[Metallica] 'Hardwired... to Self-Destruct' \\//\\// WorldWired Tour Discussion

Silent Jay

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Death Magnetic would have been a much better album if not for the production. There are at least eight songs on there which a top-drawer.

Oh yeah, it's borderline unlistenable. Californication is probably the only rock/metal album with worse sound

"I can say James [Hetfield, METALLICA guitarist/vocalist] and I had a blast doing back-up vocals last week, it was probably the most fun I've had during this album cycle; I wouldn't even call that work. It was just super fun blasting out those choruses. He had a big smile on his face and so did I, so that's something that I'll always remember, because I don't think I've ever done it on that level. I mean, we've done a couple things here and there, but that was a first for me, to be in the vocal booth with him. It was pretty cool. So I feel great. The bass sounds are crushing. I would say they're the best bass sounds that I've had with this band, for sure, and already for me that's a plus. I'm very proud of what Greg [Fidelman, producer] has done with the sound of my instruments, and I'm also proud of the way I played. We've had fun."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/robert-trujillo-had-fun-recording-metallicas-new-album/#RKuHXEHgu0f4Eu8C.99

Speaking of production.

Lars to the US Library of Congress on Master Of Puppets:

"Obviously the album has resonated with not only the Library, but with fans and critics.

"I'm not sure I can sit down and listen to it, though, and not yell, 'Will someone turn the reverb down!'

"I guess there's a cohesiveness in the songwriting and the production. It works really well as a cohesive landscape, a musical territory. I'm happy it all lined up."

According to the drummer, the band were "infatuated with the overdubbing opportunities and with all we could do in the studio."

"Ideologies change - they go through arcs," he reflects. "At that time there was an evolution happening and people took it seriously.

"The record we're now working on is more about capturing a mood, making it sound raw and not overproduced.

"But it was a different vibe then and we were comfortable with it - we were excited about multi-tracks and all the gadgets."

Edited by Silent Jay

5 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Speaking of production.

Lars to the US Library of Congress on Master Of Puppets:

"Obviously the album has resonated with not only the Library, but with fans and critics.

"I'm not sure I can sit down and listen to it, though, and not yell, 'Will someone turn the reverb down!'

"I guess there's a cohesiveness in the songwriting and the production. It works really well as a cohesive landscape, a musical territory. I'm happy it all lined up."

According to the drummer, the band were "infatuated with the overdubbing opportunities and with all we could do in the studio."

"Ideologies change - they go through arcs," he reflects. "At that time there was an evolution happening and people took it seriously.

"The record we're now working on is more about capturing a mood, making it sound raw and not overproduced.

"But it was a different vibe then and we were comfortable with it - we were excited about multi-tracks and all the gadgets."

Well all I know is Master of Puppets still holds up today, by way of both production and musicality, while their last two albums sound like someone with irritable bowel syndrome flatulating over a pair of ear-phones (miced up to a cheap pair of speakers).

• 1 month later...

"It really does exist! We know it’s been a long time coming, but today we proudly introduce you to 'Hardwired… To Self-Destruct,' the long awaited next Metallica studio album that is the follow-up to 'Death Magnetic'! Two discs, nearly 80 minutes of music is coming your way on November 18, 2016... yes, THIS YEAR!
"'Hardwired...' represents the next phase of our journey as Metallica and we are so excited to share it with you. If anyone was tuned into radio station 93X in Minneapolis earlier today, you heard the world debut of the first track, 'Hardwired' and we’re hoping you’ll hear a lot more of it in the coming days.

"Produced by Greg Fidelman, along with James and Lars, this is our 11th studio album and is available for pre-order in a variety of configurations including 12 songs on a double CD, vinyl, digital download, as well as a deluxe version with the riffs that were the origins of the album. Everyone who pre-orders the album through Metallica.com will receive an instant download of the song 'Hardwired.'"

Hardwired... To Self Destruct Track Listing:

Disc One:
Hardwired
Atlas, Rise!
Now That We're Dead
Moth Into Flame
Am I Savage?
Halo on Fire

Disc Two:
Confusion
Dream No More
ManUNkind
Here Comes Revenge
Murder One
Spit Out the Bone

Disc Three (Deluxe Edition Only):
Lords of Summer
Riff Charge (Riff Origins)
N.W.O.B.H.M. A.T.M. (Riff Origins)
Tin Shot (Riff Origins)
Plow (Riff Origins)
Sawblade (Riff Origins)
RIP (Riff Origins)
Lima (Riff Origins)
91 (Riff Origins)
MTO (Riff Origins)
RL72 (Riff Origins)
Frankenstein (Riff Origins)
CHI (Riff Origins)
X Dust (Riff Origins)

43434_2_ver1471550787.jpg

Edited by Silent Jay

Sounds a bit inspired by kill 'em all IMO, with a hint of MOP. At leasta Jameeeezzzaaa is notttaaa singinnnn-ah lika thizzzzzzaaaa yeah. TBH, his voice sound a bit better for me. For a 3 min thrash song tho, I would still go with Repentless if this is what the album is gonna sound like. Anyways, too soon to judge. That's only one song in a double álbum. 

• Like 1

the problem with DM was, it desperately wanted to be a shorter album like in the early '80s but they cheated and put at least 3 different songs in one track, which in turn made it a convoluted mess.

... and hetfield's vocals. why does he sound so fucking happy? it doesnt fit with the shredding. it needs RTL, MOP or even justice angryness. now it sounds so...mickey?

james needs to get his rasp back.