third division bon jovi' pop rock that they've been churning out since Willis's songwriting skills were disregarded.

Edited by sonofnazareth

12 minutes ago, Apollo said:

At least they stayed together and release albums for their fans to enjoy. Can't say the same about Axl and GnR. 

I don't believe staying together is that good of a thing in rock and roll. It leads to staleness. Look at AC/DC. Same damn music released over and over. Leppard is similar. I'm against the GN'R reunion simply because it's impossible to recreate the lightning bolt of electricity that they were in the late 1980's.

1 hour ago, Estranged1 said:

They used the band name because hardly anyone knows who he is....total nobody.

Lol - no. 

People born in the 90s might not know who he is. But anybody who has the slightest knowledge of rock history knows who he is. 

Guy has been a professional guitar player for 30 years, has made millions and played on an album that sold over 20 million copies.  If that is a nobody in your world I would hate to see your requirements for a musician to be a somebody. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, darknightfan said:

What's lame is the band kind of reuniting and not saying shit about it except listing dates and members posting a picture of a old fucking logo.

Exactly. 

Don't forget not even telling you who all is in the band. 

Edited by Apollo

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Phil Collen is a complete bad ass on the guitar and Def Lep has some pretty great tunes. Dude is more than welcome to his opinion and it's not like what he said isn't true. If I were him, I'd be bummed that the headline is clickbait BS like "Phil Collen Think GN'R Reunion Is Lame" and not something worth while focused on anything to do with Def Lep.

Exactly. 

I think a lot of posters didn't even read everything Collen said. 

Somebody actually said DL was catering to Britney Fox fans. And other said it was bad for bands to stay together and release music. Smh. What intelligent response can you reply with to statements like that? It's like a twelve year old telling you New Direction is a better band than The Beatles. You just have to smile, shake your head and walk away. 

1 hour ago, sonofnazareth said:

Collen should focus his energy on coming up with something as good as High N' Dry. Pete Willis was the heart of Leppard.

Steve Clarke more so. I'll give Phil Collen his part in Hysteria but it would have been better for Def Leppard to split up after that because they have been absolute shite ever since and they don't even try not to be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Exactly. 

I think a lot of posters didn't even read everything Collen said. 

Somebody actually said DL was catering to Britney Fox fans. And other said it was bad for bands to stay together and release music. Smh. What intelligent response can you reply with to statements like that? It's like a twelve year old telling you New Direction is a better band than The Beatles. You just have to smile, shake your head and walk away. 

Mock my logic all you want, but I think part of the reason The Beatles and Led Zeppelin's reputation is stronger than some of their peers (who also made great music) is that they didn't hang on and keep pumping out mediocre stuff way after their prime. GN'R benefits from this compared to some of their peers from the 80's rock scene. I wish Axl as a solo artist put out more material because he is a talented singer, but I don't think the breakup of the band hurt their legacy.

3 hours ago, downzy said:

Says the guy who puts Def Leppard at the same level as the Beatles.  

Who really gives a shit what the motivation is why bands reunite.  Accept or do not.  How many f'n nostalgia tours does Def Leppard do on a continual basis?  You'll excuse me if money wasn't the main motivation for what most of what Def Leppard does, regardless of whether they're together or not.

And yes, I really hate Def Leppard.  One of the worst bands to come out of the 80s.  

I'm tired of the money angle too.  Whether you realize it or not, you hit the nail on the head.  Money IS the main reason and motivation for EVERYTHING ANYONE does.   I want a new car... house... clothes... I have to make money.  So it motivates me to go to school and learn a trade to get a job that's going to pay well so I can afford that. 

I'm certainly not going to go to work and do my job for free... and I'll volunteer my time and talent from time to time for a good cause.  But we all have to make money, and we're going to do what we can to earn it so we can have nice things.  For some people, like Axl, Duff and Slash, it's going to come very easily.  More power to them. 

Def Leopard isn't performing regularly for free, last time I checked.  So this clown is calling the kettle black.  GNR's just going to make up for lost time with their big pay day this year.  

The world revolves around money.  That's just the way it is.

Def Leppard are not one of my favourite bands, but I have the greatest hit and I've seen them live. They have some great songs, and they are as tight as it gets live #notrickery 

He's right, it is lame to get back together for the money. Hopefully there's more than just money for GnR.

I doubt anyone in GnR is getting bent out of shape over this. I also doubt that he brought up GnR, the interviewer did and Phil is entitled to give his opinion.