any word on Steven

I find it interesting that Adler has a show scheduled for 04/01 at the Whiskey of all places.   I'm not completely sure of where Adler has played in the past, but isn't it intriguing that Adler has what appears to be basically a one-off club schedule one week in LA at the whiskey before the first official GnR show.  Add this to Adlers complete silence and if I were to speculate, it would tend to make sense that this could be cover for a small warm-up gig for GnR...

Just think about it....

• Like 3

Someone on the Sludge boards had a good idea:

In the event that he's not in on the reunion (and he would know if he is or not at this point), he should set up a tour that follows G'n'R's itinerary and have his Adler band play the same city on the night previous to a G'n'R show. Play all the Appetite and Lies deep cuts that GnR won't touch. They would get tons of free publicity for doing that and play to tons of GnR diehards that are already in the same area.

http://forums.metalsludge.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=329135

1 hour ago, Subtle Signs said:

Someone on the Sludge boards had a good idea:

In the event that he's not in on the reunion (and he would know if he is or not at this point), he should set up a tour that follows G'n'R's itinerary and have his Adler band play the same city on the night previous to a G'n'R show. Play all the Appetite and Lies deep cuts that GnR won't touch. They would get tons of free publicity for doing that and play to tons of GnR diehards that are already in the same area.

http://forums.metalsludge.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=329135

I certainly hope he's involved, life will look bleak for the guy. 

On 2/7/2016 at 1:37 PM, Subtle Signs said:

As I always say,that talk is mostly from kids who were not around to see him play. Or they parrot the company line of "BUT HE DIDN'T WRITE ANYTHING11!!" Steve deserves to be on that stage. I truly fear for him if he's not involved and I can't imagine Slash and Duff will take that chance.

I totally agree.

The ones who trash Stevie and downplay his role in the band clearly weren't around when GNR were the biggest band on the planet.  

For those of us who were around in the early days, we know that there were five guys - NOT one, NOT three - but FIVE guys who together created this amazing sound and had this incredible onstage chemistry that hasn't been matched since. Technically, sure, there may be better drummers than Stevie and even better guitarists than Slash for that matter. But together - these guys had this incredible chemistry that made GNR what it was. Stevie had a passion - a fire - that can't be dismissed. I've always suggested that "new" fans go check out the Ritz show because then they'll see what we're talking about. Stevie deserves to be part of this reunion - or - in my view, it isn't a real reunion. 

I'm hoping his silence means efforts are underway to bring him on for at least some of the songs - similar to what they did at the Rock Hall of Fame performance, where Stevie played some and Matt played some. (Matt, by the way, is very respectful of Stevie and had no issues whatsoever sharing the stage with him at the HOF. In fact, he told me (before the induction) that he figured Stevie would be the one chosen to play and was happy to be asked too).  And it worked well with Stevie playing some songs and Matt playing others.

Stevie DESERVES to be there - he EARNED it. And fans want to see him there.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, madison said:

I totally agree.

The ones who trash Stevie and downplay his role in the band clearly weren't around when GNR were the biggest band on the planet.  

For those of us who were around in the early days, we know that there were five guys - NOT one, NOT three - but FIVE guys who together created this amazing sound and had this incredible onstage chemistry that hasn't been matched since. Technically, sure, there may be better drummers than Stevie and even better guitarists than Slash for that matter. But together - these guys had this incredible chemistry that made GNR what it was. Stevie had a passion - a fire - that can't be dismissed. I've always suggested that "new" fans go check out the Ritz show because then they'll see what we're talking about. Stevie deserves to be part of this reunion - or - in my view, it isn't a real reunion. 

I'm hoping his silence means efforts are underway to bring him on for at least some of the songs - similar to what they did at the Rock Hall of Fame performance, where Stevie played some and Matt played some. (Matt, by the way, is very respectful of Stevie and had no issues whatsoever sharing the stage with him at the HOF. In fact, he told me (before the induction) that he figured Stevie would be the one chosen to play and was happy to be asked too).  And it worked well with Stevie playing some songs and Matt playing others.

Ugh Madison. You call him "Stevie" like you two were in 3rd grade together. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I support Frank and Richard 100%, but I do hope to see Steven join in

No doubt, it would be great to see him. But these people who are seemingly ready to write this whole thing off if he's not behind the kit?  Ewe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, madison said:

I totally agree.

It's always a trip to see you post Madison. It's good seeing you around again. I agree It'd be great having Steven back- even if only for a song or two. I remember watching the Ritz 88 show last year and thinking how fucking awesome that band was. But I always watched it with a sense of nostalgia Knowing that band was over. Now there is a slight chance we could see them again? As a fan, that's everything. I get they have personal dilemmas that are really not any of our business. But as a fan, seeing them together again and hearing the music most importantly, would be surreal and I can only speak from that level because I do not know them.

They are all clean except for Adler. Adler joining will bring too much drama into the camp because his still a junky. Yes he played great on appetite but with Adler around full time I reckon the group would be scared they would fall into old habits and start taking drugs again and implode. Safer with Frank. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, vloors said:

They are all clean except for Adler. Adler joining will bring too much drama into the camp because his still a junky. Yes he played great on appetite but with Adler around full time I reckon the group would be scared they would fall into old habits and start taking drugs again and implode. Safer with Frank. 

Adler is sober.

You do realise that McKagan imploded during VR, obtaining an addiction to anxiety pills, and that Slash was in full time 'party' mood until the late 00s - enough for a massive heart problem?

25 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

problemAdler is sober.

You do realise that McKagan imploded during VR, obtaining an addiction to anxiety pills, and that Slash was in full time 'party' mood until the late 00s - enough for a massive heart problem?

He has to prove to the band his sober. Rest have been sober for a number of years.

Sounds like he burnt too many bridges with the band though.

10 hours ago, madison said:

I totally agree.

Nah. Steven is just a footnote in the history of GN'R. He is only featured on one of their records and then only as the drummer. He admittedly laid down some cool beats but as far as we know didn't take any other part in the creative process (except probably hollering some suggestions for that early version of the PC chorus). If we are to bring back an old drummer I'd much rather it was Josh or Brain, who would be much better for newer material. I'd like to see Steven play maybe one song on one show, purely for his own sake and maybe to finally bring him som closure, but beyond that he is just a liability.

• Like 2

On 12.2.2016 at 0:28 PM, SoulMonster said:

Nah. Steven is just a footnote in the history of GN'R. He is only featured on one of their records and then only as the drummer. He admittedly laid down some cool beats but as far as we know didn't take any other part in the creative process (except probably hollering some suggestions for that early version of the PC chorus). If we are to bring back an old drummer I'd much rather it was Josh or Brain, who would be much better for newer material. I'd like to see Steven play maybe one song on one show, purely for his own sake and maybe to finally bring him som closure, but beyond that he is just a liability.

First of all, Steven does not feature on just one record. He played on Civil War and did some yoga on Lies.

Secondly, He is not a footnote in the history of Gn'R. He's actually a big part of what made it work so well. You don't know he'll be a liability. Perhaps he'll get help from people to babysit him and if he needs to stay sober to realize his biggest dream (probably) there's a chance he'll make it.

Not saying he should be the only drummer, but for the Appetite stuff and Civil War, on some shows he could still bring something special. He did it in the HOF performance in 2012. He always plays Appetite, still loves it like it came out yesterday. If he gets fucked up on drugs they can boot him. He'll just need a tougher contract.

The way you're downplaying his importance is silly. Without his groove it will always be less Gn'R. He sounds great with Duff, together they are a powerful rhythm section. It's bigger than just him and his abilities alone. This is why Duff said it could only be the 5 of them. No one else. This is also why Izzy said nothing worked after Steven left. It wasn't just talk, it sounds very logical.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

The way you're downplaying his importance is silly.

How important you think he is is related to how much of a fan you are of his contributions to AFD. I happen to think he was a good drummer for AFD, but AFD would have been a great record even without him. Maybe not as great, but still great. To me Steven simply isn't very important, and expecially when you look at the entire output of the band. Then he becomes almost irrelevant. Calling him a footnote sounds harsh but I rank him with Gilby, Matt, Tommy, Chris etc. Just a bunch of guys who's contributions had moderately little impact on both the music of GN'R and the band's success. And I am afraid the public is sort of with me on this, too. They liked GN'R because of Axl and Slash. And those who looked at the song credits would probably add Izzy to the that list.

I think a lot of this attention on Steven is from people who wants a time machine so they can see the band as it was in its heydays. Steven happened to be part of the lineup back then, so naturally to complete the illusion of watching that awesome band they insist on him being part of it. Or they just have a big heart and wants him to be happy.

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

How important you think he is is related to how much of a fan you are of his contributions to AFD. I happen to think he was a good drummer for AFD, but AFD would have been a great record even without him. Maybe not as great, but still great. To me Steven simply isn't very important, and expecially when you look at the entire output of the band. Then he becomes almost irrelevant. Calling him a footnote sounds harsh but I rank him with Gilby, Matt, Tommy, Chris etc. Just a bunch of guys who's contributions had moderately little impact on both the music of GN'R and the band's success. And I am afraid the public is sort of with me on this, too. They liked GN'R because of Axl and Slash. And those who looked at the song credits would probably add Izzy to the that list.

I think a lot of this attention on Steven is from people who wants a time machine so they can see the band as it was in its heydays. Steven happened to be part of the lineup back then, so naturally to complete the illusion of watching that awesome band they insist on him being part of it. Or they just have a big heart and wants him to be happy.

Maybe you just don't understand the importance of drums in general? not sure. Maybe it seems to you his simplistic style is easily replaceable. I can assure you it is not. I'm gonna use that word again now: unique. It just fits, he has perfect chemistry with every single one of the classic members. Please understand. It sounds totally different when it's Steven behind the kit. Like how Gn'R is supposed to sound like imo. More signature vintage. And I fuckin' love Brain and the shit Josh came up with. Matt's style gave some Illusion songs a lot of balls which worked, and on the ballads it was iconic, even if it lacked what Steven had.

But no one can sound like Steven like no one can sound like Slash. To me what Slash is capable of musically is much bigger and even more unique, but that doesn't make Steven less great. He is a great hard rock drummer.

Edited by Rovim