Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

A bit of footage was shown at the Disney shareholder's meeting today:

Description of footage:

""Star Wars: The Last Jedi" clip is being screened. But it's a joke, sort of! We just got a few seconds of Rey handing Luke a lightsaber."

"We just saw more "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" footage. In it, Luke asks Rey, "Who are you?" Then we see her deftly handle a lightsaber."

"Also making appearances in "The Last Jedi" footage: Chewbacca, General Leia Organa and Finn."

"One last thing on the "Last Jedi" footage: We saw all sorts of settings -- mountains, oceans, forests, deserts. Look suitably epic, exotic."

"More on "The Last Jedi" clip: We saw a shot of an X-wing wobbling mid-air, under attack inside a giant ship. Looked like a wounded bird."

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Słash said:

I bet we will see someone saying "Rey, I am your father" 

So you're saying Luke is her father, bc otherwise the other two possibilities are dead unless we get a Ben force ghost moment with Ewan McGregor or Han Solo was force sensitive all along :)

Though Snoke is still possible I guess, we shall see!

My money is on her being a Kenobi. I'll be (somewhat) disappointed if they go the predictable route of her being Luke's daughter. With talk of a possible Obi Wan appearance I'd say it's possible we learn her lineage to him (possibly granddaughter). It's trivial but I think it's noteworthy that JJ asked John Boyega to act with an American accent for Finn but Daisy/Rey kept her natural British one. We've had many British accented characters in Star Wars but Old Ben is the most noteworthy.

• Like 2

I don't think she's related to any of the classic heroes. They made that theory look too obvious in Tfa that for them to not just come out and say it then means it's likely not the case. Plus, JJ already said in the commentary that kylo never met rey before. I doubt she'd be connected to the Skywalker/solo family is she never met her own brother/cousin before.

with that being said, I do think there will be an explanation for Rey's mary sue-ness. Like she'll be a reincarnation of the very first-ever force user from thousands of years ago, or some shit.

JJ initially said that Rey's parents weren't in the film but later clarified that he meant that she doesn't discover them but they might already be in her world or something to that effect. I feel like that rules out the whole reincarnation stuff unless he's trying to mislead us.

She does hear Ewan McGregor in her Force vision so I'm still sticking to my theory. I am possibly setting myself up for great disappointment. :lol:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, James Bond said:

JJ initially said that Rey's parents weren't in the film but later clarified that he meant that she doesn't discover them but they might already be in her world or something to that effect. I feel like that rules out the whole reincarnation stuff unless he's trying to mislead us.

She does hear Ewan McGregor in her Force vision so I'm still sticking to my theory. I am possibly setting myself up for great disappointment. :lol:

I like the Kenobi theory best so far. Being a Skywalker would be too obvious, especially if it wasn't revealed in TFA. Being someone totally random doesn't really bridge the gap between trilogies well - it begs the question why she is a focal point of the saga. But being a Kenobi would be semi plausible, and it's a big enough twist that besides those who are actively reading fan theories may not see it coming. 

• Like 1

I thought there was already a trailer out? I saw a video online with some clips that looked legitimate, but now I can't find it. Must've been fake I guess, but it seemed fairly high quality and Rey had her hair down in the scenes.

Guess it was fake :(

1 hour ago, Dan H. said:

I thought there was already a trailer out? I saw a video online with some clips that looked legitimate, but now I can't find it. Must've been fake I guess, but it seemed fairly high quality and Rey had her hair down in the scenes.

Guess it was fake :(

There was a fan trailer spreading the other day but I didn't watch it. Maybe that was the one you speak of!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I like the Kenobi theory best so far. Being a Skywalker would be too obvious, especially if it wasn't revealed in TFA. Being someone totally random doesn't really bridge the gap between trilogies well - it begs the question why she is a focal point of the saga. But being a Kenobi would be semi plausible, and it's a big enough twist that besides those who are actively reading fan theories may not see it coming. 

It'd be a great subversion of what we've already seen. Both the original and prequel trilogies have Obi Wan training and caring for a Skywalker like a son. It'd be a nice twist to have an older Luke training and caring for a Kenobi like a daughter.

• Like 2