Do you think Axl and Slash have discussed the whole crowd hostage/band name contract situation?

4 hours ago, alfierose said:

That's an interesting quote from Tom Petty, is he classed as a solo act though? I suppose a slight difference with a band like GNR or the Stones is that the money has to be split a few ways minus costs.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. He's got a big band that needs to be paid and has been with him since decades. Kinda like the E-Street band.

5 hours ago, alfierose said:

That's an interesting quote from Tom Petty, is he classed as a solo act though? I suppose a slight difference with a band like GNR or the Stones is that the money has to be split a few ways minus costs.

I do think in the last decade we have all become accustomed, and you could say conditioned, to accept paying a lot more for things that used to be free or low cost. Everyone has smartphone contracts, subscriptions to Netflix, Prime, expensive coffee a'la Starbucks etc...in a lot of respects we are so used to paying a lot it often goes unquestioned as to whether it's actually okay to charge at a certain level for stuff.

Tom petty and the Heartbreakers. Solo artist too, but his main gig is as part of a group. 

I know what you're saying about being used to pay above and beyond, but that really isn't OK. Taking everything into account, are concerts (or whatever product, service) that much better now than they were in the 70s & 80s? Are we getting anything extra for the price increase? I'd guess that things haven't improved dramatically enough to make the case of $20 tickets for a summer Aerosmith show in 1977, and $150 to see them in 2007 (Aerosmith, in my experience were not overly expensive, just used their name as an older act).

It's not always the band at fault obviously, but at the end of the day they make the final call when they are rolling stone, Metallica, u2, gnr size.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BassistSeb said:

Great post! :) 

I've always had respect for artists that keep their prices down. I'm going to see Queen in June and whilst there were premium seats to the side of the General Admission standing area for 100 odd quid, my GA ticket cost £52, considering it cost £39.50 for GA when I saw them in Hyde Park in 2005 I don't think that's too bad. Similarly, Robert Plant has never charged stupid prices, it's always been the £40-£60 mark. The Stones are band whose prices have skyrocketed in a decade. In 2006 the best seats were £125, now the nosebleeds aren't too far off that! David Gilmour as will. I think with some older acts (like The Stones) it's probably partly due to the fact that they're doing less intensive tours now, ie they want the same payout but for fewer gigs. 

One artist that really surprised me was Joe Bonamassa, he recently announced a UK tour and top price tickets were over £100, I can kind of get it with the 'legendary' acts but whilst I think he's a great guitar player I wouldn't say he's a 'legend' on par with say Gilmour, Fleetwood Mac, The Stones etc. (not yet anyway...) Still if people are willing to pay it why not eh? I decided not to go though.

Personally, barring festival tickets I've never spent more than £100 to see a band and I'd have issues justifying paying an amount that could easily pay for a new amp/guitar/bass. The most expensive act I've seen was the Stones in Hyde Park in 2013 which was about £100 after fees, but as it was mainly GA and I managed to get up close I thought it was worth it. Plus, Mick Taylor was with them.

I'm hoping if/when GN'R come to the UK it's £100 and under for the best seats. I imagine most of the shows will be GA floor anyway. Ultimately if no one was willing to pay crazy prices then surely this wouldn't happen! Having said that, weren't a lot of the Stones' 'lucky dip' tickets upgraded to the best section on one of their recent tours for that reason - ie the stupidly priced tickets weren't selling out?

On the ticket price thing, on my country (Uruguay, Southamerica, Third world) i recently bought a ticket to see the stones and it cost me 110 dollars and i am on the grandstand and not even in the fornt one! I know the prices on Argentina were similar and Brazil too. The promoters literally rape us because the passion over here for the bands we love is insane. So, i understand but dont complain too much, when Guns visit southamerica they are gonna leave with the pockets full of money.Everybody does it, since 1492....

Check the prices on the rolling stones. 1 dollar = 32 uruguayan pesos. And remember, this is not an arena this is a soccer stadium. And in some places the visibility is utter crap

Mapa de localidades

4 hours ago, GNR_uruguay said:

On the ticket price thing, on my country (Uruguay, Southamerica, Third world) i recently bought a ticket to see the stones and it cost me 110 dollars and i am on the grandstand and not even in the fornt one! I know the prices on Argentina were similar and Brazil too. The promoters literally rape us because the passion over here for the bands we love is insane. So, i understand but dont complain too much, when Guns visit southamerica they are gonna leave with the pockets full of money.Everybody does it, since 1492....

Check the prices on the rolling stones. 1 dollar = 32 uruguayan pesos. And remember, this is not an arena this is a soccer stadium. And in some places the visibility is utter crap

Mapa de localidades

Yeah, to be honest I think the Stones were the band that pretty much started the crazy prices thing for rock concerts. I mean in 2006 £125 was seen as really expensive for the bests seats at the time. How times change... I mean the only other band that charged that much was Zeppelin in 2007 but that was for charity so that's understandable. Plus for a one off Zeppelin show I would have been more than happy to pay that! Then in 2012 the Stones were charging something like 300 odd quid for the best seats.

I can't really blame other acts for copying them and I think the resale market is also to blame, if people were willing to spend crazy many on scalpers' tickets I guess bands figured that it made sense to charge more. In many ways I guess the older acts want a big pay day before they retire. Plus, lots of their fans will be older and have the cash. Bonamassa really surprised me though. 

Agree re stadiums, personally I'm not a huge fan. In the cheap seats at an area you still feel part of the show whereas the back of a stadium is miles and miles away. As I said I'm hoping that it's GA standing for any potential UK Stadium shows as it tends to work out as better value. 

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 1

I think Axl and Duff have hashed things out and probably hang out together just as friends. Duff even said as much in his podcast interview a year ago with Chris Jericho. Remember, Axl said some not-so-nice things about Duff in the infamous "MyGNR chats." I think they had to get past that.

I'm not convinced Axl and Slash have done so. I wouldn't be shocked if they still haven't had a one-on-one, face-to-face conversation. It might be cordial but I'm not convinced they are "friends" again. Business partners? Yes, obviously, for now. Friends? We'll see.

Edited by 3rd Wheel