OJ Simpson and Amanda Knox

PappyTron

I think that most people are 100% certain that OJ Simpson is guilty of killing his ex wife and the other bloke, but opinion on Knox seems to be more more divided with there being interesting points of view supporting both her guilt and innocence. I'd be interested to read your opinions on these two famous, though some would say infamous, people and their alleged crimes. I tend to lean towards Knox being guilty based on the break-in aspect being incredibly suspect, along with her boyfriend at the time changing his alibi multiple times and stating that he did it at Knox's behest. Then when you throw in Knox lying to the police which lead an innocent man to be jailed, her DNA being found commingled with the victim's blood, her and Sollecito being spotted by witnesses at a time she stated she was elsewhere, the inactivity on the computer when she and Sollecito stated they were using it, the bleach in the house when the housekeeper testified that there was never bleach in the house, the storekeeper of the local store stating that bleach had been purchased. On the flip-side, the prosecution bungled all of the forensics, just like they did in the OJ case, meaning that any good lawyer could and should pull it all apart.

Edited by PappyTron

Knox has obviously benefitted from being a young, attractive white girl. I think American jingoism also played a part in the perception of her being a railroaded innocent, even in the Italian trial hadn't been such a mess I doubt the public would've trusted a foreign country finding her guilty (which I suspect she is). 

I've never understood how anyone genuinely doubted OJ's guilt. Bungled prosecution or not the evidence was there, the history of domestic violence, the lack of alternate suspects etc. Never mind 'If I Did It'. 

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 2

OJ had a history of domestic violence going back to Buffalo but there was a lot done to keep it out of the media. 

If the odds are stacked against the defendant, the best they can hope for is hung jury or mistrial, or reduced sentence (especially if involves being a snitch). 

One of the biggest problems, if not the biggest, with the Knox trial, from the American perspective, is that she was acquitted at trial. In the American system, the prosecution cannot appeal if the acquittal was on the merits as opposed to for procedural mishaps. In other words, if the trial had been in the United States, it would have been the end. However, because it was in Italy, the prosecution got to appeal.

The OJ not guilty verdict was all about getting back at the LAPD.  Everyone knew he did it, even Johnnie Cochran and the rest of the Dream Team.

By the way, anybody watching the mini-series on FX?  Saw the 1st one the other night.  So far, so good.

1 hour ago, JONEZY said:

The OJ not guilty verdict was all about getting back at the LAPD.  Everyone knew he did it, even Johnnie Cochran and the rest of the Dream Team.

By the way, anybody watching the mini-series on FX?  Saw the 1st one the other night.  So far, so good.

I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but it sounds amazing. Opie and Jimmy both love it, and they haven't done me wrong yet.

4 hours ago, axlslash said:

One of the biggest problems, if not the biggest, with the Knox trial, from the American perspective, is that she was acquitted at trial. In the American system, the prosecution cannot appeal if the acquittal was on the merits as opposed to for procedural mishaps. In other words, if the trial had been in the United States, it would have been the end. However, because it was in Italy, the prosecution got to appeal.

Knox was found guilty at her original trial.

1 hour ago, PappyTron said:

Knox was found guilty at her original trial.

Right, my bad. I got my pieces confused. But in any event, from the point that the prosecution began appealing, the validity of the trial was suspect from the American perspective.

1 minute ago, axlslash said:

Right, my bad. I got my pieces confused. But in any event, from the point that the prosecution began appealing, the validity of the trial was suspect from the American perspective.

Oh, I agree. Americans struggle to understand the Italian way of doing things as it seems so alien to western law; no matter who wins the trial the standard procedure is for the other side to appeal.

9 hours ago, axlslash said:

I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but it sounds amazing. Opie and Jimmy both love it, and they haven't done me wrong yet.

The first episode was fantastic, if the series had been released in its entirety I would've been up all night. 

• Like 1

On 06/02/2016 at 8:10 AM, spunko12345 said:

Something you want to tell us Snakes?

Snakes was the fourth person in that equation and is responsible for shagging her to death :lol:  What actually happened with this case, in a nutshell?  Her and her mate shagged that Meredith bird to death or something?  I remember it being in the papers but i could be bothered lookin' into it.  I just assumed she was guilty because of her evil white woman face :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Just now, Len B'stard said:

Snakes was the fourth person in that equation and is responsible for shagging her to death :lol:  What actually happened with this case, in a nutshell?  Her and her mate shagged that Meredith bird to death or something?  I remember it being in the papers but i could be bothered lookin' into it.  I just assumed she was guilty because of her evil white woman face :lol:

'cept I haven't been to Italy yet. :lol:

Just because a girl my age from my town dies in a drug fueled orgy doesn't mean a thing anymore, neither does the police or an ambulance arriving to your party.. http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/news/14244485.Teenagers_with_knives_and_bats_gatecrash_Croydon_child_s_birthday_party_and_stab_24_year_old_man_five_times/?ref=trn

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Angelica said:

Wow, that (even if murder weapon) will not lead to another trial as he cannot be tried again for the same crime but may vindicate a few

I don't really know much about OJ Simpson & his trial but assume he's guilty from the little I've heard or read. The handing in of this knife from someone who got it from someone who found it somewhere isn't likely to give up any new evidence & why was it held on to for so long before being handed in?

I have only just read the Amanda Knox autobiography and rewatched the tv documentary and believe she's totally innocent. So much was stated in her book that didn't add up, didn't make sense and I can't imagine her to be the type of person to pull off such an horrendous murder.