Led Zeppelin Appreciation thread

classicrawker

maybe there was one but I could not find it so wanted to start a thread for the band.

And Diesel, Nate Lenny we get it you think they suck so please don't shit up the thread.........

For anyone who is a fan and loves their live bootlegs Luis Rey's has just released his 2nd edition of his fan favorite Led Zeppelin Tape documentary book. This book lists all known live concert tapes and bootlegs and gives his opinions on audio and performance quality.

It is an extremely limited printing and in fact is limited to 200 copies as this is a second printing of the 2nd edition. The first printing sold out immediately. The only way I know how to get one is off this person from ebay as he is the owner of the Underground Uprising Zep website and a friend of Rey's. He has about 150 books to sell and has already sold about half in less than a day.

It is not cheap but I have the 1st edition of his book which is from the late 1990's and highly recommend it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131718564108?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

19 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Thanks, Have to admit I did not look that hard and only used the forums search function which came up empty. The mods are free to merge this with the old thread if need be.........

I bumped "my" LZ thread, I figured it was going to die down after the reissues were finished. Their official forum is the go to place anyway. 

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I once read somewhere that Page hates the bootlegs and bootleggers.

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I once read somewhere that Page hates the bootlegs and bootleggers.

Yeah he even gave testimony against a person selling boots in British courts yet he is a big collector of Led Zep bootlegs and loads up when he goes to Japan......... bit of a hypocrite in that regard

• 7 months later...

When it comes to their live sound, the BBC Sessions is the best of the best. Recorded in 1971 just before they became superstars. Many fans and critics notice a difference in their performance on this disc and The Song Remains the Same which was recorded two years after BBC Sessions after they became the biggest rock band on both sides of the Atlantic.

Edit: My mistake, most of the recordings took place in 1969. That explains their energy and their "hunger". They played like they mean it. How The West Was Won was recorded around 1972, considered to be the band at their peak. 

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

• 3 weeks later...

i love to play all their albums on shuffle in my car, on USB. makes you appreciate their ecclectic styles even more

in my time of dying, followed by levee breaks, then gallows pole... what a band.

i appreciate their genuinity, they compact but punchy back catalogue and their live sound.

probably my favorite band after Queen. not sure who's second: zeppelin or GNR.

Edited by action

On 6 February 2016 at 11:43 AM, JeanGenie said:

Jimmy Page for me is the best guitarist of the 20th century. I always love his acoustic approach which for me sets him apart from ones like jimi hendrix.  

Have you guys listened to the BBC sessions? I used to have a double CD of these recordings which was great. 

Thing about Page is, compared to Hendrix hes a bit...i dunno, how can i put this?  Though I've heard Page played a lot of different shit his guitar playing has a weird homogeonizing effect.  Whereas Hendrix nailed just about anything he tried his hand at.  Hendrix was a fuckin'...some kind of living miracle, when he played blues it sounded like blues, when he played funk it sounded like funk...I cant say the same for Page.  Came up with some BANGIN' riffs though, I mean Heartbreaker?  Fuck me!  Black Dog?  Fuck me!  I sometimes wonder if it was because he didnt have a drummer who could give you like...I mean as great as Bonham was it was more regularly hard and heavy than anything else, which is great for someone like Pete Townshend because he has a more dense guitar style but Page seems like...i dunno, alongside JPJ he had a lot of scope for going into certain directions that perhaps the density of Bonham denied.  

Then again it boils down to what you enjoy playing and I'm sure Zep fans dont sit around listening to Zeppelin IV goin' 'yknow what, this'd sound bangin' in a Curtis Mayfield stylee' yknow? :lol:

Zep to me are a bunch of really really good musicians that didnt play a music i like.

• Like 2

omg i just came here cos i just watched Fast Times At Ridgemont High and wanted to post it makes me laugh when Damone tells Rat to always try to play Led Zeppelin IV when trying to score with a chick and in the next scene Rat is w/Stacy driving and Kashmir is playing from Physical Graffitti and now i see you've got LZ4 in your post! too funny :lol:

ok ON topic i will have to say i think Led Zeppelin is incredibly good. i had not listened to them in a long while but heard a song recently that reminded me how good they were.

i wish we had more bands like them around now than most of the crap i hear being played these days :facepalm:

• Like 2

On 10/13/2016 at 2:33 PM, Len Cnut said:

Thing about Page is, compared to Hendrix hes a bit...i dunno, how can i put this?  Though I've heard Page played a lot of different shit his guitar playing has a weird homogeonizing effect.  Whereas Hendrix nailed just about anything he tried his hand at.  Hendrix was a fuckin'...some kind of living miracle, when he played blues it sounded like blues, when he played funk it sounded like funk...I cant say the same for Page.  Came up with some BANGIN' riffs though, I mean Heartbreaker?  Fuck me!  Black Dog?  Fuck me!  I sometimes wonder if it was because he didnt have a drummer who could give you like...I mean as great as Bonham was it was more regularly hard and heavy than anything else, which is great for someone like Pete Townshend because he has a more dense guitar style but Page seems like...i dunno, alongside JPJ he had a lot of scope for going into certain directions that perhaps the density of Bonham denied.  

Then again it boils down to what you enjoy playing and I'm sure Zep fans dont sit around listening to Zeppelin IV goin' 'yknow what, this'd sound bangin' in a Curtis Mayfield stylee' yknow? :lol:

Zep to me are a bunch of really really good musicians that didnt play a music i like.

You can tell if its Page just by listening, he had a distinct style and tone. He played Gibson, Fender, no matter what it is still Page. His style influenced everyone from Eddie Van Halen to Johnny Ramone. I actually prefer Page to Hendrix, though I think Hendrix was beyond anyone at the time. 

There are probably two billion planets separating what Hendrix was doing from what Page did. They should not even be talked of in the same sentence. In fact I have committed a cardinal sin there myself and am disappointing in myself: Page's name should not be brought up in the same sentence as Jimi - shouldn't happen! Jimi was simply class. Page was a bunch of Chicago blues rips - which he should be sued for - mingled with some Tolkien Elvin silliness. Jimi created absolute masterpieces from nuts and bolts. Are You Experienced? was made on a shoe strung yet it completely altered rock guitar music as we know it. It altered music as we know it.  

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 3