I Have A Theory...

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is what I predict,

Guns N' Roses

Axl, Slash, Duff

Backing Musicians

Fortus, Ferrar, Dizzy (perhaps Pitman also)

Guest Musicians

Adler, Stradlin, Sorum, (perhaps Gilby also).

To all intents and purposes, GN'R are a trio. The guest musicians will be slotted around specific dates a la Stones/Mick Taylor/Bill Wyman.

This. 

9 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I'll say it as respectfully as I can - I think that your theory is dumb.

I think Axl and maybe Slash and Duff probably think Adler is a liability at best. He may get thrown a "play this one gig with us" bone but he's done a lot to damage their trust and this is not even considering his dumpster fire personal life. Musically, what does he bring new to the table? If history is any indicator, Axl likes switching up drumming styles so unless they're making a creatively stagnant nostalgia album (please God no), Adler is as good as expendable now.

I think Izzy just doesn't give a fuck and never liked the big rock band thing. He will probably pop up at a gig or two but we have no reason to believe that drugs have been part of his life as of late so it's asinine to insinuate that. It's a gossip rag tier theory.

What I find more reasonable is that Axl probably wants some of "his guys" in the new band to even things out, they know the CD stuff, and he values what they bring to the table either musically or intangibly moving forward. 

GN'R never has operated like a "normal band" sometimes to their detriment but if you think putting every answer out in the form of a press release is good marketing, you don't know what you're talking about. 

Well, thanks for being respectful.  :bitchfight:

And as for "but if you think putting every answer out in the form of a press release is good marketing," that's not really what I said, is it?  I'm only referring to listing the remaining band members that'll be on the tour on the tail of their announcement.  They'd do that if they had a whole band.  The only reasons not to do it is if they haven't nailed down a complete band yet, or if they are planning a big surprise-- or both.  And as someone else pointed out, F&F have little name value for the purposes of promoting the tour.  If they're in the band, why keep it a secret?

Anyway... please tell me more about PR. It's fascinating.

Interesting theory. It's not too far fetched really. Wasn't Tommy Thayer effectively a backup for Ace on the last reunion tour they did? I'm sure he said in an interview that they thought Ace was going to be a no-show at a show so he was going to to do it, got changed etc and then Ace did turn up at the last minute. Plus, wasn't Vinny Appice a backup for Bill Ward at some point in the past? Whilst I guess it would pretty dull for Frank and Richard I imagine they'll be paid a decent amount for just being there. 

Personally it does seem that there is still some ambiguity over the lineup and I imagine that may be why Axl pulled out of the TV interview. Perhaps negotiations are still ongoing? Ultimately though I wouldn't be surprised if Richard and Frank (and Pitman for that matter) aren't in any future official photos/promos. I mean look at the Stones - Darryl Jones isn't an 'official' member. Maybe I'm just an optimist but I wouldn't be surprised if we see the original five on stage this year, even if it is just a couple of songs at one show. 

• Like 1

It's not like it doesn't happen.  Example:  Tommy Thayer traveled with KISS with his own Spaceman costume while Ace Frehley was still in the band.  He was a contingency plan.  

Going outside of music, there are tons of examples of actors and directors being shadowed by possible replacements, both Coppola on THE GODFATHER and Donner on SUPERMAN being good examples of this.  

When there's a lot of money and expectation on the line, you'd be surprised at how quickly feelings and consideration for the contract players are out the window.  And loyalty and a steady paycheck can certainly trump pride for guys like that.

• Like 2

Band member changes are more akin to actors leaving famous roles, more so than directors/writers being replaced. Back in 1980, most people didn't even realize Richard Donner had shot most of Superman II, and genuinely believed that Richard Lester had crafted a more fun, riveting sequel. People are not attached to directors, not in the same way they're attached to actor's portrayals of characters. No one wants someone else to play Indiana Jones outside of Harrison Ford. And besides one iconic character, James Bond, most changes in roles are not celebrated, but usually met with hostility. It's just commonplace now that properties are constantly rebooted and remade.

In terms of the band, why bring attention to something that might cause adverse publicity. For whatever reason, it seems likely that this will not be a full reunion of either the "AFD" or "UYI" lineup. So why bring attention to that? Why bring attention to Frank and Fortus? Especially when public perception is that this is some sort of reunion/reformation/regrouping. It does no good and causes a shift in conversation. It might even taint that sentiment of good-will. People will shift their focus from "Slash and Axl are back together" to "Wait, if you two guys could sort things out, why couldn't you sort it out with Izzy and Steven/Matt?"

Edited by FuriousStyles

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is what I predict,

Guns N' Roses

Axl, Slash, Duff

Backing Musicians

Guest Musicians

To all intents and purposes, GN'R are a trio. The guest musicians will be slotted around specific dates a la Stones/Mick Taylor/Bill Wyman.

You're probably right. As you say, a Stones situation. Also akin to The Who where it's only Pete and Roger marketed as the band even though Zak Starkey and Pino Palladino have rounded out the line-up for over a decade (and their longtime keyboard player who toured with them forever, John Bundrick, although I'm not sure if he's still playing with them).

Green Day too - Jason White was with them for like 15 years before given "member" status (although it was always offered to him).

Dom Brown has been Duran Duran's guitarist for about 10 years now, starting as a substitute for Andy Taylor and then becoming the permanent replacement when he left the band again. However, he hasn't been given "member" status because they can still market the other four as "all original" so to speak.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, James Bond said:

You're probably right. As you say, a Stones situation. Also akin to The Who where it's only Pete and Roger marketed as the band even though Zak Starkey and Pino Palladino have rounded out the line-up for over a decade (and their longtime keyboard player who toured with them forever, John Bundrick, although I'm not sure if he's still playing with them).

Green Day too - Jason White was with them for like 15 years before given "member" status (although it was always offered to him).

Dom Brown has been Duran Duran's guitarist for about 10 years now, starting as a substitute for Andy Taylor and then becoming the permanent replacement when he left the band again. However, he hasn't been given "member" status because they can still market the other four as "all original" so to speak.

Bon Jovi are down to 3 of original 5 left. 

The Pumpkins also spring to mind - up until Chamberlin came back full time Corgan and Schroeder were the only official members and they still currently have no official bass player. Sabbath also - Tommy Clufetos isn't an official member and didn't play on 13

I guess the difference with Guns is that Pitman, Fortus and Ferrer have been official members in the past - the lineup shirt from 2010 springs to mind. Part of me thinks that Axl may be keen to have them in photos as it's a way of showing it's a continuation of sorts rather than admitting that nuGuns was basically a failure. Part of me still thinks that something is being thrashed out re the lineup. Having said that, April is fast approaching so if Adler/Matt/Izzy are going to be a part of the reunion full time then the cut off point must be soon. 

Even if they'e there, it would still mean nuGNR failed. The whole point of that band was to wipe out Slash. Look how he cut off Marc because of the book. He wanted to bury the old band and destroy Slash's legacy.

Yet here we are.

In the end, he's done more damage to himself.

5 minutes ago, Babooshka said:

Even if they'e there, it would still mean nuGNR failed. The whole point of that band was to wipe out Slash. Look how he cut off Marc because of the book. He wanted to bury the old band and destroy Slash's legacy.

Yet here we are.

In the end, he's done more damage to himself.

Oh it's painfully obvious that nuGuns failed but I could still see Axl trying to save face a bit. That being said if they did get Matt/Adler/Izzy/Gilby back into the fold then they could push the 'classic' lineup angle which would make for even more hype. I mean whilst the AFD lineup will always be the definitive I think the UYI lineup will seem a bigger deal than the hybrid. Ultimately I think people have a point that to the general public it's all about Slash coming back but the nostalgia angle would be a big sell. Plus, I think the VR era cemented Matt as a GN'R member as he, Slash and Duff were all seen as the ex GN'R guys..

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is what I predict,

Guns N' Roses

Axl, Slash, Duff

Backing Musicians

Guest Musicians

I think you're right on with this.

My guess is that most shows will be Axl/Slash/Duff/Fortus/Frank/Dizzy & Chris while Adler/Izzy & Matt will play here and again at certain shows.

your theory is very interesting, because... I would like it to be verified by experience.

If you theory is not verified, why keeping secret about participating members?

man, it is just rock n roll... could it be simple a little bit, forget vip package at 2500 dollars?? Why everything is so complicated with GnR? ??

10 minutes ago, nico_france said:

your theory is very interesting, because... I would like it to be verified by experience.

If you theory is not verified, why keeping secret about participating members?

man, it is just rock n roll... could it be simple a little bit, forget vip package at 2500 dollars?? Why everything is so complicated with GnR? ??

Theory:  an idea that is suggested or presented as possibly true but that is not known or proven to be true; also, the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another (emphasis mine).

If what I'm postulating were verified, it would cease to be a theory and become fact.  I've not presented anything but speculation based on my own observation of certain things that are accepted to be fact-- I have no inside knowledge whatsoever.  This is all supposition on my part.

• Like 1

On 8 February 2016 at 6:11 AM, D-GenerationX said:

I doubt it.

You'd want to advertise the original 5 if you could.

True, the other glimmer is they can have that line up but not commit to it legally or whatever. The fact they are selling tickets with the big 3 gives them a freedom. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

When has GNR ever bothered to keep the fans up to date?

It would have to be awkward for Fortus and Ferrer to be dragged along as a mere back-up plan. Not a very likely scenario if you ask me.

If they do anything of the sort, both would still play some songs....they just wouldn't be on stage when the other guys are.

On 2/8/2016 at 3:57 PM, Babooshka said:

When this whole thing started, I didn't want nuGNR members anywhere near the band. But I'm at the point now where I don't really care. If Izzy and Steven can not get their shit together and commit, then I'm fine with Fortus and Frank/Matt. Chris will always be a no.

I want Steven and Izzy there more than anything but it isn't end all be all.. After that the Pittman thing really makes a difference for me.. Just keep it to 6 guys onstage..