Duran Duran

James Bond

Any fans here? They're about to go on tour and they just put out a new album a few months ago. To be honest, I dismissed them for many years for being nothing more than a pop band. I figured only teenage girls would like their brand of music. I always loved A View To A Kill but nothing else interested me. I did own their "Greatest" album for whatever reason, and a few months ago when going through my CDs I decided to give it an honest listen for something different.

I was missing out. These guys are great songwriters. There's something of a rock sensibility in their songwriting, but they just take it in more of a pop/dance direction. It's funny because it's mostly the same reasons I like The Killers (who I've always liked), and they were heavily influenced by Duran Duran. I find I really dig their middle period after a few line-up changes where they tried to escape the boy band image and really up the songwriting. Come Undone and Ordinary World are enough to make their 1993 second self-titled album awesome.

Also - John Taylor is a great bass player and Simon Le Bon is one hell of a singer.

I've got tickets for their Toronto date this summer and might add a second date since they're also playing 10 minutes away from me next month for the tour opener.

• Like 1