Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

I like it...

We don't really know what the title implies.  Are they speaking of Luke, or will he train Rey to become the last Jedi?

And if Rey ends up being the last Jedi, does that hint at the endgame of the series, where both the jedi and the sith no longer exist in the Star Wars universe?  If Rey, with Luke's assistance and training, takes on Ren and his master, does the "force" itself end?

Very excited for the next film. 

32 minutes ago, downzy said:

I like it...

We don't really know what the title implies.  Are they speaking of Luke, or will he train Rey to become the last Jedi?

And if Rey ends up being the last Jedi, does that hint at the endgame of the series, where both the jedi and the sith no longer exist in the Star Wars universe?  If Rey, with Luke's assistance and training, takes on Ren and his master, does the "force" itself end?

I view it as a title for Luke because he is the last Jedi right now. I think they will work to rebuild the Jedi.

The title can mean so many cool things

I don't know a very deep knowledge of Star Wars canon and the backstory behind the Jedi and Sith, but it seems to me that many sith were at one point Jedi who became disillusioned or tormented into becoming a sith.  Perhaps leaving behind the Jedi is the way to end the sith...

2 hours ago, downzy said:

I like it...

Great comments...but two things to note.  The sith are currently extinct in the Star Wars world (as far as we know) and second Jedi here and as always could be singular or plural.

1 hour ago, downzy said:

I don't know a very deep knowledge of Star Wars canon and the backstory behind the Jedi and Sith, but it seems to me that many sith were at one point Jedi who became disillusioned or tormented into becoming a sith.  Perhaps leaving behind the Jedi is the way to end the sith...

Great points here too, though "many" sith were once Jedi is over-stated as I believe that owe current canon Dooku is the only former Jedi who ever became a Sith Lord.   Problem is the old EU had a few more but that was wiped from Canon by Disney.

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

Great points here too, though "many" sith were once Jedi is over-stated as I believe that owe current canon Dooku is the only former Jedi who ever became a Sith Lord.   Problem is the old EU had a few more but that was wiped from Canon by Disney.

Not only Count Dooku, Darth Vader used to be a Jedi too. But I agree, not many sith were Jedi. I think the dark side of The Force was always around. And whoever were the founders of the sith were capable to recuit others from across the galaxy.

10 minutes ago, Padme said:

Not only Count Dooku, Darth Vader used to be a Jedi too. But I agree, not many sith were Jedi. I think the dark side of The Force was always around. And whoever were the founders of the sith were capable to recuit others from across the galaxy.

Well damn hell yah lol, how silly of me haha (about Anakin/Darth) lol

7 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

No clue. I was just making a joke. 

That's a funny coincidence cause I read on a STarwars forum just today that Restoration of the Republic was the episode 9 title in lucas' rejected document (various details from that document have been leaking out lately). Guess that means you're psychic lol.

I suggested a few posts ago that they may have gone with the wording "The Last Jedi" as opposed to the more Star Warsian "Last of the Jedi" to avoid making it sound a little too much like ROTJ as a title. Well, I just learned that there is in fact a Star Wars novel called "The Last of the Jedi" so go figure - that's been used.

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I view it as a title for Luke because he is the last Jedi right now. I think they will work to rebuild the Jedi.

The title can mean so many cool things

Yeah, perhaps, it's definitely open to interpretation at this point.  

I see people complaining about how it's not the most original title, but Star Wars has never really been the most original movie series so for me, it's like, whatever...

35 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I suggested a few posts ago that they may have gone with the wording "The Last Jedi" as opposed to the more Star Warsian "Last of the Jedi" to avoid making it sound a little too much like ROTJ as a title. Well, I just learned that there is in fact a Star Wars novel called "The Last of the Jedi" so go figure - that's been used.

The Last Jedi is also a Star Wars novel, from 2013 I believe. 

9 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

The title isn't what I'm most intrigued by - it's the Star Wars logo being in red on the teaser poster. Why go with a different color than the traditional yellow used on...virtually everything Star Wars related?

It may be red on all the promo material but I'm 99.9999999999999% sure it'll still be yellow in the actual movie itself, and that the crawl will still be yellow as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

It may be red on all the promo material but I'm 99.9999999999999% sure it'll still be yellow in the actual movie itself, and that the crawl will still be yellow as well.

Well, yeah - I didn't expect a red crawl. But still...a curious decision IMO.

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Well, isn't the second instalment in a trilogy suppose to be the one where the bad guys win?  

In the original trilogy the bad guys only had little wins in ESB. And in the last trilogy the bad guys won in all of them one way or another. The big win was in Episode III

• Like 1

Revenge of the Jedi actually would have been a cool title for Episode VIII if only it weren't a previously intended title (and, of course, far too similar anyways).

Having slept on it, I can now conclude that I love The Last Jedi as a title. It's blunt, it's to the point, and yet there's all kinds of mystery surrounding it. At the very least, Disney knows how to get people talking. Speculation is already running wild with the title reveal.

• Like 2