When is it ok to break your moral code for the "greater good"?

Ace Nova

We were just discussing the issue of torture in the politics thread and this came to mind.  When is it acceptable to go against your morals for the greater good?  And if you feel it is morally acceptable to do so, in certain situations, does that make it moral or immoral?

Edited by Kasanova King

No one has morals when it comes to national security.

Morals are like the book Animal Farm; Some people being more equal than others. Morality is hypocrisy.

Case and point.

'Made in China'...

USA and the EU don't want our children working in sweatshops but it's okay for Chinese children to be working in sweatshops.

Case in point again;

Any war ever.

If we were 'moral'...

No one ever said we get to change or influence China (unless you're China)... But whoever said we have to trade with them?

Fuck 'em, let 'em starve for all I care, not respecting copyright infringement, putting slaves to work, putting kids to work, so many mouths to feed they can't afford my luxury, fuck 'em, those planet polluting no concept of ownership having arse holes don't need to be fed, who ever said we needed THAT in the world.

I say we can't tell China what to do...

We only need them for their slave labour and in turn, this current China don't pay royalties on their own versions which aren't built to specifications and I hear, in many cases, can be inferior. I say, void the US Dollars China has, call it money lost on the black market, start the debt again and send the bill to China, who of course, won't pay (they never do), and then control our own production outlawing made in China.... It is so extreme. There is a reason they eat dogs and consider insects a source of protien etc)... There are a lot of them.. But sadly, if we were to be moral, we'd stop trade with China on our side by some international embargo. I personally feel civil rights affects my life, so everything in my world should benefit everything in my world. I buy a laptop, made in Australia or EU or USA or wherever with decent labour laws, so we can all benefit from the cutting of China, and rest assured that the supply chain is clean as well as giving China something to think about. Like becoming ChinRussia for all I care.

Edited by Snake-Pit