Led Zeppelin Appreciation thread

classicrawker

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There are probably two billion planets separating what Hendrix was doing from what Page did. They should not even be talked of in the same sentence. In fact I have committed a cardinal sin there myself and am disappointing in myself: Page's name should not be brought up in the same sentence as Jimi - shouldn't happen! Jimi was simply class. Page was a bunch of Chicago blues rips - which he should be sued for - mingled with some Tolkien Elvin silliness. Jimi created absolute masterpieces from nuts and bolts. Are You Experienced? was made on a shoe strung yet it completely altered rock guitar music as we know it. It altered music as we know it.  

Page is a freaking musical genius. Hendrix is absolutely a master and no one can debate what magic he did with the electric guitar, but Page's writing and ideas are just so far above Hendrix

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

There are probably two billion planets separating what Hendrix was doing from what Page did. They should not even be talked of in the same sentence. In fact I have committed a cardinal sin there myself and am disappointing in myself: Page's name should not be brought up in the same sentence as Jimi - shouldn't happen! Jimi was simply class. Page was a bunch of Chicago blues rips - which he should be sued for - mingled with some Tolkien Elvin silliness. Jimi created absolute masterpieces from nuts and bolts. Are You Experienced? was made on a shoe strung yet it completely altered rock guitar music as we know it. It altered music as we know it.  

If there is a contemporary from that era that can remotely compare to Hendrix it would be Jeff Beck. That man got better as he aged. Songs from Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, Cause We've Ended as Lovers and modern was such as Nadia are breathtaking. Of all the Yardbirds guitarists, he was the most innovating. Clapton was the most pure blues, Page the most wild. But Beck blows everyone out of the water, his only rivals were Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

All those guys owe it to Freddie, Albert and B.B. King. Problem is that Page can't be sued because the originator of all those riffs is long dead with no kin. Robert Johnson. 

Little Wing is my favorite Hendrix song. It is beautiful. Clapton and Allman did a great cover as well as an instrumental take by SRV. 

2 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

If there is a contemporary from that era that can remotely compare to Hendrix it would be Jeff Beck. That man got better as he aged. Songs from Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, Cause We've Ended as Lovers and modern was such as Nadia are breathtaking. Of all the Yardbirds guitarists, he was the most innovating. Clapton was the most pure blues, Page the most wild. But Beck blows everyone out of the water, his only rivals were Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

All those guys owe it to Freddie, Albert and B.B. King. Problem is that Page can't be sued because the originator of all those riffs is long dead with no kin. Robert Johnson. 

Little Wing is my favorite Hendrix song. It is beautiful. Clapton and Allman did a great cover as well as an instrumental take by SRV. 

Robert Johnson has living kin, the son of his bit on the side won a case for the rights to all his shit.

And you're actually right about Jeff Beck, though he weren't much for writing tunes.  

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Page is a freaking musical genius. Hendrix is absolutely a master and no one can debate what magic he did with the electric guitar, but Page's writing and ideas are just so far above Hendrix

Like what for example?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Like what for example?

I'm wondering that myself. The first two Zeppelin albums are merely amped up blues rips with some detours in English Tolkien silliness. Hendrix was combining blues, rock n' roll, British pop/psychedelia, Dylan poetry, jazz and a hint of soul on his very first album, and he assembled it into a vision which was distinctly his own and unsurpassed. 

29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm wondering that myself. The first two Zeppelin albums are merely amped up blues rips with some detours in English Tolkien silliness. Hendrix was combining blues, rock n' roll, British pop/psychedelia, Dylan poetry, jazz and a hint of soul on his very first album, and he assembled it into a vision which was distinctly his own and unsurpassed. 

Exactly, with the key part of your post to my mind being the taking of all those things and making them into his own thing, really and truly speaking there had been nothing like Hendrix in popular music at the point he arrived, in terms of creative vision, innovation etc.

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Robert Johnson has living kin, the son of his bit on the side won a case for the rights to all his shit.

And you're actually right about Jeff Beck, though he weren't much for writing tunes.  

Like what for example?

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Stairway to Heaven, Trampled Underfoot, Achilles Last Stand, every acoustic song they've done, In the Light, No Quarter, Kashmir, The Song Remains the Same, and The rain Song to name a few 

3 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Stairway to Heaven, Trampled Underfoot, Achilles Last Stand, every acoustic song they've done, In the Light, No Quarter, Kashmir, The Song Remains the Same, and The rain Song to name a few 

What in those puts him streets beyond Hendrix though?  Or even equal, if music can be judged in such terms.

33 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

They are all terrible apart from No Quarter and Kashmir. Achilles Last Stand is possibly the worst song in their oeuvre.

15 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

they're all different and great at what they do

to show how relative it all is: none of them would be able to pull of some of james hetfield's riffs.

different styles of play require different talents.

no guitar player should be called "the best" since its pointless. it's like arguing the "best" planet in the universe, or the best beer or whatever. best vocalist? some say freddie but freddie wouldnt be able to reach the heights of the ginger one.

having said that, personally i gravitate more towards page / slash / stradlin, keef... while not necessarily the most technical players they do have a rich and colourful catalogue. their playing is focused, as opposed to the "soundscapes" hendrix was painting.

i should never bother to try playing hendrix material, it's just ridiculously out of my league. but slash? izzy? now those are within reach. they are, even if only remotely, manageable.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, action said:

to show how relative it all is: none of them would be able to pull of some of james hetfield's riffs.

no guitar player should be called "the best" since its pointless. it's like arguing the "best" planet in the universe, or the best beer or whatever. best vocalist? some say freddie but freddie wouldnt be able to reach the heights of the ginger one.

having said that, personally i gravitate more towards page / slash / stradlin, keef... while not necessarily the most technical players they do have a rich and colourful catalogue. their playing is focused, as opposed to the "soundscapes" hendrix was painting.

i should never bother to try playing hendrix material, it's just ridiculously out of my league. but slash? izzy? now those are within reach. they are, even if only remotely, manageable.

Yeah but it's fun to take the piss outta each other. Diesel and Len know how to 

4 hours ago, action said:

No one said anything about anyone being the best on the planet though.

1 hour ago, action said:

they need to get a room

there is so much homo erotic banter on here, sometimes it feels like a prison

And those 'sometimes' being the ones when you spunk yourself over it? :lol:  

P.S.  There is no homoerotic banter in prison, just good old rape, I'm reasonably certain they don't try to chat you up or engage in some otherwise form of courtship.  It's pretttttyyyyy much straight to the arse rape :lol:

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

No one said anything about anyone being the best on the planet though.

And those 'sometimes' being the ones when you spunk yourself over it? :lol:  

P.S.  There is no homoerotic banter in prison, just good old rape, I'm reasonably certain they don't try to chat you up or engage in some otherwise form of courtship.  It's pretttttyyyyy much straight to the arse rape :lol:

"reasonably certain".

that cracked me up

26 minutes ago, JeanGenie said:

If you dont see the greatness of Stairway I dont know how were supposed to go on from here. 

To be honest its quite fuckin' dreadful.  I struggle to see anything particularly great about it.  I mean its a good little pop tune I suppose, one that suffers a bit from being massively overplayed, i certainly dont see any greatness in it.

21 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

To be honest its quite fuckin' dreadful.  I struggle to see anything particularly great about it.  I mean its a good little pop tune I suppose, one that suffers a bit from being massively overplayed, i certainly dont see any greatness in it.

Usually thats what all people can agree on being great. The international office of weights a measures of rock.

If that's your opinion we really got nothing to talk about.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JeanGenie said:

Usually thats what all people can agree on being great. The international office of weights a measures of rock.

that's no surprise to me.

cnut only knows the international office of weights and measures of cock

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JeanGenie said:

Yes, it's precisely my opinion, i haven't come down from Sinai having spent time etching it on tablets of stone, you're welcome to dispute it Jeanie ;)

26 minutes ago, action said:

that's no surprise to me.

cnut only knows the international office of weights and measures of cock

What better job for a cnut? :lol:

2 hours ago, JeanGenie said:

If you dont see the greatness of Stairway I dont know how were supposed to go on from here. 

Thank you. You have just displayed archetypal behaviour of a Led Zeppelin fan - see the ''Which Band has the worst fanbase'' thread.

I think ''Stairway'' is an appalling song. Even Robert Plant hates ''Stairway''!!