Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

7 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

Anything is better than reincarnation. Especially reincarnation of Anakin. 

Yeah that would be atrocious.

I'm on the fence about the Kenobi theory. Just doesn't really sit right with me for some reason. I almost like her as a Skywalker better. I think it would service the story better and keep it coherent. If she's Obi Wan's kid then that's gonna add a whole Obi Wan aspect to the plot, and frankly I just don't think we need to revisit him.

10 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

Yeah that would be atrocious.

I'm on the fence about the Kenobi theory. Just doesn't really sit right with me for some reason. I almost like her as a Skywalker better. I think it would service the story better and keep it coherent. If she's Obi Wan's kid then that's gonna add a whole Obi Wan aspect to the plot, and frankly I just don't think we need to revisit him.

She'd have to be his grandkid for it to make any sort of sense, and from a business point of view it'd be a good launching pad for the much talked about Kenobi anthology film. That said, I don't think they'll add too much of Obi Wan himself. Whether or not Rey is a Kenobi, I reckon Episodes 8 or 9 won't feature Obi Wan much (if at all) outside of a cameo Force ghost appearance.

I welcome his return as my favourite character in the saga, but I agree that the story needs to stay about Rey and with Luke as her mentor we don't necessarily need to see too much of Obi Wan. Save all that for the inevitable anthology film!

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Daedalus said:

Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing... if it's true.

It's probably true. Jason Ward is the guy who leaked the entire Force Awakens plot like 7 months before the movie came out, and he's already leaked some details about The Last Jedi that have already been confirmed to be true by disney shareholder reports. He seems to have some friend on the inside that Lucasfilm can't seem to find.

On 3/27/2017 at 8:01 PM, Daedalus said:

Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing... if it's true.

It is... if he left out the A and it is "A Game of Thrones" instead of the TV show called "Game of Thrones" :P.

That said... this is a Disney film. The inevitable twist at the end, probably won't be that dramatic. 

Edited by AtariLegend

http://movieweb.com/star-wars-new-movie-tv-plans-disney-lucasfilm/

According to MakingStarWars (the site that has been leaking accurate stuff about the new movies for the last few years), here's Lucasfilm's game-plan for the future of Star Wars:

Spoiler

From an earlier report: The Han Solo movie might get two sequels after the current Skywalker trilogy is done, but its still unknown if the same writers or directors will be around for all them.

There will be an Obi-Wan movie that is set on Tattooine and takes place in between episodes 3 and 4. Ewan McGregor seems pretty much locked in to return, and Gareth Edwards (Rogue One director) seems to be in serious talks to helm it, but the writing and production teams will not be the same from Rogue One. The report also makes it clear that this will be strictly a standalone, and not have any direct sequels no matter what (there's only so much you can do with that premise, after all). It's possible that this all may be announced at the Star Wars Celebration convention in a few weeks. 

They are also planning a "romantic tragedy" spin-off, which they want a female director to helm.

Simon Kinberg, who has written most of the X-Men movies, wrote a script several years ago for a heist movie about a team of bounty hunters lead by Boba Fett. This film was supposed to come out in 2018, but was scrapped after the director they had lined-up, Josh Trank, had a meltdown over the Fantastic Four reboot and was fired from the Fett film as a result. Lucasfilm is still considering adapting Kinberg's script with a new director at some point down the road.

After all of that, the franchise will apparently take a break from releasing movies for a few years in order to avoid market fatigue, and then eventually come back with a fourth Skywalker trilogy. During the years of no movies, Lucasfilm plans to release several new animated shows after Rebels wraps up. The report claims that these new shows will "stand on their own" rather than "fill in gaps between movies" like Clone Wars and Rebels did. It's also possible that the canceled live action show from over a decade ago, as well as the canceled-but-finished comedy cartoon show Detours, and maybe even some unfinished episodes of Clone Wars, may all finally see the light of day during this timeframe (I'm just speculating for those last two). 

Edited by rocknroll41

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

New animated show announced called Star Wars: Forces of Destiny...so that's where that title trademark came from.

Sources are always welcome. http://www.starwars.com/news/rey-ahsoka-tano-and-more-iconic-heroes-to-star-in-new-star-wars-forces-of-destiny-animated-micro-series

"Rey, Ahsoka Tano, Jyn Erso, Princess Leia, Sabine Wren, and other icons of a galaxy far, far away will take center stage in Star Wars Forces of Destiny — a new animated micro-series and initiative celebrating some of Star Wars‘ most beloved and inspirational characters. Announced by Disney and Lucasfilm today, Star Wars Forces of Destiny launches in July with a series of animated shorts (2-3 minutes each) on Disney YouTube, exploring all-new adventures of the fan-favorites. A two-part TV special featuring eight additional shorts will follow on Disney Channel in fall 2017. Significantly, Daisy Ridley (Rey), Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso), Tiya Sircar (Sabine Wren), Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka Tano), and Lupita Nyong’o (Maz Kanata, narrating the series) will all reprise their roles for the show. "