Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

49 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Star Wars titles rarely mean anything to me, so I'm not mad at this one. Attack of the Clones is probably the only one I disliked just because of a complete lack of creativity. 

I disliked it also. But it was because we didn't really see much of the Clones Wars. The end of the movie was the begining of the war.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Padme said:

I disliked it also. But it was because we didn't really see much of the Clones Wars. The end of the movie was the begining of the war.

Common problem in the prequels - never seeing the more exciting things that are alluded to or referenced. But yes, Attack of the Clones as a title is the weakest in the series. Arguably the film itself as well!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Common problem in the prequels - never seeing the more exciting things that are alluded to or referenced. But yes, Attack of the Clones as a title is the weakest in the series. Arguably the film itself as well!

I do not think there is any argument there. It is absolute excrement of the highest order. Probably the only thing people agree on is that is the worst.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not think there is any argument there. It is absolute excrement of the highest order. Probably the only thing people agree on is that is the worst.

LOOK WHAT I CAN DO! I caused everyone to agree on something! HOORAY! :lol:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Some might say The Phantom Menace is worse. It's a close call. Phantom is at least nicer to look at since it still utilised some real locations and effects.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Some might say The Phantom Menace is worse. It's a close call. Phantom is at least nicer to look at since it still utilised some real locations and effects.

Yeah and I would argue that some of the imagery is still nice-looking in Phantom, like the designs of Darth Maul and Liam Neeson, as well as the designs of the ships and the underwater city. In contrast, Attack of the Clones has no memorable imagery at all imo. It all looks like shit. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah and I would argue that some of the imagery is still nice-looking in Phantom, like the designs of Darth Maul and Liam Neeson, as well as the designs of the ships and the underwater city. In contrast, Attack of the Clones has no memorable imagery at all imo. It all looks like shit. 

Obi Wan fighting Jango Fett on the clone planet and then in space was pretty cool.

• Like 2

I found Jango Fett to be quite overrated. Underwritten like many of the "would be" great characters in the prequels. However, I love the lead up to Obi Wan's battle with him when they mistake him as the Jedi who has come to inspect the clones. It's a well written scene that plays as a nice homage to spy films.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I found Jango Fett to be quite overrated. Underwritten like many of the "would be" great characters in the prequels. However, I love the lead up to Obi Wan's battle with him when they mistake him as the Jedi who has come to inspect the clones. It's a well written scene that plays as a nice homage to spy films.

I think it makes sense in the context of seeing Boba Fett as a kid with his father. And the fact that for some die hard Star Wars fans Boba Fett was always a very popular character. And you see why he followed in the foot steps of his father.

@Padme

Yeah I get why they included him instead of a generic bounty hunter character, but it was another shoehorned plot point that hardly got any attention. It also led to George Lucas stupidly replacing Boba's original voice in Empire with the actor who played Jango for "continuity" so I guess that's why I hold a bit of resentment to Jango's involvement. :lol:

It's not as shoehorned as say C-3PO and the whole "oh, uh, let's wipe his mind - that ought to explain why he doesn't remember the events in A New Hope" or anything like that, but on the whole Jango just felt like a wasted opportunity in the same way Darth Maul was criminally underused in Phantom.

44 minutes ago, James Bond said:

@Padme

Yeah I get why they included him instead of a generic bounty hunter character, but it was another shoehorned plot point that hardly got any attention. It also led to George Lucas stupidly replacing Boba's original voice in Empire with the actor who played Jango for "continuity" so I guess that's why I hold a bit of resentment to Jango's involvement. :lol:

It's not as shoehorned as say C-3PO and the whole "oh, uh, let's wipe his mind - that ought to explain why he doesn't remember the events in A New Hope" or anything like that, but on the whole Jango just felt like a wasted opportunity in the same way Darth Maul was criminally underused in Phantom.

I disagree about Threepio's mindwipe. We're led to believe mindwipes for protocol droids are common in the very first movie. Uncle Owen tells Luke to have Threepio's mind wiped and get it ready for work. 

My mom and dad saw the first SW movie when it was released in 1977. After I was born, as I got older, I got into them too. My daughter who's 6 loves the SW movies too. She loves Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia.

When the first SW was released it was so different from any other movie and for that time the special effects looked so amazing.

I think these movies are a part of movie history now and will always be.

1 hour ago, luciusfunk said:

I disagree about Threepio's mindwipe. We're led to believe mindwipes for protocol droids are common in the very first movie. Uncle Owen tells Luke to have Threepio's mind wiped and get it ready for work. 

Perhaps that in particular was a bad example (and I had forgotten about Uncle Owen's line), but nevertheless my point was just that the focus of the prequels was misguided. We see very little of Obi Wan and Anakin actually working or training together and building an on screen relationship (especially since they spend half of episodes II and III split on separate missions from one another), and yet we get all kinds of shoehorned backstory for other characters. Things that should have been part of expository dialogue were shown and vice versa. Some of it might have been for fan service, sure, but other bits are silly. Darth Vader built C-3PO? Yoda and Chewie knew each other? I think George Lucas forgot that not every last little detail in the Star Wars universe has to be connected or related. It just seems a little too convenient and takes me out of the film.

Part of the fun for me is in the mystery of where some of the characters came from. It's the "Jaws" approach where sometimes less is more. The more backstories we get, the less fun things become. For me, anyways.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

I see no problem with Yoda knowing Chewbacca. They never interacted with each other in the OT, we don't even know Luke ever mentioned Yoda to Han or Chewie. 

It's not so much that it's an anachronism as much as it just feels forced to me. It didn't need to be there for the bigger picture.

I don't know. If the Clone Wars has a battle on Kashyyyk and the Clones are led by Jedi Generals, I don't really see a problem. It would be different if Obi-Wan or Anakin had been assigned to Kashyyyk. 

Would you prefer Plo Koon or a different Jedi lead the battle? Or just not have Chewbacca show up on the Wookiee homeworld?

The scene is one of the goofier parts of Sith in my humble opinion so I would have rather had that particular battle take place on a planet we haven't seen. It didn't have to be the Wookiee home world.

That said, I know I have some pretty unpopular opinions of the prequel franchise. Most people seem to love Yoda's involvement. Me? I actually don't like what they did with his character at all.

Just now, luciusfunk said:

Well Kashyyyk is expected to be there. It and an army of Wookiees had been planned since Return of the Jedi.

I guess, like many elements of the prequels, the execution was poor. So many good ideas that never get fully explored or that feel limited. Add in copious amounts of CGI...

That said, I do truly enjoy ROTS. Some of the problems I have with it are mere nitpicks compared to the problems I have with Episodes I and II.

• Like 1

I'd rather have one emotionally compelling battle on one planet involving complex and interesting characters, than have it cut between multiple planets featuring the death of a bunch of Jedi nobodies. 

I agree completely that Yoda was bastardized in the prequels and that Kashyk or whatever was an unnecessary addition. Regardless, the Wookie planet and the army weren't the problem in and of themselves, but rather part of a bigger problem of RotS. The bigger problem of course is that all the emotional stakes in RotS were forced and paper thin. The visual and musical reinforcement over the death of the Jedi and Order 66 did raise the bar above that of Phantom Menace and AotC, but once you get past the basic emotion of "oh no, the Jedi are dying and they all got played by Palpatine" it really falls flat. Really we knew the Jedi would be exterminated anyways, so it still doesn't amount to much in the end. Only about five of the Jedi are of consequence to the story, the rest are cheap props for Clones to murder.

RotS was definitely the most tolerable of the three films, but without a strong First and Second Act, the Third Act will inevitably crumble under its own weight, forcing the screenwriters to do things like shoot a 15 minute fight scene featuring Obi-Wan and Anakin glaring and screaming at each other to make up for their flimsy relationship over the previous films. Although that scene is tedious as fuck, it's actually probably the best they could have done to have us give a shit about Anakin and Obi-Wan's falling out.

They spent absolutely zero time having Ani and Obi interact in Ep 1, a consequence of the GRAVE mistake of featuring a child Anakin. They could have stepped up the game in Attack of the Clones, but inexplicably for half of the film, Ani and Obi are separated to bring the focus on Ani and Padame's love story, which was a collosal failure.

Edited by Dan H.
  • Like 2