Were Axl's last 2014 shows good because he knew about the reunion?

Do you think Axl, in summer 2014, had known about the future reunion or at least that it was in the works, and started training his voice for it? He sounded really good in 2014 Vegas shows as the tour ended. Do you think the future reunion had any part in his good singing form in those shows?

I think people forget he sounded awful in 2014...like the worst he's sounded ever. But around June 4th going into his 30th concert that year or whatever he started to find something. I'm not sure if it was the introduction of songs he hadn't played in years (yesterday's, Prostitute) or he was warmed up finally and starting to control his vocals. 

So really he sounded good for 3 shows but he struggled to put together a good performance of YCBM RQ NR and Estranged. So hopefully he's been putting in the work to get vocals right. I'm pretty sure the reunion will motivate him to get it right, so I have high expectations going into April. 

I don't think Axl anticipated the reunion at this point, I hope that wasn't the point of mending his relationship with Slash, I think he just knew this would be his last show for a while and brought a little more those nights. 

• Like 1

He was probably gave a shit, because he had known that he couldn't pull out some songs with the new line up

Several reports say the reunion was in the works for 2 years at least...

That doesn't explain why he sounded like shit since 2011 o most of the shows... saving his voice? it's possible, but he was not the person who doesn't give a shit on his performance.... that's why his lazy 2011 onwards period is a mistery.... but he did a handful of shows, though

Edited by Strange Broue

He didn't only sound a helluva lot better in Vegas but he also seemed to have found some new energy. His stage presence was much better than it had been in a very long time. He seemed very motivated and happy so I'm sure something happened after the Golden Gods. I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with the reunion.

2 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

How did he sound in 1993 then? Gosh.

You're talking about a 21 year age difference. To expect him to sound exactly like he did in 1993 is unreasonable, especially considering he still performs everything in the original key. Most singers with songs as vocally demanding as GN'R songs would be tuning down by their early 50's to accommodate their aging voices. I absolutely agree that the rest of 2014 was a train wreck vocally. But in Vegas he was good, especially towards the end of the run. Those last three gigs are both the best and most consistent he's sounded since 2010, so that's something. 

I wonder if it'd be beneficial for Axl to tune down... from Eb to D.... that might be cool if it meant easier raspage and power. 

Sounds kinda heavy in a cool way. Older, wiser? Nightrain @ 7:15 sounds ballsy as hell!

Edited by Ant

8 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

He was probably gave a shit, because he had known that he couldn't pull out some songs with the new line up

Several reports say the reunion was in the works for 2 years at least...

That doesn't explain why he sounded like shit since 2011 o most of the shows... saving his voice? it's possible, but he was not the person who doesn't give a shit on his performance.... that's why his lazy 2011 onwards period is a mistery.... but he did a handful of shows, though

Holy shit where are the full versions? they sound cool as fuck!

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I always thought it was more like a farewell to Ron, the last 2 shows were really long and Axl sounded like he gave a shit. If the reunion were the reason, wouldn't he have tried to sound good at the Golden Gods when Duff was there, and it was streamed? Or on the SA tour?

Agree. I think Layla was a part of it, that unrequited love song before November Rain. That was really beautiful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ant said:

I wonder if it'd be beneficial for Axl to tune down... from Eb to D.... that might be cool if it meant easier raspage and power. 

Sounds kinda heavy in a cool way. Older, wiser? Nightrain @ 7:15 sounds ballsy as hell!

I usually hate when bands have to "give in" and tune down, but those actually don't sound bad or too far off from what Axl could easily manage now. I'd be okay with that. With him singing the songs half a step down (what most know as normal for GNR) tho for all of these years, it's unlikely for him to readjust or want to unless absolutely necessary. Who knows though.

• Like 1

As a performer, Axl actually reminds me of Ace Frehley - when the fire is under his ass, he's unstoppable, but if the mood doesn't strike, it's sloppy and through the motions. I honestly think Axl kind of coasted through 2013 and 2014. The "Mickey" vocals didn't matter to him because it was an easy way to get through the shows. That's not to say he wasn't having fun but clearly something was missing. Whatever it was, by the end of the 2014 he was feeling more motivated because he sounded good again. Was it Duff? The impending reunion? Who knows.

Ace Frehley has acknowledged that about himself - he says sometimes he feels it, sometimes he doesn't. He chooses not to practice and therefore some shows he plays beyond sloppy and other shows he kills it. Axl is the same - no rehearsal, etc... So he's always better by the end once he's ready to kill it.

22 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

I quotted you by accident sorry, thanks anyway haha I was talking about GNR in D-Tune but I realized that they are the album versions with modified audio.

On February 7, 2016 at 1:59 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Do you think Axl, in summer 2014, had known about the future reunion or at least that it was in the works, and started training his voice for it? He sounded really good in 2014 Vegas shows as the tour ended. Do you think the future reunion had any part in his good singing form in those shows?

I think he had to have known things were heading in that direction for sure. I think that he hit a point either right before Vegas or during that leg that realistically that he band was going nowhere and reunion was realistically the only direction to properly go in. 

So while I do like that point that it may have been a proper send off to Bumblefoot, axl knew bumble was leaving, Tommy wasn't coming back, duff was back full time, he knew motley would retire and dj would be pulled to sixx am, as well as possibly other members may have been in a position to move on with their careers, and he had probably cleared things up with slash as well as came to terms with what happened and got over things. There were reports and rumblings that axl was considering reuniting the original lineup during the Vegas stint and there was something to it the entire time, something we now know.

When you do the math and put it all together, I think axl really wanted to test himself and see if he could vocally get to a point where a reunion would be worth it in terms of him being able to perform to the level fans would expect him to sing at. 

Edited by Billsfan

On 08/02/2016 at 3:23 AM, Ant said:

Maybe it's be better for the high range, could be an issue for lower or mid range songs. The high raspy stuff is the trademark, I actually think he has no problems m hitting the high notes, its just he's using a clean head voice instead of his distorted wail. I'm all for the rasp.Tuning down to D would change the sound of the old songs dramatically, just like when metallica went from standard to 1/2 step down... Much sluggier and less powerful, but easier for Hetfield to sing every night.

I think the issue with Axl's vocals since 2001 has nothing to do with keys, and everything to do with his singing style.

He probably destroyed his voice multiple times during the UYI tour, and after '93 he probably saw some voice doctor or vocal coach who strongly adviced against his singing style and highly recommended the head voice, if he wanted to keep singing for the remainder of his career.

I think had he chosen to continue singing like he used to, he would have no voice left whatsoever by now....

Too bad, because the last time he sounded anywhere near good was on Sympathy for the devil or Come Together back in 1994.