[Metallica] 'Hardwired... to Self-Destruct' \\//\\// WorldWired Tour Discussion

Silent Jay

I actually watched a bunch of Metallica documentaries today, making ofs and such like. They have a very bottom-up punched in laborious method of constructing their music. Up until Load era, Hetfield did all of the rhythm tracks, i.e. Kirk had barely any part in recording those early albums sans that forty second solo and a few fills here and there. The way they write is at Ulrich's house and they basically get the other two chaps to send in their demos, most of which are rejected, but if one idea is used so, (e.g. My Friend Misery, Jason's bass bit or Kirk's Sandman riff) it is completely reshaped by Hetfield/Ulrich with little of the progenitor's input!!

I think it is more democratic now but only marginally so.

Oh yes, Lars basically conducts Kirk when he is recording his leads!! He sits infront of him basically telling him to play.

Still, it worked for them successfully, however unusual their methods - at least for their classic stuff.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2016 at 1:46 PM, Majestic Beast said:

METALLICA Announces Casting Calls For New Video

METALLICA will film a video for an as-yet-undisclosed new song on October 11-12 in the San Francisco Bay Area. The band has issued casting calls for multiple roles of all ethnicities, including for fans to cheer on while METALLICA performs and individuals who are able to "engage in lightly choreographed fighting."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-announces-casting-calls-for-new-video/

Who wants to go there?:P

14671326_10153841968335264_1434544240263

james is one of the least reckognised rhythm guitarists i know. the man created so many killer riffs. he IS metallica. wheres the reckognition? hes as much entitled to legendary status as slash or page. shame he went an other direction from load onwards. his talents lay elsewhere. he still has it in him though, see death magnetic.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, action said:

james is one of the least reckognised rhythm guitarists i know. the man created so many killer riffs. he IS metallica. wheres the reckognition? hes as much entitled to legendary status as slash or page. shame he went an other direction from load onwards. his talents lay elsewhere. he still has it in him though, see death magnetic.

I think in the field of heavy metal, he is just behind Iommi for riffage, but I understand what you mean if you are discussing general music. Metallica always had this cult feel to them, even when they were playing to millions during the height of the black album era.

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think in the field of heavy metal, he is just behind Iommi for riffage, but I understand what you mean if you are discussing general music. Metallica always had this cult feel to them, even when they were playing to millions during the height of the black album era.

how many people, in general, really know the difference between lead and rhythm guitar?

speaking of myself, i always had an idea of the difference between the two, but it was only when i began playing guitar myself, i could really see and hear the difference.

the term "lead" guitar is misleading. you'd be forgiven to think the lead guitar is what you hear most of the time, while the opposite is true.

before i played guitar myself, i figured lead guitar was the "main" guitar and rhythm was just something way back in the mix.

i always thought Kirk was the one i heard most on the albums. i couldnt really point to where james was playing. turns out, kirk, being lead guitar, only has small portions i each song.

same with guns n roses. most of the guitars you hear is Izzy, yet Slash is the guitarist most people associate with GNR.

somehow, lead guitarists get all the attention. while more often than not, it's the other one you hear

The thing is Hetfield is recognised. The real recognition is when you pick up a guitar to do what he does yourself and you think you know it except you'll be told by someone to stop alternate picking everything and only use downpicking. In 5 minutes time when it feels like you're gonna tear a muscle playing Creeping Death....that's when you recognise how beastly and machine like Hetfield is at what he does. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, action said:

how many people, in general, really know the difference between lead and rhythm guitar?

speaking of myself, i always had an idea of the difference between the two, but it was only when i began playing guitar myself, i could really see and hear the difference.

the term "lead" guitar is misleading. you'd be forgiven to think the lead guitar is what you hear most of the time, while the opposite is true.

before i played guitar myself, i figured lead guitar was the "main" guitar and rhythm was just something way back in the mix.

i always thought Kirk was the one i heard most on the albums. i couldnt really point to where james was playing. turns out, kirk, being lead guitar, only has small portions i each song.

same with guns n roses. most of the guitars you hear is Izzy, yet Slash is the guitarist most people associate with GNR.

somehow, lead guitarists get all the attention. while more often than not, it's the other one you hear

They are both playing rhythm. In layman's terms, a lead guitarist is a rhythm guitars except for x amount of seconds he breaks away and plays a solo. This is generally modus operandi for most rock bands. Metallica however are a bit exceptional: when you listen to all of their records (up until Load I believe where they began adopting the procedure employed by Guns and most bands), it is Hetfield doubling all the rhythm guitars; it is a bit of a strange practice as Kirk had barely anything to do during the making of those albums, and Kirk would always end up playing rhythm regardless when Metallica performed that music live! It is something to do with Hetfield/Ulrich I think, who run Metallica like a sort of Gestapo - as I said above, their songwriting method is equally dictatorial.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

The thing is Hetfield is recognised. The real recognition is when you pick up a guitar to do what he does yourself and you think you know it except you'll be told by someone to stop alternate picking everything and only use downpicking. In 5 minutes time when it feels like you're gonna tear a muscle playing Creeping Death....that's when you recognise how beastly and machine like Hetfield is at what he does. 

I seem to recall from my thrashy days ''Master of Puppets'', the song, producing shards of agony.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2016 at 1:35 PM, action said:

this new music seems a step in the right direction IMO

• Like 1

can i just take a moment and express how underappreciated "kill em all" is?

james' guitar tone is wicked.

to label it a "garage" album, is not doing this justice. st anger was a garage album. kill em all is just a stone cold classic. never should it be mentioned in the same sentence as st anger.

• Like 1

Well it is a garage album. St. Anger is just a shitty album that happens to sound like a garage album :lol: 

Didn't listen to Metallica properly in a while. Currently on their marathon, got to Reload but that's not the point. This is - holy shit that run of first 4 albums. I can't find a single turd song or even average one from those. They range from like 7/10 to 11/10. That machine gun drum part in One, literally got goosebumps on my whole body. Ride The Lighting riff, pure anger on Kill 'em All, or Battery intro riff or fucking Whiplash...

Just saw this in my news feed. It's marvelous 

Edited by Nicklord
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Well it is a garage album. St. Anger is just a shitty album that happens to sound like a garage album :lol: 

Didn't listen to Metallica properly in a while. Currently on their marathon, got to Reload but that's not the point. This is - holy shit that run of first 4 albums. I can't find a single turd song or even average one from those. They range from like 7/10 to 11/10. That machine gun drum part in One, literally got goosebumps on my whole body. Ride The Lighting riff, pure anger on Kill 'em All, or Battery intro riff or fucking Whiplash...

Just saw this in my news feed. It's marvelous 

i love that machine gun part in one. i was listening to it the other day and felt similar as you did.

the first riff on the first song on kill em all, is so fucking boss.

• Like 1

Atlas, Rise! on Halloween.

To help fans get into the Halloween spirit, starting this Friday, October 28, METALLICA fans around the world can visit select independent record stores for the chance to obtain a free limited-edition "Hardwired... To Self-Destruct" Halloween mask. Inside of each mask, fans will find a special access code that will allow them to hear "Atlas, Rise!" 30 minutes prior to its official release on Halloween.

To see a complete list of participating record stores, visit www.metallica.com.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-to-release-atlas-rise-on-halloween/#sd8mLXh8r0XTUWUt.99

• Like 1

On 10/14/2016 at 2:55 AM, Cosmo said:

By far. Lars is a subpar drummer. Kirk sounds like he hit his head at some point in the nineties and forgot how to solo. Leaves us Robert and James. James all the way.

Lars may be subpar (like Ringo or Peter Criss) but it wouldn't be the same with somebody else playing drums.

Lars gets all the hate on the internet (due to his personality) but after watching that Some Kind Of Monster thing I quite liked him, found James to be the cock.

PS I can't take Metallica seriously with Trujilio on bass.

43 minutes ago, DR DOOM said:

Lars may be subpar (like Ringo or Peter Criss) but it wouldn't be the same with somebody else playing drums.

Lars gets all the hate on the internet (due to his personality) but after watching that Some Kind Of Monster thing I quite liked him, found James to be the cock.

PS I can't take Metallica seriously with Trujilio on bass.

Ringo is not 'subpar'. Peter Criss is also not 'subpar'.

Listened to the new tune. It sounds subpar. Metallica is over. They have nothing to say anymore. All they can do is put together semi-decent riffs that are not quite as good with solos that are not as good with shitty vocals and horrid lyrics. Very weak, sad, and most of all pathetic but they had a good run.

8 years for this? I'll listen to the entire turd, but it doesn't sound promising. Atlas Rise? sounds like a load of shit. James and his shitty song titles. Almost as shitty as lords of summer. And Kirk's "guitar solo" is a joke. Lars: Go play Antarctica again or make some kind of monster doc part 2 where you all join hands and walk to the sea, ending the circle of mediocrity. Now I'm certain it's over. It's been 13 years since St. Anger came out. Before that they were lost with load and reload. Their inspiration ran out 20 years ago and it's not coming back. Sad but true.

Edited by Rovim