[Metallica] 'Hardwired... to Self-Destruct' \\//\\// WorldWired Tour Discussion

Silent Jay

12 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Definitely looking forward to this album. I've liked all 3 tunes so far. They're maybe getting like a metal version of AC/DC. This is what we do. It certainly works for these 2 bands.

The one time Metallica tried to step out of the box (St Anger), it went over like a fart in a spacesuit.

Yeah, they tried to follow the trend and get in on the nu metal scene, with tragic results. What a half hearted attempt it was though. Not like when they did some different and it was good, like S&M. 

The album leaked.. Just finished a first listen and here's my first impression:

Kinda disappointed. It's not bad but Atlas Rise and Moth Into Flames are much better than the average song here. Some songs sound Load/ReLoadish, actually. Didn't see that coming. Some are just kind of uninspired like Confusion, I Am Savage, Dream No More, etc... The album lacks fast thrash songs at times. Best songs here are Spit Out The Bone, which is really an amazing song, Atlas Rise, Moth Into Flame and Halo on Fire, IMO. The rest kinda left me wishing this was a short, 6-8 track album with the best they had. I'll give it a few more listens though.

When you try to put out double album,it's sure the second cd always is weaker and lack of first one,now the more i listen the album more i like it,production is perfect,james vocals are improved and have a 90's era vibe,no of course is not a thrash album,i already prefer it more than DM.

Revenge,Now That We're Dead,Moth,Dream No More,Halo On Fire,Spit Out The Bone are top for me,the rest from just good to mediocre till uninspired.

It worth the 8 years of waiting?,if they haven't done this crap with the movie may we had this 2 years earlier.

Edited by Majestic Beast

Listening now. Atlas Rise is pure Maiden.

Jesus, my zits are returning! My hair is regaining its greasiness! My shirt collection is morphing black and acquiring skull designs!

'Halo on Fire' reminds me of Lizzy.

PS

It is actually a lot more Loady than the three songs they leaked put across.

PPS

Kirk's solos all sound the same these days.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Early impressions: production is GREAT and blows DM away in that regard. 

Very 90s Metallica sounding, mid tempo and heavy on vocal harmonies. 

Solos are piss poor, not that i expected any different. 

Overlong, should have been one disk and some songs draggggg. 

Confusion my favourite track so far along with Moth into Flame. 

Don't see the hype for Halo of fire or spit on the bone, both seem average to me.

It is actually a bit of a con, the double disc thing. It (74:43) is across two compact discs yet clocks in at less than Load (78:59), a single album. In other words, the album certainly fits upon one compact disc, and indeed, if you make a cheeky burn of it just to annoy Lars Ulrich, it in fact does. I suspect it is a way to add an extra three or four pounds onto the retail price?

After a couple of listens, some songs kinda grew on me, I must admit. But some are just trash. This should have been a 6-8 track solid/ok album. It would have still been a long as hell album, I don't get it. 

Best-to-Worst so far:

01- Spit Out The Bone

02- Atlas, Rise!

03- Moth Into Flame

04- Halo On Fire

05- ManUnkind

06- Now That We're Dead

07- Here Comes Revenge

08- Hardwired

09- Confusion

10 - Am I Savage?

11- Murder One

12- Dream No More

2 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

This should have been a 6-8 track solid/ok album. It would have still been a long as hell album, I don't get it. 

An accusation you could level at Death Magnetic, St Anger and Load also, however St Anger, unlike the other two, was never going to mysteriously turn in to a good album no matter what they did to it, but a certain proof-reading might have made the thing almost listenable. Metallica are a prolix band. They tend to follow the belief that ''more means better'' and consequentially fill the album up to its brimming. In a way it is compensating for the massive time lapses between releases.