The Axl Rose of 2002 is very underrated, especially his raw power.

I remember him letting out these kinds of scream during Live and Let Die at EVERY concert from 2001-2002. He lost it from 2006 on. He's had some screams that were about half of what this was, but if he could get this back, the entire tour will take off. I'm sure it will be hard for a 53 year old man to do that, but prove us wrong Axl. Take over the world again with this band!

Edited by grogmug
  • Like 1

He had some rasp in 2002. He also hasn't let out a scream like the example above since 2002. He did it consistently on that tour. I guess I'm in the minority, but I would take the 2002 Axl Rose over any other new version of Axl out there any day of the week.

40 minutes ago, trqster said:

A real shame that rasp was only there for those (powerful) screams.... Axl Rose without rasp is simply not Axl Rose, and in 2006 he got his mojo back.

• Like 1

2002 was hit or miss for me. Sometimes he sounded terrible (MTV Awards) and the image change came out of left field. Between 1993 and 2002 he changed, it took me a while to recalibrate in my head that it was actually him.

2006 was much better. Saw a few of the gigs and he had definitely found his mojo again

The thing thats underrated about 2002 Axl is his energy. He was still able to run like old Axl and he didn't get as tired. Of course, that came with his voice being VERY clean, but you can't deny that was the last we saw of "old Axl" in terms of sheer energy, in addition to lung capacity like the scream you pointed out. He couldn't sing great, but he wasn't winded like he would become and yes that running and that scream is something he could never do after this tour.

If you could put the 93 voice with the way he moved in 2002, he was basically classic Axl. So in the Nu era, it went from being same energy as classic days with worse voice, to better voice but way less energy most of the time than classic days.

Edited by gunsfanoldie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, grogmug said:

I remember him letting out these kinds of scream during Live and Let Die at EVERY concert from 2001-2002. He lost it from 2006 on. He's had some screams that were about half of what this was, but if he could get this back, the entire tour will take off. I'm sure it will be hard for a 53 year old man to do that, but prove us wrong Axl. Take over the world again with this band!

Problem is right before this he's holding another note and he's wavering on his pitch. The scream did sound good, but I think if you look over the shows from that period you'll agree that Axl did not sound solid, and that it gets a fair shake by most fans. It really sounded like Axl with a chest infection. 

I have no idea why Axls voice changes so much, I mean he's not the only singer who doesn't practice or sings in a challenging style yet almost all other singers cone out each year and you can still definitely say that they sound like themselves (which is an odd thing to say).

2006 - great! Everything before 2006 - not great, very hit and miss, more misses.

Don't you think axl used any trick for the rasp in 2006? For example, I feel his rasp a bit artificial on the Rock Am Ring performance and on the Rock in Rio Lisbon 2006 there wasn't too much rasp. But I think it's rasp sounded way more artificial in 2010, and on the 1st show of 2011(the Rock In Rio 2011 disaster) it's very rare that there was no rasp at all

Edited by fanfzero

Also proved not every song benefits from rasp. I liked The Blues with full clean and the first few minutes of Madagascar totally clean were amazing at Rock In Rio 2001 imo.

When he has enough power it sounds cool with full clean on some tunes, but shit like You Could Be Mine asks for rasp. I like that he's versatile as a singer, but if he wasn't lazy perhaps he could have had better control vocally speaking.

2010 was raspy and he was also quite powerful vocally. 2006 had a lot of shows with full clean and the power alone didn't help some songs cause it lacked a certain grit, not really rasp, but it was much too clean for Out Ta Get Me in 2002 and Axl attempting the end of the chorus sounded funny as fuck. It was the first time I could actually picture Mickey Mouse screaming the popo is out ta get him.

Edited by Rovim

3 hours ago, supercool said:

by the way, rir 2001 was 15 years ago, more years than between the afd release (1987) and rir 2001...

time perception is a strange thing.

The time since Chinese Democracy was released until now (7+ years) is longer than the time the original band released their albums (6+ years). 

So much wasted time...at least the show is getting back on the road. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Crazyman said:

The time since Chinese Democracy was released until now (7+ years) is longer than the time the original band released their albums (6+ years). 

So much wasted time...at least the show is getting back on the road. 

...for a hits tour! You can forget about new music for x amount of time.

10 hours ago, grogmug said:

It was neat he could still push it out. But even that was a drastic step down from the almighty screeching howl he used to do during that part back with UYI era GNR.

Edited by moreblack

Part of Axl's problem is back in the day he had an absolutely amazing voice and insane amounts of energy to back it up.

He still has a good/great voice (though seemingly inconsistent), but compared to that absolutely amazing and mesmerizing energy he had before it will always be lacking.

I imagine the most difficult person for an artist to be compared to is his/her self.

Edited by sanity_lost

2 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

2002 Axl is something I don't want to remember...talking about how he's serpico and how his old bandmates can suck his ....

That rant was entertaining to me when I was 17. It hasn't aged very well. 

Live and Let Die in 2002 was great. His screams haven't sounded like that since and I miss it. His Micky voice however that plagued most of the rest of that year I can do without though.