Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

• 4 weeks later...

It was already a dicey concept anyways. Han's arc happens in the OT, not before. It would have been a tough endevor creatively speaking, to give us a compelling story that fits into the rest of the films.

The cast and directors gave me a tiny bit of hope, but now this already fragile concept has taken a huge blow.

They should have waited to do Han after Boba Fett. Boba is a blank canvas and you could do almost anything with his story, and it would've helped add more credibility to the spin offs to have two decent films already under the belt

• Like 2

A Han Solo movie was one of the movie subjects I'd want least out of the Anthology films.

A. Harrison Ford IS Han Solo, you can't stop or change that (at least I get this would be him as a kid so its a little more easy to swallow)

B. His story opens in ANH and closes in TFA. Most of his growth happens in ANH and Empire, he is already the "wise hero" in ROTJ and TFA

C. Its just boring, we have all the Han we need. TFA was a great encore and send off for the beloved character, explore some other lesser known characters. That is what these side movies should be for.

If they HAD to do big name characters for an Anthology film I'd have preferred an Ewan McGreggor Obi-Wan movie in between III and IV, a Boba movie after VI, or even a Vader/Palps bro team up fuck-shit-up extravaganza set in between III and IV. Those would have all been more stomach-able for me than Han Solo. Han, Leis, and Luke should be left alone as much as possible unless its a trilogy film.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

So they replaced the young dudes that they found to be too "risky" or whatever with an old friend and seasoned vet who has experience working on big projects with lots of pressure...makes sense to me!

5 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Ron Howard is a great director.

But the movie will likely still be useless garbage.

Hmmmm, intersting.  Not sure I'm going to agree he is a great director.  I guess that would depend on how many fall in the "great" range.  He isn't top 50 all time for me and I'm hard pressed to see him fitting in my personal top 100 though I'd agree he could, I just wouldn't.   He falls more in the better than average category than great for me.  

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

Hmmmm, intersting.  Not sure I'm going to agree he is a great director.  I guess that would depend on how many fall in the "great" range.  He isn't top 50 all time for me and I'm hard pressed to see him fitting in my personal top 100 though I'd agree he could, I just wouldn't.   He falls more in the better than average category than great for me.  

I suppose I could see that. Regardless, he has some great films under his belt, and he's got some bad ones. That said, he is an interesting choice to direct this movie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

After looking at a list of what he's directed, from what I can remember, I've seen two movies he directed, one I liked, and one I didn't. Apollo 13 is the one I liked, and The DaVinci Code is the one I didn't. 

I think he hasn't made a good movie since Cinderella Man. I watched Ransom. Willow felt like Star Wars a bit.

I've said before that the only main story character I'm interested in a spin-off film off is the much talked about Kenobi movie. Mostly because we're in the unique position of having that same actor reprise the role and be at the right age to do so.

• Like 1

Thats probably the only reason I'd support the idea of a Kenobi film.

Palpetine Vader could only probably be pulled off by a talanted director with a lot of creative control. Unfortunately that isn't how Disney writes these movies, so I'd rather they just stick to safer films that can fit into a more traditional plot.

If The Last Jedi proves that they can take risks and succeed that would go a long way towards my enthusiasm towards the spin offs. I have a feeling though that it will be pretty safe and straightforward, much like TFA. These movies are written by boardrooms and market executives, not screenwriters and directors. 

• 3 weeks later...