Irving Azoff Comments On Guns N' Roses Reunion

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/12/arts/music/a-word-with-irving-azoff-a-hard-charging-artists-manager.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

Most of it's about the music business and the passing of Glenn Frey, and a couple of sentences about the GNR reunion. 

Q. Recently it was announced that Guns N’ Roses would be reuniting for Coachella. You once briefly managed the band, and Axl Rose said that you had tried to pressure him into reuniting the original group.

A. I would never go to an artist and say, “I want you to reunite.” If he had asked me if I thought it was a good idea, I would have said yes. But by the way, nobody tells Axl to do anything. He does what he wants to do.

Slash and Duff McKagan are terrific people. Axl is a complicated individual that I wish nothing but success for. I think this is a good historical moment that the public deserves to see. I hope it happens.

• Like 2

Azoff was the only manager that was able to deliver Chinese, no easy feat. Good to see the bad blood between him and Axl have cooled down somewhat.

Who would really be surprised if he tried talking Axl into a reunion back in 08/09 though? He was behind the reunions of Van Halen and The Eagles.

Edited by GNR 1991

8 minutes ago, Estranged Reality said:

I think Azoff was brought in -- probably by the label? -- because they knew he was the only guy that could get the record out at that point and, I believe, they thought he could convince Axl to reunite the old band. It didn't happen. That's why I don't think the reunion is a "sell-out" or that Axl compromised; if Azoff couldn't convince Axl to reunite a few years ago, there's no way he would suddenly decide to sell out now. I think it's financially motivated, duh, but I don't think if he still had serious beef with Slash he'd have ever agreed. I think Duff helped them resolve some of their issues and that opened the door for Axl to play with him again.

Yup, i agree with this. And if Axl is to be believed (at least his mygnr chats) then the reunion would only be happening if he was motivated by new music prospects... obviously the money too :) I think Axl could have easily hired a new set of guitar players and convinced Tommy (or replaced him too) and hit the road again. He wasn't pushed into a corner over this reunion.

Sad to read the bit abut The Eagles calling it a day, but I suppose they couldn't really continue without Glen at this stage in their career.

8 hours ago, Estranged Reality said:

I think Azoff was brought in -- probably by the label? -- because they knew he was the only guy that could get the record out at that point and, I believe, they thought he could convince Axl to reunite the old band. It didn't happen. That's why I don't think the reunion is a "sell-out" or that Axl compromised; if Azoff couldn't convince Axl to reunite a few years ago, there's no way he would suddenly decide to sell out now. I think it's financially motivated, duh, but I don't think if he still had serious beef with Slash he'd have ever agreed. I think Duff helped them resolve some of their issues and that opened the door for Axl to play with him again.

There's no way?

He is old now, the interest for his version of the bands is less and less every year (that's why they started doing private weddings and Vegas gigs in the first place)  75% of his band fucked off, without DJ -as much funny as it sounds- he cannot maintain his circus band without the classic names. It's that simple. The beef between him and Slash probably been cooled down years ago (that's why we got the news about how this reunion was in the works years ago....) This was just the perfect time for it in Axl's world. Then how can you explain AxL's lies about  "not in this lifetime" etc.?  he flat out lied AGAIN.... Not to mention the fact that he still controlls the band fully and Slash and Duff agreed to play what Axl wants and play on this hybrid line up... therefore maintain the "stability"....

I for one have no problem with it, since the majority of GNR fans wants Slash back in the band since he quit.... and i think this new hybrid line up has potential... it's all up to Axl from this point... if he came out with a good voice, then it's better

Edited by Strange Broue

Who hasn't made a bold statement that they've gone back on later in life?

People say "I'll never post on XYZ forum again" but are back posting there the next day, does that make them LIARS of such grand proportions as arch villain, W.Axl Rose?

Fucking hell, the war is over people- Axl is finally doing what everybody wanted.

I've been as critical as anybody from 09-14 but it's time to stop beating the Dead Horse.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Strange Broue said:

There's no way?

He is old now, the interest for his version of the bands is less and less every year (that's why they started doing private weddings and Vegas gigs in the first place)  75% of his band fucked off, without DJ -as much funny as it sounds- he cannot maintain his circus band without the classic names. It's that simple. The beef between him and Slash probably been cooled down years ago (that's why we got the news about how this reunion was in the works years ago....) This was just the perfect time for it in Axl's world. Then how can you explain AxL's lies about  "not in this lifetime" etc.?  he flat out lied AGAIN.... Not to mention the fact that he still controlls the band fully and Slash and Duff agreed to play what Axl wants and play on this hybrid line up... therefore maintain the "stability"....

I for one have no problem with it, since the majority of GNR fans wants Slash back in the band since he quit.... and i think this new hybrid line up has potential... it's all up to Axl from this point... if he came out with a good voice, then it's better

I don't think he lied when he said one of them would be dead before a reunion happened. At that time he really felt that way. We've read numerous interviews where people say he really held a grudge on Slash for leaving the band for several years. Axl said it himself in the RIP interview. However, nothing lasts forever, even cold November rain...

I'm 100% sure Axl wouldn't do it only for the money, if they hadn't worked things out. I'm not saying money is not an issue, but I don't belive he would do it ONLY for that. Duff definetely helped Slash and Axl be on good terms again.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Estranged Reality said:

I think Azoff was brought in -- probably by the label? -- because they knew he was the only guy that could get the record out at that point 

I believe the implications from Stinson and the other interviews that the label is the reason the album wasn't released before that.

"Then he had this great idea to bring in [producer] Roy Thomas Baker to make it sound better. All he did was re-record everything three or four different times, trying to make it sound like something it didn't need to sound like, and spend $10 million in the process. My two cents on the whole thing is that I really think Jimmy Iovine f*cked the whole thing up." "It was a bummer. Most of the songs that are on the record now were done 10 f*cking years ago. But all the talking heads in the mix were saying, Make 'em sound better! Make 'em sound better!' So we kept redoing this and that. And it ended up coming back down to the same f*cking songs that they were 10 years ago, except that now they were a super-dense mishmash of a bunch of instrumentation." "That whole era pretty much sums up what happened to the record industry. Those kinds of people, making those kinds of decisions and not really helping the artist."

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tremolo said:

Azoff is a disgusting piece of shit.

I don't say this because of his involvement with GNR or whatever issues he and Axl had. This is about what he has done as CEO of Ticketmaster and how he has destroyed live music events for the average fan. He's a greedy corporate cunt who has been in the music industry only for the money, and it has worked for him like a charm.

I hope his dick falls off and has a slow painful death.

Haha. Wow what a death wish. 

13 hours ago, Estranged Reality said:

This literally describes it all. I give credit to the guy for helping get Chinese released but I always believed he hoped it would fail to get a reunited GNR to tour with van halen. And you're also right in that axl wasn't going to reunite just for money or kicks, so again nothing but gratitude towards duff and anyone else who helped.

25 minutes ago, JONEZY said:

I just wonder who is in charge?  This is a big reunion that fans have been waiting for over 20 years.  There has to be some big-time person who got this together.  Who it is, I have no idea. 

I don't think Axl would do it if it was somehow pushed by someone. They probably worked it out themselves and I believe Duff played the key role for this to happen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

There's no way?

Axl is not old.

30 minutes ago, Strange Broue said:

Like i said: i'm looking forward to this reunion

But seems like the forum already populated with people who doesn't know what a lie is...

Alx lied, period

This does not imply that i will not enjoy the shows....

Then the Eagles lied. Kiss lied. Steven Tyler and Joe perry lied earlier in their careers. Virtually everybody has lied then, Inlcuding the police, van halen, etc. we could go on for days.. Axl wasn't lying. I don't see how it's lying when your intentions and feelings change..? Idk, maybe some people would have preferred him stubbornly stick to his previous views and not reunite with slash to prove he's not a "liar" 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

.....but it's time to stop beating the Dead Horse.

15 hours ago, emybdc said:

However, nothing lasts forever, even cold November rain...

I feel like we have a GNR musical in the making with all these song cues.

Fact is being a fan of this band is startin' to seem like nothing but a Bad.....

... a bad time. Actually it's pretty great. Carry on. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

Like i said: i'm looking forward to this reunion

But seems like the forum already populated with people who doesn't know what a lie is...

Alx lied, period

This does not imply that i will not enjoy the shows....

This is getting off topic, but I am interested in your definition of lie. I've seen this brought up a few times on this forum and everyone who says Axl lied always seem so insistent.

Generally in day to day life by people in my geographical area a lie means to be intentionally deceptive or purposefully stating something that is untrue. If someone asked me to look out the window and tell them how many vehicles were in the parking lot and I said four and then a van moves and it turned out there were actually five- I was wrong, it was not true, but I did not lie. My sincere belief and counting was that there were four cars.

Please explain to me your definition. From what I can tell, and I could be incorrect here, your definition of lie seems to equal being wrong about something.

I am going to a basketball game tomorrow.

I just made a statement for the future that I believe to be true. Now if I get in a car wreck and die. Am I now a liar? Did I just lie to you?

I am going to go to a basketball game tomorrow. Now that I said that and if I get in a car crash tomorrow and die, did I just lie to you?

Edited by sanity_lost
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

This is getting off topic, but I am interested in your definition of lie. I've seen this brought up a few times on this forum and everyone who says Axl lied always seem so insistent.

Generally in day to day life by people in my geographical area a lie means to be intentionally deceptive or purposefully stating something that is untrue. If someone asked me to look out the window and tell them how many vehicles were in the parking lot and I said four and then a van moves and it turned out there were actually five- I was wrong, it was not true, but I did not lie. My sincere belief and counting was that there were four cars.

Please explain to me your definition. From what I can, and I could be wrong, your definition of lie seems to equal being wrong about something.

I am going to a basketball game tomorrow.

I just made a statement for the future that I believe to be true. Now if I get in a car wreck and die. Am I now a liar? Did I just lie to you?

I am going to go to a basketball game tomorrow. Now that I said that and if I get in a car crash tomorrow and die, did I just lie to you?

well, "not in this lifetime" then reuniting with him 4-5 years later is a pretty good example when you're talking out of your ass....

I think this is a big deal, because Axl dedicated 20 fucking years from his life to get the GNR name going (in what direction? that's an other topic) . After the RNRHOF almost everybody give up the reunion idea... and now look at this....

Your examples got nothing to do with what a lie is, you just point out examples of accidents... i don't think that a multi million dollar deal is an accident...

Reports claim that this reunion was in the works for  years.... the "not in this lifetime" comment was made AFTER he played a show with Duff on stage so.... (the most coommon view is that Duff helped to get this thing together) 

To his credit though: he doesn't really have much choice after DJ Ashba left (as laughable as it sounds, DJ played an important role and when he left Axl got only 4tus, Dizzy and Frank and Pitman, even Tommy fucked off...)
But then again, he could have move forward with the new line ups, but he did not waant it after 2010

That being said: i really like this potential hybrid line up, some people waited for this moment at least  20 years... maybe not on these terms and circumstances, but anyway... You will see Slash and Axl on the same stage, there's a possibility that Izzy and Steven joined to them on some shows etc.

My only concern now is Axl's voice... he'd better be on top form, otherwise this will be a catastrophe.... mabye not financially, though

Edited by Strange Broue

Ah, I see. I disagree with your logic.

You do realize the "Not in this life time." quote was in reply to the question "Any chance of you doing a reunion tour with the full line up in the future?"  and this was only a few days before the letter to the RnRHF in 2012? Axl had just settled the lawsuit with Azoff in 2011 (kind of on topic, yay!) and was pretty irritated with people trying to force him into a reunion. In 2009 he was still clearly upset with Slash and was saying that there was 0 chance he would reunite with him. Internet lore says Axl and Slash started to work things out when Slash had to approve of Appetite for Democracy which was released in 2014- so probably not much earlier than that (I haven't had a chance to research this so I can't confirm if the lore is true or not).

I think it was even in 2011 when Slash was saying he and Axl were too far apart and he didn't think they could get back together.

The main reason I doubt that Axl was lying about it?  Slash has said that Axl is one of the most honest people he knows and Duff has said Axl doesn't lie* . I tend to believe the two people who have had to deal with his difficult ass and are attempting to deal with it again. I also tend to other people who have worked with Axl and said he was sincere/honest**

*(they have also implied in the past Axl's truth might not be the same as everyone else's truth )

**(this may be code for stubborn asshole who speaks his mind and does not pull his verbal punches, not completely sure)

Edited by sanity_lost
It is past my bedtime and I forgot to do the quote thing and other fixes

well, "not in this lifetime" then reuniting with him 4-5 years later is a pretty good example when you're talking out of your ass....

I think this is a big deal, because Axl dedicated 20 fucking years from his life to get the GNR name going (in what direction? that's an other topic) . After the RNRHOF almost everybody give up the reunion idea... and now look at this....

Your examples got nothing to do with what a lie is, you just point out examples of accidents... i don't think that a multi million dollar deal is an accident...

Reports claim that this reunion was in the works for  years.... the "not in this lifetime" comment was made AFTER he played a show with Duff on stage so.... (the most coommon view is that Duff helped to get this thing together) 

To his credit though: he doesn't really have much choice after DJ Ashba left (as laughable as it sounds, DJ played an important role and when he left Axl got only 4tus, Dizzy and Frank and Pitman, even Tommy fucked off...)
But then again, he could have move forward with the new line ups, but he did not waant it after 2010

That being said: i really like this potential hybrid line up, some people waited for this moment at least  20 years... maybe not on these terms and circumstances, but anyway... You will see Slash and Axl on the same stage, there's a possibility that Izzy and Steven joined to them on some shows etc.

My only concern now is Axl's voice... he'd better be on top form, otherwise this will be a catastrophe.... mabye not financially, though

It's just a big rumor. An illusion. Axl don't lie. Axl is brutally honest bla bla.

Axl lies as anybody else does. 

I guess he believes what he says most of the time but that doesn't make it true.

And there are specific examples where he was caught lying knowingly and willingly.

5 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It's just a big rumor. An illusion. Axl don't lie. Axl is brutally honest bla bla.

Axl lies as anybody else does. 

I guess he believes what he says most of the time but that doesn't make it true.

And there are specific examples where he was caught lying knowingly and willingly.

"One of the most straightforward, honest people I know." Slash http://loudwire.com/slash-what-he-admires-most-about-axl-rose/

"I came from a punk rock background, and that guy was more punk rock than anybody I’d seen, because everything is real. There’s no put on, it’s real, and that’s punk rock. He was honest, and real, the guy can’t lie, he can’t. That bear honesty and truth from that guy is more punk rock than anything else." Duff http://www.alternativenation.net/duff-mckagan-punk-rock-axl-rose-missed-pal/ I also listen to the interview on youtube somewhere, but I don't have a link.

That is from people who know him personally and well. Who have had real actual personal issues with him and know what a pain in the ass he is. He probably has changed over the years, people do, but Duff's comment was from not that long ago.

I doubt he was lying about his feelings on reuniting the band.

I don't think anyone thinks that Axl is the Golden Bastion of Truth and Fact. That he never once uttered an untruth on purpose.  What you see is what you get and he doesn't hide his intentions. That he doesn't tend to say or do things he doesn't think believes in unless he is really pressured into it. Which may not end well. In the past he has been mainly presented as though he was never the most mentally stable of people and pretty handy with self-delusion. I think "Complicated" was the favorite word to use for a while. There has been at least one mention of him being pretty good with misdirected anger as well. I can't find the quote, but I remember one from Axl himself talking about how he called out someone for something and he had no idea why because that guy wasn't the problem.

There are nuances. Things are not black and white. People and personalities are very complex and fascinating things.

5 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

You think the reunion happened BECAUSE DJ left?
I thought it was common sense by now that HE left because of the reunion, not the other way around. Besides, he left in july 2015. That doesnt leave much time to heal wounds that have been there for over 20 years.

For you to believe he was lying when he said he would never be up for a reunion you have to believe a reunion was in the works since then. Why would he lie about it? Why don't just get together at the RRHOF and announce it then? Doesn't make any sense, sorry.

People grow. Things change.

You know, he ain't got time to reminisce old novelties.

6 hours ago, Ant said:

I feel like we have a GNR musical in the making with all these song cues.

Fact is being a fan of this band is startin' to seem like nothing but a Bad.....

... a bad time. Actually it's pretty great. Carry on. 

(I love musicals)

Edited by emybdc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, emybdc said:

You think the reunion happened BECAUSE DJ left?
I thought it was common sense by now that HE left because of the reunion, not the other way around. Besides, he left in july 2015. That doesnt leave much time to heal wounds that have been there for over 20 years.

For you to believe he was lying when he said he would never be up for a reunion you have to believe a reunion was in the works since then. Why would he lie about it? Why don't just get together at the RRHOF and announce it then? Doesn't make any sense, sorry.

People grow. Things change.

You know, he ain't got time to reminisce old novelties.

(I love musicals)

There is/was a post on here in one of the threads which stated that Ashba's departure was indeed the catalyst for the reunion, that it was sudden and came as a shock to Axl. I can believe it - not because DJ is irreplaceable but what it symbolised - yet another failed nuGuns lineup. DJ was the third (fourth if you include Bumble) guitarist to bail on him since nuGuns started properly and I think Axl would have been hard pushed to find a decent replacement - I couldn't see any one even on Bumble/Ashba's level of fame who'd want to stick around long term playing other people's parts for years. 

Plus, Axl had pretty much run nuGuns into the ground (hence probably why Sixx:AM looked like the better option to Ashba over GN'R), the one hope for renewed interest was a new record but then Ashba (and Bumble) bailing meant that wasn't going to happen any time soon if he had to hire two new guitarists.

Personally, I don't believe Axl was misleading anyone about it or that his opinions have changed dramatically. Ultimately, I imagine he'd rather nuGuns was still going as he was the boss and could do what he wanted but now he knows the only real option is to go for a reunion. I imagine he's had to make some big concessions for Slash to come back. Ultimately, at this point in time Axl needs Slash more than Slash needs Axl IMO - Slash was going to strength to strength as a solo act and before long I imagine would have been a bigger draw than nuGuns which is a pretty stark contrast if you compare the size of the venues that VR and GN'R were playing in 2006.