Def Leppard's Phil Collen: ‘Guns N’ Roses reunion? It’s really f****** lame’

Just now, sonofnazareth said:

As an original Def Leppard fan, I am terribly disappointed with their new 'music'. They have not released a great album since 1981's, 'High N' Dry'. Philomena Collen needs to shut up because he's not even an original Leppard member. Pete Willis started the band and wrote their best songs..after he left Leppard turned into a third division bon jovi act. I am proud to say that there was once a time (1980-1981) when Leppard could have given the original GNR a run for their money. 

Check out On Through The Night and High N' Dry..now THAT was Def Leppard. 

At least you have the choice to be disappointed with their new music.

1 hour ago, sonofnazareth said:

As an original Def Leppard fan, I am terribly disappointed with their new 'music'. They have not released a great album since 1981's, 'High N' Dry' and a good one since 1983's 'Pyromania'. Philomena Collen needs to shut up because he's not even an original Leppard member. Pete Willis started the band and wrote their best songs..after he left Leppard turned into a third division bon jovi act. I am proud to say that there was once a time (1980-1981) when Leppard could have given the original GNR a run for their money. 

Check out On Through The Night and High N' Dry..now THAT was Def Leppard. 

I don't agree that early Def Leppard gave the original GNR a run for their money, but definitely agree with you those first albums were stellar. High N Dry is no doubt their best album to me. Pyromania was pretty good for the direction they were headed. After that....  I lost interest. 

I Agree with him.

what this reunion means?
that Axl, Duff and Slash failed to give as wide apart.
It is really a shame, and goes against everything they said about a meeting.

really I wanted the new gnr had achieved success and released more material.
miss bucket.

16 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

I am sorry, but this is just a very weird quote no matter how I look at it. He'd love to see Slash, Axl, and Duff play together, but it is really lame that they are going to play together? ...and what does that have to do with how hardcore DL has been?

It is also kind of weird how a sizable article about someone's views on the industry and how his band relates to it was headlined as a generic click bait: Person/organization  disses other person/organization.

It's like the quote is in response to an entirely different question. Like he was asked about GNR splitting up for 20 years up or something, so he then says it's lame, he likes them and everything, but it's lame because DL have held it together and are hardcore. The journalist has then spun this into Phil saying the reunion is lame. Partly by using those other quotes about the state of the industry. The whole section on GNR seems cobbled together for clickbait, so I give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

Especially after what happened to Tyler. GNR are topical right now, so they'll be used for headlines.

As others have mentioned, a bit of a spin on this headline...

The one thing he seems to be doing that is not cool is comparing Def Leppard to GnR, ie, 'we kept it together, why couldn't they?' It actually IS admirable that DL has kept going with all the adversity they have faced, but you can't compare one band's situation to another's that way. Different people, different personalities, different perspectives and interpersonal relationships. 

On 2/3/2016 at 9:53 PM, RussTCB said:

Phil Collen is a complete bad ass on the guitar and Def Lep has some pretty great tunes. Dude is more than welcome to his opinion and it's not like what he said isn't true. If I were him, I'd be bummed that the headline is clickbait BS like "Phil Collen Think GN'R Reunion Is Lame" and not something worth while focused on anything to do with Def Lep.

I liked him in Genesis but his solo stuff is a bit safe. I think he's gone deaf now though.

• Like 3

I mean, he's sorta right.

I don't feel this is necessary to clarify, as it has nothing to do with his statement, but I also do not care for Def Leppard's music.

I guess my issue with his statement though, is that he harps on bands for breaking up, while Def Leppard has stayed together all these years, which is neat, and props to them, but different people have different personalities and sometimes it doesn't work out. By saying 'We stayed together, thus it is cheap whenever bands reunite for money' he's making a really broad assumption about the conditions in which other bands have broken up and gotten back together.

Sure, it looks as though the $$$$ is the big factor that got Slash, Axl, and Duff back together, but it's still uncertain at this point. And even if that was the case, the motivations for the reunion mean literally nothing to me. I couldn't care less if Slash and Axl still hate each other and want a quick paycheck, it's still a nice thing to do given all the new fans that GNR as accumulated who haven't gotten to see the original members together. I don't really expect their to be a lot of moral integrity coming from GNR or Def Leppard for that matter.

I mean, I'm happy that they(Def Leppard) have stayed together, and I could see how the reunion could be a little lame to some fans, but I don't think it really matters either. His phrasing comes off as a little bitter too, for some reason.

Edited by Dan H.

22 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

I mean, he's sorta right.

I don't feel this is necessary to clarify, as it has nothing to do with his statement, but I also do not care for Def Leppard's music.

I guess my issue with his statement though, is that he harps on bands for breaking up, while Def Leppard has stayed together all these years, which is neat, and props to them, but different people have different personalities and sometimes it doesn't work out. By saying 'We stayed together, thus it is cheap whenever bands reunite for money' he's making a really broad assumption about the conditions in which other bands have broken up and gotten back together.

Sure, it looks as though the $$$$ is the big factor that got Slash, Axl, and Duff back together, but it's still uncertain at this point. And even if that was the case, the motivations for the reunion mean literally nothing to me. I couldn't care less if Slash and Axl still hate each other and want a quick paycheck, it's still a nice thing to do given all the new fans that GNR as accumulated who haven't gotten to see the original members together. I don't really expect their to be a lot of moral integrity coming from GNR or Def Leppard for that matter.

I mean, I'm happy that they(Def Leppard) have stayed together, and I could see how the reunion could be a little lame to some fans, but I don't think it really matters either. His phrasing comes off as a little bitter too, for some reason.

I agree. His thing about staying together and grinding on for decade upon decade is fine for bands like Def Leppard or Motorhead who get a sort of perverse pleasure in tough in it out. Don't get me wrong I get that and respect them for it, I think Slash is also of that mould.

But for me it's about the periods of brilliance not the length of time a band stuck it out. For example, and good for them that there are still concerts in 2016 but give me Metallica condensed into 1983-1988 and you can pretty much keep the rest. It would mean I never got to see them but it's not all about me :lol:

5 hours ago, Dan H. said:

I

I agree with this. It's been rumored that many people waved money at Axl over the years to try to get him to do a reunion/work with Slash again, and he wouldn't do it. Up until recently he was making those statements that it wouldn't happen in his lifetime. So while I am sure that money is a motivating factor, IMHO it isn't the only one. If it were, they could have done this reunion five, ten or fifteen years ago.

Plus, if they are in it for the money...and? Most people go to work to make money, why should they be different?

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, stella said:

I agree with this. It's been rumored that many people waved money at Axl over the years to try to get him to do a reunion/work with Slash again, and he wouldn't do it. Up until recently he was making those statements that it wouldn't happen in his lifetime. So while I am sure that money is a motivating factor, IMHO it isn't the only one. If it were, they could have done this reunion five, ten or fifteen years ago.

Plus, if they are in it for the money...and? Most people go to work to make money, why should they be different?

I think that if Axl had any realistic options we still wouldn't be seeing this reunion. I think it just got to the point where even he realised that the NuGnR experiment was over and it was reunion or bust. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

I think that if Axl had any realistic options we still wouldn't be seeing this reunion. I think it just got to the point where even he realised that the NuGnR experiment was over and it was reunion or bust. 

Yeah but Nu Guns was a joke/disaster from the get go (remember the guy with the bucket over his face)?  And the hatred Axl used to spew Slash's way (flamed by TB)... I mean in all reality all that has changed (granted it's gigantic) is that he has a "new" guitarist right?  It's still technically Nu Guns with Slash.  If ya wanna go down that road.....I still call it a reunion (minus Izzy/Steven) with some backing musicians (the drummer and the rythym guitarist guy).

5 hours ago, Estranged1 said:

Yeah but Nu Guns was a joke/disaster from the get go (remember the guy with the bucket over his face)?  And the hatred Axl used to spew Slash's way (flamed by TB)... I mean in all reality all that has changed (granted it's gigantic) is that he has a "new" guitarist right?  It's still technically Nu Guns with Slash.  If ya wanna go down that road.....I still call it a reunion (minus Izzy/Steven) with some backing musicians (the drummer and the rythym guitarist guy).

To be honest I thought the Buckethead lineup were great. It's just that Axl didn't take advantage of it at the time. 

As I see it this is pretty much as just as much real Guns n Roses as the Illusion lineup. I see Sorum/Gilby as just as interchangeable as Ferrer/Fortus so it may not be the Appetite lineup but it's just the same core members that were in the band at its very peak. 

Edited by Dazey

8 hours ago, Dazey said:

Perhaps, but if Axl never wanted to tour or do anything musically again in his life, he could have easily chosen "bust" and just spent the next 40 years doing voice-overs and guest spots and living on his investments/merchandising/licensing, the way a lot of retired celebrities do. None of the Big Three seem to be hurting for money. GnR as a licensing/merchandising entity has been lucrative, NuGnR or not. 

Edited by stella

It is nice that def Leppard roughed it out. Especially cause they were lucky to sell 2000 tickets in the early 2000's but have now rebuilt the name to be able to jam pack arenas. So they got threw the lows of RNR. But Phil's always seemed like an ass. The rest of them seem fun to be around

Phil Collen. Thinks bands getting back together is lame, also thinks being covered by Mariah Carey is an honour.

Phil Collen praised Carey's cover as a "genuine version of our song" and defended it from Def Leppard's more critical fans: "The fans really get it wrong sometimes. She's on our side and it's an honour she's done it. Really, that's the only way we're getting played."

Hardcore!

(PS. 'Our song." This man has no shame.)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stress Fracture said:

Phil Collen. Thinks bands getting back together is lame, also thinks being covered by Mariah Carey is an honour.

Hardcore!

(PS. 'Our song." This man has no shame.)

Slash even pull out a version of PC with Fergie (a fact that he got a lot of shit from people over here...) plus he played an awful live  SCOM with Fergie 

Btw i don't even heard the song so i wasn't  even aware that if he wrote it or something, i despise Def Leppard so i dunno if this is a similar situation when BBF or DJ plays GNR songs on their solo shows... oh and i will not click on this link...

But he should feel honored s much as he wants, imho

Carey is a great singer, just plays shit music (same applies to Lady gaga, she's got some great voice but she plays shit songs, because the majority wants shit songs and autotune)

Edited by Strange Broue

19 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

Carey is a great singer, just plays shit music (same applies to Lady gaga, she's got some great voice but she plays shit songs, because the majority wants shit songs and autotune)

Absolutely, even if one hates the songs they perform, technically, they're really fantastic singers. I actually ended up seeing Mariah Carey perform live once, completely at random (she was a guest on a talk show I was attending, and she performed a live song) and her voice was absolutely amazing. It wasn't my type of music at all, but the vocal performance was spot on.

• Like 1