Def Leppard's Phil Collen: ‘Guns N’ Roses reunion? It’s really f****** lame’

46 minutes ago, Matt13 said:

I'm tired of the money angle too.  Whether you realize it or not, you hit the nail on the head.  Money IS the main reason and motivation for EVERYTHING ANYONE does.   I want a new car... house... clothes... I have to make money.  So it motivates me to go to school and learn a trade to get a job that's going to pay well so I can afford that. 

I'm certainly not going to go to work and do my job for free... and I'll volunteer my time and talent from time to time for a good cause.  But we all have to make money, and we're going to do what we can to earn it so we can have nice things.  For some people, like Axl, Duff and Slash, it's going to come very easily.  More power to them. 

Def Leopard isn't performing regularly for free, last time I checked.  So this clown is calling the kettle black.  GNR's just going to make up for lost time with their big pay day this year.  

The world revolves around money.  That's just the way it is.

I do not agree in the slightest.

Listening to one millionaire musician complain about the financial motivations of another millionaire musician is like Justin Beiber labeling someone else a douchebag.  

If DL wasn't motivated by money, my wife wouldn't have spent $70 for lawn tickets at their last Toronto show (she's a fan, so she buys DL tickets when they come to town, I buy GNR tickets when they tour).  

Sorry, I just really hate DL.  Carry on... 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Vic Sage said:

Every review I've ever read about their shows is how it seems they are just going through the motions.I'll give DF credit they do release new songs but their sound hasn't changed since 88.

Because they've been releasing the same song since 1982.  Same tempo, almost always the same three chord progression, the same lyrical depth that asks biting questions like do you take sugar, and if you do, one lump or two?  I feel like DL songs are like signature looks of Zoolander; they're the same damn thing.  

Sorry, I just really hate DL...  The Nickelback of the 1980s.  

• Like 1

I can see that from bands slogging it out. Then Guns play the reunion card.

Don't hate the players hate the game. 

But for the fans what's the difference?

although it feels a bit empty. It's like fame and money ruined our band now let's make more money because were friends again. 

But just for the excitement of the shows it's great. 

"We obviously think it’s really f****** lame. I love Guns N’ Roses, I think they’re really cool, I’d love to see Slash and Axl and Duff play together, that’s great. But I think it’s f****** lame considering we’ve been hardcore,” he snarls. “Our integrity’s still intact, we’ve never split up. We’ve gone through if someone had a little sniffle or something, we soldier on.”

I am sorry, but this is just a very weird quote no matter how I look at it. He'd love to see Slash, Axl, and Duff play together, but it is really lame that they are going to play together? ...and what does that have to do with how hardcore DL has been?

It is also kind of weird how a sizable article about someone's views on the industry and how his band relates to it was headlined as a generic click bait: Person/organization  disses other person/organization.

Def Leppard fans walked into a store in 2015 and purchased an album by Def Leppard.  Who has the happier fan base?

I dislike their music by the way but I am not going to let my own subjective opinion invalidate the fact that Collen has an opinion on the Guns reunion, and that his band are liked by many and are seen as very successful.

My opinion is that majority of musician are in it for the money ( have no problem with it) at the end of the day but most say differently as its not really cool to splash the cash these days like they did in the  70s/80s  as look at some of the hate for kiss! Metallica! Noel Gallagher! All bands are going to change, 1st album is about trying to make it then when they do, they experience totally different life experiences. Look at most Pop punk bands in the early 00s, it starts getting kinda sad when 40 year old men with kids and wife are still trying to act like  a 18 year old college kids  and against the "MAN" 

I don't expect it will be anything near as exciting as the 80s when they 1st came but it will be iconic to see Axl and Slash on the same stage once more.

Edited by SSHGUNS

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Def Leppard fans walked into a store in 2015 and purchased an album by Def Leppard.  Who has the happier fan base?

GNR fans. Having no new album is better than having the new Def Leppard album.

They said they went into the studio to write two or three songs for something and came out with an entire album's worth. Wrong!

He has a point. Looking at 90's -version of Guns, they can come of as crybabies. And as much as I love this reunion (or regrouping), it's a bit sad how money-centered this all seems to be. New music from Axl, Duff and Slash would be great! This would feel less cash-grabby then.

Guns have much better songs than Def Leppard, though.

Edited by jekylhyde

14 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

How is it not super obvious that he is jealous of the money? He even says it right afterwards. He thinks it's lame they get that much money, while his band has been "hardcore" about playing and stuff and apparently doesn't get that (obviously). 

Def Leppard has always been shit. That's just a normal opinion, nothing to do with this article.

i really dislike def leppard but:

i doubt the guys in def leppard are hurting for money. 

as for having to overcome difficulties, def leppard had a drummer who lost his arm, a lead guitarist who drank himself out of the band, one that drank himself to death, and another that has cancer. gnr difficulties pale in comparison, which basically boils down to we made a shit ton of money became a bunch of pussies whose feeling got hurt and derailed the band for almost 30 years.

No one's exactly clamoring for Phil Lewis (of LA Guns, funny enough) and Phil Collen to do a Girl reunion but if they had been more "influential" where someone went "you stand to make millions doing a reunion tour" like what happened with Stinson... how fast would Phil be out of Def Leppard? 

Loyalties are with the money trail. Once you sign any contract where you don't own your masters and publishing, you've "sold out".

Def Leppard re-recorded a bunch of their hits, and it wasn't because they thought Mutt Lange's production blew. 

• Like 1

I have much respect for the history of DL, although I never really dig their sound.

But the man saying that they're more special than any other band just because of the tragic stuff? Now that's lame IMHO.

12 hours ago, Matt13 said:

I'm tired of the money angle too.  Whether you realize it or not, you hit the nail on the head.  Money IS the main reason and motivation for EVERYTHING ANYONE does.   I want a new car... house... clothes... I have to make money.  So it motivates me to go to school and learn a trade to get a job that's going to pay well so I can afford that. 

I'm certainly not going to go to work and do my job for free... and I'll volunteer my time and talent from time to time for a good cause.  But we all have to make money, and we're going to do what we can to earn it so we can have nice things.  For some people, like Axl, Duff and Slash, it's going to come very easily.  More power to them. 

Def Leopard isn't performing regularly for free, last time I checked.  So this clown is calling the kettle black.  GNR's just going to make up for lost time with their big pay day this year.  

The world revolves around money.  That's just the way it is.

and THIS. ;)

Remember when (Jon) Bon Jovi got his panties in a twist that everyone was paying attention to Axl in early 2006? This sounds similar, except a decade later. 

You've been "fucking hardcore" because you stayed together all this time? The last time Def Leppard was relevant, in any real sense, was when the original GnR was together. That makes it even more pathetic :lol:

5 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

GNR fans. Having no new album is better than having the new Def Leppard album.

They said they went into the studio to write two or three songs for something and came out with an entire album's worth. Wrong!

Subjective.

20 hours ago, Towelie said:

Def Leppards entire career is fucking lame.

See? This kind of reaction could be expected from GNR fans in forums

Judging the band, not the actual topic or what he said...

This is why i think the majority of GNR's fanbase sucks ass too

i'm just glad that the first two posts admit that he has got a point

“Someone dies, someone loses an arm, someone gets cancer, we soldier on. [With Guns N’ Roses] if someone has a little barney backstage, they can’t deal with each other. I know it’s difficult, but I do think it’s pretty lame when you compare anyone else to us.”

This is 100% true and sad

P.S. Def Leppard sucks ass and always sucked

Edited by Strange Broue

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I dislike their music by the way but I am not going to let my own subjective opinion invalidate the fact that Collen has an opinion on the Guns reunion, and that his band are liked by many and are seen as very successful.

As an original Def Leppard fan, I am terribly disappointed with their new 'music'. They have not released a great album since 1981's, 'High N' Dry' and a good one since 1983's 'Pyromania'. Philomena Collen needs to shut up because he's not even an original Leppard member. Pete Willis started the band and wrote their best songs..after he left Leppard turned into a third division bon jovi act. I am proud to say that there was once a time (1980-1981) when Leppard could have given the original GNR a run for their money. 

Check out On Through The Night and High N' Dry..now THAT was Def Leppard. 

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Edited by sonofnazareth