The Axl Rose of 2002 is very underrated, especially his raw power.

I thought Axl sounded horrid in 2002 for the most part. Only the new tunes sounded cool. The VMA's was shockingly horrid, but he gave it his all for Madagascar. It was heartfelt, but still a weak performance that reflected the way he was singing.

The worst he ever sounded, but the shows were still fun imo and some shows like Boston and the one in MSG in New York were good. Still nothing compared to what he was truly capable of as we now know from 2010 and to a smaller extent, 2006. (imo)

Edited by Rovim

14 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Problem is right before this he's holding another note and he's wavering on his pitch. The scream did sound good, but I think if you look over the shows from that period you'll agree that Axl did not sound solid, and that it gets a fair shake by most fans. It really sounded like Axl with a chest infection. 

I have no idea why Axls voice changes so much, I mean he's not the only singer who doesn't practice or sings in a challenging style yet almost all other singers cone out each year and you can still definitely say that they sound like themselves (which is an odd thing to say).

2006 - great! Everything before 2006 - not great, very hit and miss, more misses.

I think it's down to fitness and diet (and then appropriate warms ups / lessons leading into a tour). Certainly his fluctuating weight and fitness appears to impact his voice - that and probably particularly around certain Guns periods no one being honest and telling him his voice isn't up to scratch, or performance in general.

2006 appears to the best era for him during 'new' guns. He also had a basic wardrobe and was in shape, both of which were refreshing.

4 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I feel that Boston, Albany, Toronto and MSG NY in 2002 were all better shows than Rio 2001.

the energy (both from axl and the crowd) at rio 2001 was incredible.

maybe not the greatest show in terms of music, but definitely one of the best in terms of energy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/asYL4Ab-ljw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by supercool
  • Like 1

I was at the Columbus show in 2002..fresh out of high school. The guy killed it live. Doesn't even compare to how he's been the last few years. I remember going to Hammerstein in 2006 and feeling not as entertained (even though it was a good show and he played twat). The 2002 Axl was a force to be reckoned with, just go back and check those killer screams from live and let die. Bone chilling.

Edited by grogmug

That video of Street of dreams was the first I've listened to it in a long time. I forgot how great it was. I remember watching the videos of the 2002 tour when they came out(and this song was still called "The Blues" I think.). Axl definitely had a drive about him then. Something he has shown again in later dates ('06, '10) with some exceptions. I think he definitely had moments where he shined in '02. But I think he had better vocal performances later.  

1 hour ago, zeppelinrocksnexttognr said:

That video of Street of dreams was the first I've listened to it in a long time. I forgot how great it was. I remember watching the videos of the 2002 tour when they came out(and this song was still called "The Blues" I think.). Axl definitely had a drive about him then. Something he has shown again in later dates ('06, '10) with some exceptions. I think he definitely had moments where he shined in '02. But I think he had better vocal performances later.  

It was best when it was the blues with the "ok, nevermind" bit from Rio. The Chinese Democracy version is a bit overkill for my liking.

49 minutes ago, EvH said:

"X is underrated" threads are overrated.

I just don't understand the hate for him in 2002. I'm guessing most people replying are newbies and never witnessed him live with the best band he ever had backing him besides the obvious original lineup.  Buckethead motivated him on a level similar to Slash. I still want that material.

7 minutes ago, grogmug said:

I just don't understand the hate for him in 2002. I'm guessing most people replying are newbies and never witnessed him live with the best band he ever had backing him besides the obvious original lineup.  Buckethead motivated him on a level similar to Slash. I still want that material.

Hahaha Yeah most people replying are newbies. Buckethead motivated him ona  level similar to Slash too.................. Holy fuck where do some of you come up with this nonsense. 

18 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

People that hate mainstream music thought 2002 Axl was the shit. Haha he was an underground music hero for hiring buckethead. So maybe that was the audience Axl was trying to break into that year. 

:lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grogmug said:

It was best when it was the blues with the "ok, nevermind" bit from Rio. The Chinese Democracy version is a bit overkill for my liking.

That is truly how I remember the song and I haven't been able to find that version in a long time. For awhile, the funniest thing I'd ever heard was Axl going "Ok, nevermind!" and seeming like he was gonna storm off, then literally going right back into the song. Its legitimately how I sing the song to this day lol!

On 13/02/2016 at 9:16 AM, grogmug said:

I remember him letting out these kinds of scream during Live and Let Die at EVERY concert from 2001-2002. He lost it from 2006 on. He's had some screams that were about half of what this was, but if he could get this back, the entire tour will take off. I'm sure it will be hard for a 53 year old man to do that, but prove us wrong Axl. Take over the world again with this band!

No, no, no, no. He didn't have less power in 2006: he clearly trained his voice to sing more like used to, right from Hammerstein. In 2002  he was singing clean. He could have done the same if he'd trained his voice the same way. 

BTW, Pittsburgh LALD is the highest, longest bunch of screams ever. 

23 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

The thing thats underrated about 2002 Axl is his energy. He was still able to run like old Axl and he didn't get as tired. Of course, that came with his voice being VERY clean, but you can't deny that was the last we saw of "old Axl" in terms of sheer energy. 

With respect, what on Earth are you talking about?! Have you not seen any gigs or footage from 06-10?! 2010 was the closest he came to 90s energy by a million miles. Watch London with Duff. Jesus. 

1 minute ago, Jordan Rose said:

With respect, what on Earth are you talking about?! Have you not seen any gigs or footage from 06-10?! 2010 was the closest he came to 90s energy by a million miles. Watch London with Duff. Jesus. 

Thats the ONE example I expected. Yes, he occasionally still ran around and had classic energy, but it wasn't a given. In 2002, it was a given he would be running around like crazy and that he'd have the lung capacity to really belt stuff out. It wouldn't necessarily sound good, but he had the lung capacity to still run around and be able to hold notes. IMO, everything after 2002, that was never a guarantee. Axl may have sounded great in 06 and 10, but the energy was usually more subdued, which is fine, and it was always a toss up. I can't be the only one thinking he didn't move the same way after that.

Yeah, the ONE time he really looked like classic Axl was, SURPRISE, the one time an original member he hadn't played with in forever came out and did a song with him. I don't see how I'm far off in saying the one thing in Axl's corner in 2002 was he moved around in a way he never really did afterwards. And it makes sense. It was the only time he was still younger than 40.

6 hours ago, grogmug said:

I was at the Columbus show in 2002..fresh out of high school. The guy killed it live. Doesn't even compare to how he's been the last few years. I remember going to Hammerstein in 2006 and feeling not as entertained (even though it was a good show and he played twat). The 2002 Axl was a force to be reckoned with, just go back and check those killer screams from live and let die. Bone chilling.

There are certainly some solid individual performances of certain songs at different shows but a force to be reckoned with?! Again, 2002 Axl from any song, any show pales to 2010 in every way. In 2002 he was like a deer in headlights a lot of the time and he admits tied as much i.e it was a reunion tour in that he managed to scrape together enough bits of his  to bminde there. In 06-10 his entire presence snd energy was closer to 1992. In 2002 he was closer to the beaten dog that Moby spoke of.